The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

13 minutes ago, inane said:

i guess you say 'cleaner and safer' i say that's part and parcel with expanded. they aren't going to build a new pipeline for the same amount as they are pumping today.

Again, going to move regardless... may as well make it work at least some what for us financially/green infrastructure and make it cleaner and safer than sending the oil that won't fit in the existing pipeline, via rail and truck. 

And don't mistake this for thinking that I don't think BC and any indigenous bands whose land we hope to use shouldn't be getting a larger slice of that pie (plus federally enforced funding insurance for any environmental issues should they arise). A good deal of that green tech funding should be earmarked to benefit both IMO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

shouldn't that be "Trump face"? 

I know it was a dumb thing for JT to do, but he's getting ripped for this far more than someone actually working to hurt people like Trump does, its a little pathetic. 

How about the fact that Trudeau lied in his apology?

"

It took an American magazine — TIME — to blow the lid on Justin Trudeau’s 18-year-old blackface secret, and now we learn from a British newspaper, The Telegraph, that our prime minister was lying to us even as he staged well-acted apologies.

During his first apology to reporters on his aircraft, Trudeau gave the impression that he dressed up in Aladdin at an Arabian Nights theme party at the school where he was a teacher.

However, The Telegraph reports that far from being a costume party gala, the event was a “black tie” dinner.

“The invitations had said it was “black tie”, with an “Arabian Nights” theme in the form of belly dancers and Middle Eastern music. More than 500 guests showed up. All the men wore tuxedos. Except Mr. Trudeau,” the Telegraph report said.

One guest told the British newspaper, “We were taken aback when he walked in, but it just didn’t seem to register with Justin. … It was not OK.”

So far Justin Trudeau has maintained his blackface performance was a result of his not knowing in 2001 that such behaviour was wrong. He also blames his racist behaviour on society for making him privileged. “ should have understood that then and I never should have done it. I didn’t see that from the layers of privilege that I have and for that I am deeply sorry, and I apologize.” Earlier he said, “I should’ve known better. But I didn’t.”

No, Mr. Trudeau you did know, and you’ve admitted it elsewhere.

As early as 1997, while studying for his B.Ed. degree, Trudeau had to go through class exercises in racism and privilege as part of his “Sociology of Education” course.

He revealed this in December 2016 while answering a question about racism and white privilege at a boisterous gathering of Elementary Teachers of Toronto. Trudeau boasted he was fully aware of the nuances of privilege and racism way back in 1997 or even earlier. He said: “When I was doing my B.Ed. we had a class called Sociology of Education and it was exactly around all that [white privilege] and I remember this exercise where as a class we generated a list, a binary list in terms of pairs in terms or power dynamics; white vs non-white, male vs female, straight vs LGBTQ, all the way down the list … I realized that of the 20 pairs on the list, I was on the power side on 19 of the 20. … So, it was an extraordinarily powerful wake up call for me. Like it or not, whether we like it or not, I was given a power and a voice that I did nothing to earn, that I did nothing to deserve.”

Trudeau told the teachers, “I ended up writing a reflection, a free-verse style reflection of being a straight white male. The essence of it was that if I am lucky, and I am lucky, then I have a responsibility.”

Apparently, between 1998 and 2001, Trudeau forgot his free-verse, and ended up putting on blackface at a black-tie event.

I also wonder where Trudeau was when on May 4, 1992, a demonstration in Toronto, protesting the dismissal of charges against Los Angeles police officers who were filmed beating Black motorist, Rodney King, erupted into violence and vandalism.

My daughter is younger than Justin Trudeau, but she was aware of racism at the time. As president of her school union she rallied the predominantly white students to stand up against anti-black racism. Where were you at the time Justin?

You lied to us multiple times. You may or may not be a racist, but you most definitely are a fake and egocentric man."

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/fatah-trudeau-fake-and-egocentric

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Even the Green party is lying - I mean wth were they thinking?

TORONTO -- In politics, photographs hold power. But what happens when political parties begin manipulating photographs?

That’s the predicament Green Party Leader Elizabeth May finds herself in after Postmedia reported that a photo of her holding a cup, which was published on her party’s website, was edited to add an environmentally-friendly metal straw and the Green Party’s logo.

May said she was “completely shocked” to learn that one of her staff – who she described as “well-meaning” -- edited the image without her knowledge.

“And I'm sorry for the staff person that did it. I don't want to call them stupid on television, but there was nothing there to hide. So why Photoshop it? I have no idea. If they're going to Photoshop, couldn't they do something with my face and make it look a little younger?" she told CTV News Atlantic Tuesday during a trip to the Maritimes.

Asked whether she would apologize for the photo that some may see as political hypocrisy, May said the incident was not hypocritical because, in the original image, she is holding a compostable cup with no straw.

“I'm very conscientious about this. It won't surprise you to know I never take a plastic drinking water bottle, I carry my own mug, I carry my own utensils on airplanes so I never take a single-use plastic item. So it's bizarre that the notion of fakery should stretch to someone who doesn't fake anything."

