The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need more toughness

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

no one is expecting him to be a #1. He will be part of a group of #4's. With what was available would you rather have had Hutton and Stecher behind Tanev and Edler??

Just having two more realistic NHL D men to trot out when Edler or Tanev get hurt should improve our team. Myers will help, Benn will help. Hughes is the one i am most worried about. He did not look good in pre-season. He looked much better last season in the last 4 games.

It's not an ideal situation, but certainly the D is a few steps up over last years showing.   Canucks have been minus a #1 dman for so many years, it's pointless to try to recall if they ever have had one.

I'm not a big fan of Meyers, in fact I was hoping they would hold off signing a big UFA contract until next years group (which seems to have a better selection of skilled dmen).  Anyways, this is  the group we have for this season and I plan on cheering for them all.  It's what it is.

Really like the addition of Benn. He will be great for supporting any younger d's that make the team during the season.

I'm not that worried about Quinn just yet.  Remember, we saw him when he was in top form at the end of the hockey season.  I think he needs a few (meaningful) games under his belt to adjust to the NHL game.  He seems to have confidence in Tanev, who can shelter him, but he may not be ready to play second pairing minutes for the time being.  It will be very important who they choose as the #7 dman. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/18/2019 at 1:45 AM, hockeygod77 said:

well things will get nasty around the net this year and up front teams will be targeting the skilled guys...so send a message early canucks to other teams that it aint going be that way anymore..first 20 games so important..this is hockey not ringette...money side of things are done..now lets  see what we got....

Canucks need a 4th line heavyweight that can come in for certain games that are expected to be nasty. Not every game, bit we need a heavy to draw in when needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sweathog said:

Canucks need a 4th line heavyweight that can come in for certain games that are expected to be nasty. Not every game, bit we need a heavy to draw in when needed.

Peluso was looking like a champ and of course Reeves would have been the best thing possible, but that’s not the Canucks way. We’d rather Cowan, Hordi, Ryp, Prust, etc, certainly no legit enforcers. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

its about getting tougher mentally i have said..the fists the intimidation the in you face hockey comes at certain points of the game...lets just freee wheel and play structural NHL hockey until someone takes a cheap shot at one of the players star or not any player ..then you relate and lose the game....you need to be the team that dictates the play....i willl let you know if the canucks this year has picked a good group of players...i like gaudette he will get tougher as he gets older..

• Wat 1

On 9/29/2019 at 6:45 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Peluso was looking like a champ and of course Reeves would have been the best thing possible, but that’s not the Canucks way. We’d rather Cowan, Hordi, Ryp, Prust, etc, certainly no legit enforcers. 

Hordichuk was a legit enforcer, go look at who he fought and won against as canuck, plus he smiled while fighting which is seriously creepy.

Rypien wasnt just an enforcer as he could skate pretty well, also had decent hands for scoring. Who did Rypien ever back down from? look at his few (arguable) losses and who they were against.

I won't say his name but a former oiler /canuck was one of the toughest and dirtiest players when the team needed it, long gone are the days of goonery winning cups.

Toughness is required to win, but it can also be a downfall.

I recall St.Louis for many years was a playoff contender but lacked the high end skilled forwards. 

Jamal Mayers, Barret Jackman, Eric Brewer,

Keith Tkachuk, David Backes, Erik Johnson, Jay Mckee, Dan Hinote, D.J. King, Matt Walker, Bryce Salvador, Cam Janssen, Roman Polak, Jeff Woywitka, Brad Winchester, B.J. Crombeen, David Koci, Chris Pronger, Scott Mellanby, Murray Baron, Reed Lowe, Steve Mclaren, Mike Danton.

That's just a quick summary of toughness the blues had over 6 years, how many playoff series did they win?

Zero, the answer is zero playoff series wins from 2003/04 - 20009/10. 

Screenshot_20191001-004832_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2019 at 11:26 AM, higgyfan said:

It's not an ideal situation, but certainly the D is a few steps up over last years showing.   Canucks have been minus a #1 dman for so many years, it's pointless to try to recall if they ever have had one.

I'm not a big fan of Meyers, in fact I was hoping they would hold off signing a big UFA contract until next years group (which seems to have a better selection of skilled dmen).  Anyways, this is  the group we have for this season and I plan on cheering for them all.  It's what it is.

