The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Can We All Agree That The Offseason Was a Smashing Success for JB

Rate this topic

coastal.view

On 9/17/2019 at 10:15 PM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Don't forget...

Everyone here thought 2018 was a smashing success - until it wasn't.

And everyone here thought the 2017 signings were a smashing success - until they weren't.

And 2016, well let's not even mention 2016...

If you think in terms of where we were and how we improved and what we were striving for, I'd say those years were success'.. You can't get to this 2019-2020 season without the work done in those previous years. Gillis kept building this team for right now and kept finding himself behind the 8 ball.. JB keeps building this team for the future and it's starting to help us in the now. I felt like compared to last year we just needed to add a couple of things..In a perfect world, the roster looks exactly like it looks right now.. I couldn't be more excited!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

If you think in terms of where we were and how we improved and what we were striving for, I'd say those years were success'.. You can't get to this 2019-2020 season without the work done in those previous years. Gillis kept building this team for right now and kept finding himself behind the 8 ball.. JB keeps building this team for the future and it's starting to help us in the now. I felt like compared to last year we just needed to add a couple of things..In a perfect world, the roster looks exactly like it looks right now.. I couldn't be more excited!

I agree with a lot that you are saying.  One minor point though, and that is that in the first few years, the 'retool' years, Benning was trying to plug the leaks rather than build for the future.  Since then, he's done a very good job on a real rebuild without tanking (on purpose at least) since then.  Notable exceptions: Gudbranson and Eriksson signings.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Gillis kept building this team for right now and kept finding himself behind the 8 ball.. JB keeps building this team for the future and it's starting to help us in the now. 

Ummm, I like how being the best team in hockey for years is all of a sudden 'behind the 8 ball' - while being the worst team in hockey over several years is helping...

• Cheers 1

On 9/17/2019 at 11:12 PM, WHL rocks said:

I like the miller trade Fergland signing and elder signing.  Love the Pod draft pick.  He's a 3rd line winger at worst with good chance of being a timo meier type top 6 winger. 

Myers signing is OK he's overpaid by a mill. Boeser signing same. Should have been 7 or 8 years. Boes got market value but only 3 yrs.  JB needed to get him signed long term to balance out the aav. 

Not sure how Myers is overpaid by a mill. Most analysts had him going in the 6.5 to 7.5m range. No way Boeser's agent recommends he sign 7-8 years at the same cap hit. They both know in two to three years he'll be worth 8 to 10m. So that's what those additional years would likely look like. No way they leave that much money on the table long term. No young player on the rise will sign long term at current face value. Only a fool, with an idiot agent, would take that kind of deal.

Not sure where the notion comes from that players should sign here for peanuts, but it unrealistic. Maybe because the Sedins took less than market on their deals, or Hamhuis signing well before market to come back to BC and play for a contender. Every team gets those guys, but as with every other team, more will be the players looking out for the full value compensation. We got Myers at a discount as it is because he wanted to be back in BC. Boeser is not going to short change his futrure earning potential just because fans want him long term at his current worth. 

• Cheers 1

It was great because I get a team of players I want to watch, not a bunch of sissies. 

Really though, which of us wouldn’t have been able to simply spend house money on FAs to plug roster holes partly made by our own age-gap replaceathon and draft pick giveaway JB initially went on here? 

I mean, it’s hardly exec of the year work to spend house money to fix your problems. 

Slow clap, mostly for entertainment purposes, not for managerial prowess. 

On 9/17/2019 at 10:15 PM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Don't forget...

Everyone here thought 2018 was a smashing success - until it wasn't.

And everyone here thought the 2017 signings were a smashing success - until they weren't.

And 2016, well let's not even mention 2016...

I didn't I had them pegged bottom 5 and was correct. This year they are on the edge. Not better than Vegas.

But it's fun!

As most people mentioned the real fun is in 2 years.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, I like how being the best team in hockey for years is all of a sudden 'behind the 8 ball' - while being the worst team in hockey over several years is helping...

Umm, like thats totally not what I meant. My point was that Gillis built his team to make a run, once, a culmination of a symphony so to speak, while JB keeps looking to build with a focus on the future, while we look like we will really start winning this year... I recall during the Gillis years, we didn't have a 1st round pick for 6-7 years... 1st round picks are gold, especially with a GM like JB..

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

I agree with a lot that you are saying.  One minor point though, and that is that in the first few years, the 'retool' years, Benning was trying to plug the leaks rather than build for the future.  Since then, he's done a very good job on a real rebuild without tanking (on purpose at least) since then.  Notable exceptions: Gudbranson and Eriksson signings.

I think we can all agree it was between ownership and giving the Sedins a final chance that kept the re build from really starting then.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Cheers 2

On 9/17/2019 at 8:46 PM, Grape said:

Trust me, I follow various forums for my other favourite sports teams, and CDC is overwhelmingly more positive than everyone else. Even HF Canucks boards are tame compared to most other sports boards.

I find HF boards overly negative

Reddit is pretty neutral

CDC is a cheerleading forum

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I didn't I had them pegged bottom 5 and was correct. This year they are on the edge. Not better than Vegas.

But it's fun!

As most people mentioned the real fun is in 2 years.

I think the real fun is this and next year.  If they play well, in 2 years our top end players will get PAID.  So we'll either lose one of them as happens to teams or we'll keep them and have no money for bottom half of the lineup.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/18/2019 at 10:45 AM, ItTakesAnArmy said:

:lol:He is a good pick, but who else? Unless he has some serious problems that had other GM's found out something. Going from #2 to #10 was a godsend for Benning if the kid is as good as he looked last year. 

Nils Höglander was a great pick as well, I can't wait to see his development over the next two years.  I love that we so many promising prospects in the pipeline someone to watch and look forward to for several years to come.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Call me crazy but let's see how regular season goes? Maybe even see one game with real lines and such?

One thing everyone should be able to agree on, willing to bet everyone hasn't been this excited for the start of the season in a LONG time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1