The decision to add a metal straw to an already compostable cup, May said, was someone “just being really stupid, but it wasn’t fakery.”

The edited image was condemned by NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh, who called the incident “troubling.”

“People need to know that they can rely on the information that’s being spread so they can make an informed decision,” Singh said Tuesday when asked about the incident during a campaign stop in Metro Vancouver.

Experts say the photograph is clearly misleading and falls short of the standard of truth. Gordon Pennycook, an assistant professor at the University of Regina who studies fake news, said there is no excuse for a political party to doctor photos.

“It’s a bit tone-deaf considering the problems with misinformation that we’re having,” Pennycook told CTVNews.ca.

A metal straw might not seem like a big deal. But the problem has everything to do with viewers’ expectations, Pennycook said. When most people see an advertisement, they assume that there’s some level of editing involved.

But viewers don’t expect the same from politicians.

“Editing a photo that people ostensibly don’t think would be edited is misleading,” he said.

Even so, Pennycook called the straw photo “a very modest form of deception” and said he doesn’t think voters will care.

“It’s an interesting case study in a news story. But I would be surprised if it changes a single person’s vote come election time,” he said. “That’s a pretty silly thing to base your vote on.”

It’s rare for a political party to be caught doctoring a photo. But out-of-context photos shared by people with strong political motivations is common, according to Matthew Johnson, director of education for MediaSmarts, a Canadian not-for-profit that provides resources on digital and media literacy.

“We haven’t seen too many examples of doctored photos in this election, but certainly photos are an issue in almost every election. And we know as well that photos are a major form on online misinformation,” Johnson said.

One recent example was a photo of trash on the ground that suggested climate strikers left the rubbish following a protest. In fact, the photo was the aftermath of a rock concert.

Another recent example was a photo of Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau wearing a white headdress that included a fake quote suggesting that he was converting to Islam. He isn’t. The photo actually showed Trudeau dressed as the pilot from Le Petit Prince, a French children’s book, while trick-or-treating with his son, Hadrien, in 2016.

When political disinformation emerges, it has a “corrosive” effect on voters, Johnson said.

“Any time we do have misinformation spreading as truth, even if it is innocent misinformation, then it makes it harder for us to know what is true and it leads to an electorate that is cynical instead of healthily skeptical,” he said.

Voters who share political news online should not assume that, just because something comes from a political party, that it meets the threshold of truth, Johnson said.

“Voters need to be cautious of information from all sources,” he said.

MediaSmarts offers online tools to help social media users spot photos that are doctored or taken out of context. Johnson said that anyone sharing stories online should take it upon themselves to conduct a quick fact check or reverse image search before hitting “share.”

“Most of the time, checking will not take 30 seconds. Less than a minute at the most,” he said.

“But it is essential that before we share anything we confirm that it’s true, because in our networked media environment, we’re not just consumers of news anymore -- we’re broadcasters too.”

Contact us

See a story or post circulating on social media that you think may be disinformation or in need of fact-checking?

Let us know by sharing with us the link to the post or the source of the information.

Email us by clicking here or visit our Newsbreaker page.

Please include your full name, city and province.

RELATED IMAGES

• May

A photo of Green Party Elizabeth May holding a compostable cup (left) was edited by a Green Party staff member to add a metal, re-usable straw and the party's logo (right). May has called the incident 'stupid.'

https://election.ctvnews.ca/truth-tracker-reusable-straw-edited-into-elizabeth-may-photo-1.4608837

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Even the Green party is lying - I mean wth were they thinking?

TORONTO -- In politics, photographs hold power. But what happens when political parties begin manipulating photographs?

That’s the predicament Green Party Leader Elizabeth May finds herself in after Postmedia reported that a photo of her holding a cup, which was published on her party’s website, was edited to add an environmentally-friendly metal straw and the Green Party’s logo.

May said she was “completely shocked” to learn that one of her staff – who she described as “well-meaning” -- edited the image without her knowledge.

“And I'm sorry for the staff person that did it. I don't want to call them stupid on television, but there was nothing there to hide. So why Photoshop it? I have no idea. If they're going to Photoshop, couldn't they do something with my face and make it look a little younger?" she told CTV News Atlantic Tuesday during a trip to the Maritimes.

Asked whether she would apologize for the photo that some may see as political hypocrisy, May said the incident was not hypocritical because, in the original image, she is holding a compostable cup with no straw.

“I'm very conscientious about this. It won't surprise you to know I never take a plastic drinking water bottle, I carry my own mug, I carry my own utensils on airplanes so I never take a single-use plastic item. So it's bizarre that the notion of fakery should stretch to someone who doesn't fake anything."

The decision to add a metal straw to an already compostable cup, May said, was someone “just being really stupid, but it wasn’t fakery.”

The edited image was condemned by NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh, who called the incident “troubling.”