Really like the addition of Benn. He will be great for supporting any younger d's that make the team during the season.

I'm not that worried about Quinn just yet.  Remember, we saw him when he was in top form at the end of the hockey season.  I think he needs a few (meaningful) games under his belt to adjust to the NHL game.  He seems to have confidence in Tanev, who can shelter him, but he may not be ready to play second pairing minutes for the time being.  It will be very important who they choose as the #7 dman. 

I am a big fan of anyone that makes this team better. Myers while no one expects him to be in the Norris trophy conversation in June is a step up from Hutton and Stecher

I like the Benn pick up more but again not expecting a miracle from either just a solid NHL season.

Im not overly worried about a big UFA contract next FA class.We have some good D men coming. If there is a chance to sign another D man JB will make it happen and worry about the chips afterwards.

As for Quinn  , I am very worried. As an undersized D man in the NHL not just height he will have to survive the 82 game schedule and have something left afterwards for playoffs. I didnt like what he showed in pre season. On my team he wouldnt have made the roster based on that. he skates well. We accept that. but he jumped into plays at bad times. Gave up the puck a bit more than I would like and had a hard time defending against some big men.  Some here have him in the Calder race. I am not expecting that. I think thats between his brother and Kakko. I hope i am wrong , i just want to see the player at the end of last season more than what we saw in the pre season. He is young and has a lot of time to mature. I just hope we are not rushing him.

I like a tough team and seeing Ferland as the only real guy that fights on the team is concerning especially since coming back from a concussion last December.  Much like Roussel came off a concussion last summer and really didn't fight much which I don't blame him for doing.  

No other player on the Canuck averaged more than 1 fight per season.  All the talk about a great skilled young core on the Canucks yet no plans to make sure they don't get pushed around on game day other than Ferland.  I like seeing skilled players protected, asset protection.  

Some knowledgeable fight fans on this site, love seeing Peluso's name, wanted him on the Nucks for a few seasons now but no dice.  Right away he would be top three in the league with Lucic and Reaves.  That Johnston kid on the Islanders is a contender but not sure if he made the big squad.

As much as I like seeing the Comets pick up Arseneau, he hasn't developed into a feared fighter just based on the fights i have seen on YT.  Really there is nothing else other than Gadjovich and MacEwen.  MacEwen wasn't signed for his fighting abilities, looks like he's trying to adopt the role being a big framed kid.  Gadjovich never developed that part of the game as the OHL has muted fighting.   Is there anyone else?  Didn't really read up on the prospects drafted this year.

Bennings final cut this year was 2 smaller, less physical players.  This goes along with additions he made this past off season when he added 4 bigger, more physical players.  They aren't necessarily fighters but that is a thing that is a small consideration in team building these days.  However, the Canucks are getting harder to play against.

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2019 at 9:50 AM, hockeygod77 said:

ok like i said i know you need skill toughness...players just need to play smart er hockey and watch for these slashes high sticks and hit from behind..once again i see a few holes in this area..we will see in a few weeks... tough also does not mean in my books that he  is big...tough needs to be with every player..play with a bit of an edge....stay focused dont let your teammates get bullyed and make sure that your own hits are clean and hard...no retaliating is tough hockey..payback when the time is correct...punish teams by scoring on the power play..you get it that kind of tough hockey.

Yeah and how did that work out for the Sedin's exactly...  Not very well as I remember

• Upvote 1

At least in the NHL games i’ve watched, the players are talking, mingling, smiling with their opponents. Their all buds it seems. They’re just at work, not in a war.

I think this is what’s changed the most about the game and even the Canucks. 

I still think the team needs a Reeves more than a rat terrier, in Rousell, etc though. 

I miss the Cold War of hate and rivalry as much as I do the Enforcer role. Even the role of hitting, those legendary hitters, has been almost divorced from the game. 

Toughness is going extinct.   

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

At least in the NHL games i’ve watched, the players are talking, mingling, smiling with their opponents. Their all buds it seems. They’re just at work, not in a war.

I think this is what’s changed the most about the game and even the Canucks. 

I still think the team needs a Reeves more than a rat terrier, in Rousell, etc though. 

