The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings sign Ben Hutton

Too bad the public statements coming out of LA made it sound like he was signed because he was a heartbeat with NHL experience.  Not a lot of respect thrown out towards him.  Really states the fall of LA well.  From Todd McLellan:  "the fact that he’d be comfortable jumping on that ice tonight in an NHL building in an NHL uniform is real important right now for our back end.”

Per Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

1. Winnipeg had interest in Ben Hutton, but had to wait until things settled before formalizing anything. Hutton had to get started, and the Kings were ready. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-byfuglien-decision-will-major-ripple-effect/

From Jon Rosen in LA Kings Insider:

— I didn’t see Ben Hutton at first but then, there he was, like an El Segundo oasis. I’m not sure if he joined the group late or if my eyes were lazy, but he was wearing #15 and was an extra. How far behind is he? “Only five days,” according to McLellan. “I think it’s five now, and veteran players that have played in the league, they already have that sense of time and space and nerves and what it’s going to feel like to play in a building, so he’s got that under his belt already. The big thing for him is getting his personal life in order here – finding comfort in the community, finding somewhere to live, and do all that type of stuff so that’s put aside by the time the regular season starts. He’s probably behind in that area. The hockey concepts he’ll catch up real quick.” More to come from Todd and Ben.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Media scrum in LA = 3 guys + 1 sort of lurking in the background 

And three of the four reporters are from Vancouver.  And the fourth is from the team visiting the Kings next game.  I think the NHL draws less attention in the southern US markets than infomercials for Dr. Tomatoes magic slicer.  

48 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Media scrum in LA = 3 guys + 1 sort of lurking in the background 

Ben looks to be losing his "baby fat" from his face.  It's what always made him look boyish. 

Not to cast shade at MG, but Hutton's one of the few MG picks that has developed a solid career and at least spent a few seasons with the Canucks.  On top of that, he was a 5th round pick in a very poor draft year (Gaunce is the only other guy from that draft year who has seen NHL action).

While I of course hope the Canucks crush the Kings throughout the season, still hope Hutton can do well and continue his NHL career. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Im sure we’ll see a different Hutton as a player, it was a soul searching summer. I Have a feeling he’ll have a good year. He’ll probably be traded at the trade deadline. If his first half of season is really good with the crappy Kings he will have value. 

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

If true,  fire the agent.  Unless he didn’t want to be in a Canadian market again?

Seems like they overplayed their hand in thinking they would get a serious deal. Is that strictly the agent's fault? The agent must've brought the offer to Hutton and he madly have said no or to wait for other offers. But certainly doesn't look good now if he did get that offer. Probably fake news considering the source.