The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speculation - Byfuglien contemplating retirement

Rate this topic

skategal

• 2 weeks later...

There has to be something more to all of this going on because this guy is really screwing the Jets if you look at their D situation.

This would be the moment to unload a player like Tanev to a team desperate for his skill set.

Edited by Industrious1

9 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

There has to be something more to all of this going on because this guy is really screwing the Jets if you look at their D situation.

This would be the moment to unload a player like Tanev to a team desperate for his skill set.

Josh Morrissey is injured and Kulikov was just granted a personal leave. The Jets have 0 defence right now

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

8 mill this season 6 mill next season.

He's leaving a lot of money on the table if he retires. 

How much has Big Buff made over his career though?  Yes, 14 million is a lot of cash, but (maybe?) Buff doesn't need the money, and would rather just be at home with family?

I really like him as a player.  He's one of my favorites to watch.  

10 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

We kind of need Tanev too though.  I'm surprised the Jets didn't go after Biega.  I wonder how Hellibuck's numbers will do now with no really good D?

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

We kind of need Tanev too though.  I'm surprised the Jets didn't go after Biega.  I wonder how Hellibuck's numbers will do now with no really good D?

Maurice seems to have gone with Brossoit. But at this point he’s probably gonna swap back and forth until a goalie grabs that spot. Both are playing bad behind a bad D group. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Maurice seems to have gone with Brossoit. But at this point he’s probably gonna swap back and forth until a goalie grabs that spot. Both are playing bad behind a bad D group. 

The Jets score lots of goals.  They might be okay, because of their forwards.  

• 3 weeks later...

Byfuglien and the Jets could be heading to arbitration according to Friedman.  There is a dispute over the timing of his ankle injury.  

Clip here with transcript below from Sportsnet:

“It’s emotional, it’s heated, and it’s likely going to arbitration,” Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said Saturday during the ‘Headlines’ segment of Hockey Night in Canada.

“Here’s what I believe the NHL/Jets side is in all of this — first of all, the Jets have been told they can’t say anything, which is why Kevin Cheveldayoff has been so guarded in his comments. But, from what I understand, they feel in the exit physical at the end of last year, Dustin Byfuglien was deemed fit to play. He didn’t let anyone know that he had injuries with his ankle all summer, and made it clear at the beginning of the year he was ready to retire. 

“However, Byfuglien — his representatives at Octagon and I assume the Players’ Association too — their position is Byfuglien was hurt going into the playoffs, everybody knew that, he was playing injured, he took all summer off to heal, he went to Winnipeg because he planned to play, his ankle acted up again when he started skating, and they feel it’s a legitimate hockey injury.”

The situation was further complicated by Byfuglien’s recent surgery, according to Friedman.

“As part of the surgery, [they] discovered a broken bone in his foot, but there’s also dispute over when that injury occurred and when everybody knew this. So, laying it out that way right now, I think now everybody has a better understanding of why an arbitrator, as we sit here tonight, is probably going to have to decide this.”

“The other important part of the arbitrator is that there’s money involved, and those bad feelings,” added Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston during the ‘Headlines’ segment. “What’s important to understand here is that Dustin Byfuglien was uncertain about the future of his career, but he’s since indicated a willingness to return and play. And he has a contract, of course, for this year and next. He’s missed out on roughly $1.4 million of his salary to this point this season, he would be due more than $6 million for the next. 

“So, if they get into an arbitration-type situation, a lot of what will be discussed is, ‘When does he start getting paid? Does the timer start now, was it back at the start of the season? Is it when he’s healthy?’ And the money, of course, is where a lot of the dispute comes in.”

Friedman added that it remains to be seen, if Byfuglien does return, whether Winnipeg still wants him, and whether the veteran still wants to play for the Jets after all is said and done.

I believe Buff in this situation. Teams around the league will do whatever it takes to cover their tracks when it comes to spending any money they don’t need to. 

Sounds like Winnipeg is trying to use that exit physical against him as a legality when everyone knew he was playing injured in the playoffs last year. 

Great way to make a locker room cancer Jets! Beg your star to take a leave instead of retire then do this to him when he gets surgery?