The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Can We All Agree That The Offseason Was a Smashing Success for JB

Rate this topic

coastal.view

On 9/17/2019 at 7:25 PM, coastal.view said:

i will not enumerate all the things accomplished by the nucks gm since last season ended

many considered the brock signing to be the final piece before a complete assessment could be made

i think that contract is as consistently good as all the other things jb did this past summer

drafting, trading, ufa signings, other contract matters

(i'm sure many will nitpick -- i was never expecting perfection)

a top tier off season performance by gm jb in my books

good job!!

When Tryamkin lifts the cup and hands it to Jamie Benn, then and only then ill concede that management did a good job. Only half kidding, they have done an outstanding job drafting and a passable job in signing players. Seriously need to see some of these prospects mature before we ACTUALLY know.

• Cheers 1

Yes.

Basically, he promised to revamp the defence and add more scoring depth to help Brock, Bo, and EP.

Defence: 

- Re-signed Edler at short 2 year term at decent cap.

- Signed a top 4D (Myers) at decent cap to complement Edler, Tanev, Hughes. That's a playoff caliber defence when healthy.

- Signed an affordable physical top 6D in Benn.

- Depth D in Fantenberg is also a solid signing.

Scoring:

- Ferland and Miller bring 40+ and 50+ points respectively. 

- Re-signed Brock at a lower than expected cap hit. Now we have cap structure that can accommodate EP's next contracts within a reasonable amount. Barring EP winning Hart trophy, I think we may be able to sign EP to a contract around Sebastian Aho's 8.5M.

Drafting:

Pod, who was rated #3.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

It looks like early returns for JB and co so far this pre-season.   Sure the Oilers didn’t ice a very good team - but we iced our second line only and a lot of regulars were left out too...maybe it wasn’t fair to play Markstrom but it wouldn’t be fair to ice Demko either and we played their supposed starter until he was chased ... also own come from behind wins against CAL twice - 

Miller is going to elevate the entire team because now Horvat has a quality player ... it’s early yet but it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up having a second line that outscores some first lines (and not just OTTs, that’s a given) ... LE looks to be doing exactly what I’ve been saying the best thing for the team is at this point - working to stay relevant and outproduce the guys that are chasing him (raising his stock so hopefully we can trade him later and helping the team in the meantime) which is a bonus.   

Generally the pre-season means nothing - but this years is the most important one we’ve had in a while with all the new bodies - and someone seems to be arriving out of the woodwork in Brisebois too.   Every year he has a good camp and impresses but this year it looks like he’s finally arrived.  It’s obvious to me at least that he can play with better players and keep up, maybe even add too.   If we loose a guy he’s definitely the first call-up.  And when he does get called up maybe he sticks. 

Rafferty also looks decent, with some nice offensive upside.   

This season looks to have the earmarkings for a good one - the teams definitely turned a corner - anything can happen in this league now under the cap, we have a salary structure that is similar to Vegas their first year and also have what looks like a 1a,1b  top two lines followed by two 3rd lines.    Scoring by committee and depth help win series...can’t wait until we finally make the show which I’m pretty sure will be this year .

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Baggins said:

Not sure how Myers is overpaid by a mill. Most analysts had him going in the 6.5 to 7.5m range. No way Boeser's agent recommends he sign 7-8 years at the same cap hit. They both know in two to three years he'll be worth 8 to 10m. So that's what those additional years would likely look like. No way they leave that much money on the table long term. No young player on the rise will sign long term at current face value. Only a fool, with an idiot agent, would take that kind of deal.

Not sure where the notion comes from that players should sign here for peanuts, but it unrealistic. Maybe because the Sedins took less than market on their deals, or Hamhuis signing well before market to come back to BC and play for a contender. Every team gets those guys, but as with every other team, more will be the players looking out for the full value compensation. We got Myers at a discount as it is because he wanted to be back in BC. Boeser is not going to short change his futrure earning potential just because fans want him long term at his current worth. 

Yes, many posters have no negotiating experience, are quite sure that they would be wonderful negotiators if they ever got the chance, and are determined to believe that you can always get whatever you want if you are just stubborn enough. JB has done an excellent job this year.

• Cheers 2

On 9/17/2019 at 10:13 PM, Rush17 said:

I agree. Now it is in Travis Green's hands to make this into something. If the team struggles to start the year he better fix it quick! 

Won't be a surprise if the team doesn't do too well out of the gate, as it usually takes time for all the new players to gel with the existing players and new system.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:32 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

- JT Miller trade. We definitely gave up a lot, but we received a very good player in return.

Right now, we gave up nothing but prospect Hugo Alnefelt and something in the future of unknown value.

• Cheers 2

On 9/19/2019 at 10:38 PM, Davathor said:

Call me crazy but let's see how regular season goes? Maybe even see one game with real lines and such?

ok i understand

and to some extent agree with this sentiment

we do not know how things turn out

until enough time goes by to show how things turn out

but this line of commentary

suggests that it is not valid or worthwhile to chit chat with friends

on a daily basis about how a person thinks the team is doing

do we all have to wait a year or years before sharing our views of what jb has done this summer?
i think we can give our views daily based on the information accumulated to that point in time

and in fact

that is how we all live our lives

and that is what the aim of this thread is

JB had himself a kick a$$ summer but him and Green have some real tough decisions to make getting the roster down to size.

