The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need more toughness

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd like to add another tough winger who's role is grit and some fisticuffs, I liked Arsenault last night and of course Big Mac for sure.

Waive down Eriksson to make a spot for a tough guy. Miller and Ferland are tough but are more valuable staying in the game.

Eriksson had Prust stay with him for a week in the summer giving him boxing lessons and teaching him the "ratboy poke".

I heard that somewhere (or did I just make it up? Maybe .........)

Edited by Googlie

12 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

i really think ferland will do his job and benn will but hey i still think they will get pushed around a bit..we will see what other teams try against the canucks this season..going to have to play discipline tough hockey and take one for the team...if it means sacrificing your body for few penalties ...

hustling 50 cent GIF

• Haha 1

I think that the kind of toughness needed to win these days isn't really about counting the number of enforcers on your team, I think that it is more about developing team toughness.  It perhaps takes a certain critical mass of big bodies to get there but it's really more about getting every single player to buy into the fact that it is a physical contact game and everyone sticks up for everyone else.  Say what you like about the Bruins but their culture has always been exactly that and if you look closely you will even see the goal scorers and the "skill guys" getting their hands dirty now and then (of course I'm not trying to suggest acting like Marchand, that's taking it too far in an unsportsmanlike direction).  I'm suggesting that team toughness is what is needed and while not every player necessarily needs to fight, every single player does have to make hits and take hits to make plays from time to time.  I think we have the right mix of personnel right now, we just need to work on that team toughness culture from top to bottom and get absolutely everyone on board.  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stawns said:

At some point people are going to have to realize and accept that that's just not the way the NHL is anymore, not the way hockey is anymore.

Agreed.

Though I live in Toronto where people seem to repeat that more than anywhere.

I think it's because they've been building a team to hopefully compete with Tampa.

It feels like the last 2 playoffs have shown the NHL and hockey still require some serious toughness included with the speed and skill.

30 minutes ago, nzan said:

Agreed.

Though I live in Toronto where people seem to repeat that more than anywhere.

I think it's because they've been building a team to hopefully compete with Tampa.

It feels like the last 2 playoffs have shown the NHL and hockey still require some serious toughness included with the speed and skill.

Absolutely, grit and physical play still reign supreme, imo.  However, fighting is pretty much gone and players like Hughes are just going to have to learn to deal with slashes, high sticks etc etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Absolutely, grit and physical play still reign supreme, imo.  However, fighting is pretty much gone and players like Hughes are just going to have to learn to deal with slashes, high sticks etc etc etc.

Ugh. I agree absolutely obviously, but I'd sure like to see Ferland etc show some folks that slashes and high sticks won't be tolerated

• Upvote 3

It feels like the Canucks have finally got a more balanced team.  Not particularly tough, but not soft anymore.  Add Rousell, and hopefully Tryamkin either at the end of this season or start of the next. Tram isn't a fighter, but like Myers, his size alone can be intimidating.   I believe that its a cumulative effect on the team as a whole. And how much the boys can play a "team toughness".  You don't need every player to be a goon. All you  need is a tipping point of a few more aggressive, bigger players to make the other more skill players to feel comfortable, and have a little more bravado themselves by osmosis. And I think we finally have that culture being developed. Would have liked to have kept Luke Schenn (@ 700k), at least until Tram comes back, but can't have everything I guess.

• Upvote 1

I like the added toughness with Miller/Fer/Myers but I think we need a chippier type player who is good in ALL THOSE BLEEPING after the whistle scrums.  We need levels of toughness I think 1st responders like Big Mac and Arsenault would be good "in your face types" willing to give up 5 minutes IF teams felt so inclined. 

Arsenault or Big Mac giving face washes would be good in a chippy game,

Until they eliminate all the "accidental on purpose goalie hits".

Roussel does that but we should add one more til he gets back.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

i really think ferland will do his job and benn will but hey i still think they will get pushed around a bit..we will see what other teams try against the canucks this season..going to have to play discipline tough hockey and take one for the team...if it means sacrificing your body for few penalties ...

EESaT-aXUAQOHAq.jpg952f52feb5e1ea3b2e6869cd6d6c317caf93cf0c.jpg

That's a brick sh!thouse right there! :frantic:

Even the dog is happy. Wants guns like dat! Knows no one can mess with us...

9 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Anyone else see Myers crosscheck a player multiple times after running Demko? 

Yeah, me too.

I did, but that was a small, young Oiler that won't even get a sniff of the NHL.  

Myers won't be doing that with the NHL tough guys.  

I think that this off-season was good in terms of getting tougher although we're still missing that one nuclear deterrent.  For everyone naming Virtanen, Myers and Benn as tough guys, please stop.  They can throw big hits, which is great, but they won't be intimidating anyone with their fighting and Myers/Virtanen will look for ways out of fights. 

The reality is that our Canucks are so deep that we don't have room for any tough guys.  I'm happy with where we sit. 

WTF did I just read?  We need more toughness?  What are you looking for on the ice?  Should we trade for Lucic?  I heard a rumour that Kimbo Slice is looking for a job maybe we can stick him on a line with Petey. If the additions of Ferland, Miller, Benn and Myers weren’t enough of an improvement you are either straight up trolling or just fell out of a time machine from the 80’s. I love a good fight too, but times are changing. Big hits, the occasional “accidental” cross check and the ability to move people from the front of the crease are what is considered pushback now. Think what Quinn and Petey will do against AHL plugs on a fourth line to fight. They will skate around them and score. Other teams will do the same. The enforcer roll is dead unless you find one that can skate on a top line.  Retribution after the fact will result in Canucks being suspended until the end of time. Let this much bigger team go show what they have before calling them out for a lack of truculence. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

In other news Canucks are wondering who will take over offensive roles for their team now that the sedins have retired, will Bo take the next step and can Pettersson come in and help immediately? Soon to be seen. 

This is is Marklar reporting from (marklar) underneath some(marklar)  rock in the ground(marklar), inside a (marklar) cave in the(marklar) Marianas trench. 

Marklar. 

Glad hockey is back some of these summer posts got to my think box.. 

45 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

WTF did I just read?  We need more toughness?  What are you looking for on the ice?  Should we trade for Lucic?  I heard a rumour that Kimbo Slice is looking for a job maybe we can stick him on a line with Petey. If the additions of Ferland, Miller, Benn and Myers weren’t enough of an improvement you are either straight up trolling or just fell out of a time machine from the 80’s. I love a good fight too, but times are changing. Big hits, the occasional “accidental” cross check and the ability to move people from the front of the crease are what is considered pushback now. Think what Quinn and Petey will do against AHL plugs on a fourth line to fight. They will skate around them and score. Other teams will do the same. The enforcer roll is dead unless you find one that can skate on a top line.  Retribution after the fact will result in Canucks being suspended until the end of time. Let this much bigger team go show what they have before calling them out for a lack of truculence. 

Kimbo!!! I vote yes lmoa

• Cheers 1