I miss the Cold War of hate and rivalry as much as I do the Enforcer role. Even the role of hitting, those legendary hitters, has been almost divorced from the game. 

Toughness is going extinct.   

Even when you look at the draft....

before guys like Lucic would go in the second round , now he would be a first round pick....like max Jones....

before skill would go higher , not anymore. 

Even if you look at Jake , everyone says he went to high but he had the promise to be a pwf....same goes with Richie...

nylander and ehlers fell, two high end skill guys....

also i forget which poster said this....tchuck has no comparable now but go back a few years....there would be a few....burrows comes to mind...

now bangers are the rare gems....

you need two bangers that can play in your top six, if you want to win the playoffs...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Even when you look at the draft....

before guys like Lucic would go in the second round , now he would be a first round pick....like max Jones....

before skill would go higher , not anymore. 

Even if you look at Jake , everyone says he went to high but he had the promise to be a pwf....same goes with Richie...

nylander and ehlers fell, two high end skill guys....

also i forget which poster said this....tchuck has no comparable now but go back a few years....there would be a few....burrows comes to mind...

now bangers are the rare gems....

you need two bangers that can play in your top six, if you want to win the playoffs...

I proposed a playful trade suggestion last winter, knowing full-well that I was in a homer forum, of Horvat for Brady Tkachuk. 

Of course I was absolutely hammered for it. 

If there ever was a playoff warrior hero type, it’s a Tkachuk kid, no doubt about it, especially Brady. 

That trade was laughed out of the forums, but it’s going to be quite evident why I made it very soon, which is nothing against Horvat either, just my projections for this kid and how I’m fairly certain that Horvat plus a few things wouldn’t get him today and that’s not going to change. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I proposed a playful trade suggestion last winter, knowing full-well that I was in a homer forum, of Horvat for Brady Tkachuk. 

Of course I was absolutely hammered for it. 

If there ever was a playoff warrior hero type, it’s a Tkachuk kid, no doubt about it, especially Brady. 

That trade was laughed out of the forums, but it’s going to be quite evident why I made it very soon, which is nothing against Horvat either, just my projections for this kid and how I’m fairly certain that Horvat plus a few things wouldn’t get him today and that’s not going to change. 

I can see why, Brady  tkachuk would perfect player for us and I could see Brady change the culture in Van and he would look great with Petey and Brock. 

Don't get me wrong I love Bo but Brady is way harder to replace in today's game, 

Van needs toughness but there's no way sens trade Brady....

from what I've seen of the up coming draft , it doesn't look to be any players like that in the first round Dylan holloway plays a good two way game but didn't see anything that comes near Brady....

hope podz can turn into one...

p.s I would trade Brock any day for Brady and I would throw in Guad.....

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2019 at 9:45 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Ever since Brashear left the team has lacked a true heavyweight....that’s a long time ago now.   Kind of embarrassing for a while...Sestito was a heavyweight but not very good at much of anything.   Sad considering for a couple decades, pretty much since Williams and Fraser patrolled the ice, we had some tough SOBs on every team.   Even before.   Not much of anything since the WCE days and even then things were sliding. 

Yes it’s a different league for better or worse ... one of the things I hated the most about this rebuild is there was no reason not to get some tough players to play on the fourth line.   Kudos for picking up Benn, Ferland and Miller - and at least Myers is imposing too.  Better late then never - but I’d still welcome Peluso or Reeves with open arms. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Ever since Brashear left the team has lacked a true heavyweight....that’s a long time ago now.   Kind of embarrassing for a while...Sestito was a heavyweight but not very good at much of anything.   Sad considering for a couple decades, pretty much since Williams and Fraser patrolled the ice, we had some tough SOBs on every team.   Even before.   Not much of anything since the WCE days and even then things were sliding. 

Yes it’s a different league for better or worse ... one of the things I hated the most about this rebuild is there was no reason not to get some tough players to play on the fourth line.   Kudos for picking up Benn, Ferland and Miller - and at least Myers is imposing too.  Better late then never - but I’d still welcome Peluso or Reeves with open arms. 

Hopefully we are at the end of the "gentlemanly" era and we get players who can actually "punish" the opposition.