We could lose some on waivers, as well as some may not be happy campers being sent to Utica. JB could maybe make a trade.

I am glad it is their job not mine.(would love the paycheque though)

• Cheers 1

On 9/20/2019 at 5:42 AM, snipes2539 said:

Nils Höglander was a great pick as well, I can't wait to see his development over the next two years.  I love that we so many promising prospects in the pipeline someone to watch and look forward to for several years to come.

So many? Like 3 isn't it for 6 years work

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I think 'normally' you'd hope to add 1 good piece in the offseason/through UFA.

If they'd managed to acquire Miller, and Myers, I'd have considered that a pretty good haul in the offseason.

But what is surprising is that they managed to sign Myers at what seems like less than typical market value (slightly less cap, and term, than expected/projected)- and perhaps equally or even more deflated terms for Ferland (3.5x4 is a fraction of some of the speculation/expectations).  

Adding Myers, Ferland, Miller and Benn for a combined 16.75 million = is borderline shocking imo.

Of course, with the added reward comes that added risk that one or more of those guys don't turn out or live up to those terms, but I think under the circumstances those are highly mitigated risks, and at shorter terms than anyone probably could have expected - so I think the calculated risks are relatively quite good.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, Drakrami said:

lol, same things could have been said about Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson. 1st game hasn't even started, stop jumping the gun. 

Miller is miles ahead as a player than Guds Eriksson and Sutter combined.. just sayin and he was worth the price and more.. can hardly wait until people who slammed the move to see that for themselves and eat some crow

Edited by iceman64

23 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think 'normally' you'd hope to add 1 good piece in the offseason/through UFA.

If they'd managed to acquire Miller, and Myers, I'd have considered that a pretty good haul in the offseason.

But what is surprising is that they managed to sign Myers at what seems like less than typical market value (slightly less cap, and term, than expected/projected)- and perhaps equally or even more deflated terms for Ferland (3.5x4 is a fraction of some of the speculation/expectations).  

Adding Myers, Ferland, Miller and Benn for a combined 16.75 million = is borderline shocking imo.

Of course, with the added reward comes that added risk that one or more of those guys don't turn out or live up to those terms, but I think under the circumstances those are highly mitigated risks, and at shorter terms than anyone probably could have expected - so I think the calculated risks are relatively quite good.

Well I like the odds of the risk because this it seems to be players a notch up or 2 from the type of players Jimbo got this time, better "driven" attitudes that HATE to lose and do whatever it takes to win.. not just float along..  cough cough LE cough cough.. 

Agressive, tough, skilled and hard to play against is the name of the game so I'd say with Ferland Miller Benn and Myers, he won the odds easily! That already on top of Brock Petey and Bo.. and the pick gamble on Hughes? Uhhh same thing..  Kids got natural born skills you can't teach..

I think those falling for some of the media saying we probably might not make it into the playoffs forget we have a much better team now AND some reasonable depth so we don't lose a string of games and get knocked out of contention. 

JB had improved his game too, he's learned from his mistakes and seems to be far better in negotiations now than when he arrived and it's beginning to show.

can hardly wait for season games and if we're quick out of the gate again we might be able to sustain it this year.

Here's hoping!

On 9/20/2019 at 7:38 AM, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, many posters have no negotiating experience, are quite sure that they would be wonderful negotiators if they ever got the chance, and are determined to believe that you can always get whatever you want if you are just stubborn enough. JB has done an excellent job this year.

Some? That's the majority of the CDC following the media who are much the same.. as if negotiating is always just "that simple" 

One thing we must remember from the 2011-2012 era, we had players taking a discounted contract to stay with or join our team.  Today, we need to remember that some of our players took discounts to make this team great. And when Big T has to choose to stay in Russia or sees how good this team has become, he will probably be on the next flight down here.  Truly there is some excitement on the room.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

first 2 games, 0 wins, and one game where Vancouver is blanked.

I think creating this thread was a little premature 

Maybe that post is too.   Both games were close, well McDavid stole the first one...this team scored twice as many goals this preseason as last one, not that worried (other then how long this Leivo experiment will run - guessing until Roussel is back) and neither should anyone else be.    BB missed training camp - will need a week to get up to game speed, and with half the team shuffled it will take time to gel.   Already we’ve lost four points to division rivals...that does suck - but the actual game play wasn’t that bad...

Myers is playing 7 more minutes then last year and doing just fine, he’s a HUGE upgrade on Guddy.   Shoving Gio was just great to see.   Miller has been awesome every game he’s played - could end up a key cog in our forward group (he has been so far),  Benn isn’t as noticeable as Hutton in a good way...Ferland meh but it’s two games.   This team will be better then then last year - let’s re-address after 15/20 games.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1