“People need to know that they can rely on the information that’s being spread so they can make an informed decision,” Singh said Tuesday when asked about the incident during a campaign stop in Metro Vancouver.

Experts say the photograph is clearly misleading and falls short of the standard of truth. Gordon Pennycook, an assistant professor at the University of Regina who studies fake news, said there is no excuse for a political party to doctor photos.

“It’s a bit tone-deaf considering the problems with misinformation that we’re having,” Pennycook told CTVNews.ca.

A metal straw might not seem like a big deal. But the problem has everything to do with viewers’ expectations, Pennycook said. When most people see an advertisement, they assume that there’s some level of editing involved.

But viewers don’t expect the same from politicians.

“Editing a photo that people ostensibly don’t think would be edited is misleading,” he said.

Even so, Pennycook called the straw photo “a very modest form of deception” and said he doesn’t think voters will care.

“It’s an interesting case study in a news story. But I would be surprised if it changes a single person’s vote come election time,” he said. “That’s a pretty silly thing to base your vote on.”

It’s rare for a political party to be caught doctoring a photo. But out-of-context photos shared by people with strong political motivations is common, according to Matthew Johnson, director of education for MediaSmarts, a Canadian not-for-profit that provides resources on digital and media literacy.

“We haven’t seen too many examples of doctored photos in this election, but certainly photos are an issue in almost every election. And we know as well that photos are a major form on online misinformation,” Johnson said.

One recent example was a photo of trash on the ground that suggested climate strikers left the rubbish following a protest. In fact, the photo was the aftermath of a rock concert.

Another recent example was a photo of Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau wearing a white headdress that included a fake quote suggesting that he was converting to Islam. He isn’t. The photo actually showed Trudeau dressed as the pilot from Le Petit Prince, a French children’s book, while trick-or-treating with his son, Hadrien, in 2016.

When political disinformation emerges, it has a “corrosive” effect on voters, Johnson said.

“Any time we do have misinformation spreading as truth, even if it is innocent misinformation, then it makes it harder for us to know what is true and it leads to an electorate that is cynical instead of healthily skeptical,” he said.

Voters who share political news online should not assume that, just because something comes from a political party, that it meets the threshold of truth, Johnson said.

“Voters need to be cautious of information from all sources,” he said.

MediaSmarts offers online tools to help social media users spot photos that are doctored or taken out of context. Johnson said that anyone sharing stories online should take it upon themselves to conduct a quick fact check or reverse image search before hitting “share.”

“Most of the time, checking will not take 30 seconds. Less than a minute at the most,” he said.

“But it is essential that before we share anything we confirm that it’s true, because in our networked media environment, we’re not just consumers of news anymore -- we’re broadcasters too.”

Contact us

See a story or post circulating on social media that you think may be disinformation or in need of fact-checking?

Let us know by sharing with us the link to the post or the source of the information.

Email us by clicking here or visit our Newsbreaker page.

Please include your full name, city and province.

RELATED IMAGES

• May

A photo of Green Party Elizabeth May holding a compostable cup (left) was edited by a Green Party staff member to add a metal, re-usable straw and the party's logo (right). May has called the incident 'stupid.'

https://election.ctvnews.ca/truth-tracker-reusable-straw-edited-into-elizabeth-may-photo-1.4608837

May brings her own cutlery onto planes!  What the hell!  She brings knives onto planes?  Ya, that makes sense.  These political leaders are ALL TO DAMNED PRIVILEGED, and have no idea what’s its like to be one of us.  How about one of us try to bring our own knives onto planes?  “I’m only needing this to cut the steak I’ll be served”.  My God.  They’re all the same.  

• Upvote 1

This straw stuff has to be the stupidest $&!# I have ever come across. I wouldn't have even known it was a reusable metal straw until it was pointed out. I would have thought that was a grey straw. I am sure those hippies have already put forth some radical ideas which cost a lot of money so we can start there instead of this straw BS.

Edited by Toews
  • Like 1

We are witnessing an election of how much b.s. will the voting public accept.  Trudeau blackface/brownface, whatever.  Yeah it was a different time, but even back then it was frowned upon.  For someone apparently so progressive, he should have known better.  Problem is, Trudeau is a trust fund rich kid, real life never really applied to him as his $ allowed him to do what he wanted.

Frankly the Elizabeth May photo shop was surprising.  Did they really think no one would notice?  Or are they just going with the no one will really care if the public catches it story?

Then he Conservatives went with Scheer, really?!? 

Honestly, Jack Layton was the last politician that struck me as someone the people could relate to.  RIP.

It is a shame that Singh and the NDP are so lost as a party.  If they could get it together, who knows.  I actually like some of his platform.  Though I like some ideas of all the 3 big players. 

I really need to go back to not caring who the PM of Canada was/is.  Much harder in 2019 now that politics is shoved down our throat 24/7 by the media. 

Anyways, that is my rant.  I need a drink, or 2...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/21/2019 at 9:19 AM, bishopshodan said:

Lemon's hypocrisy shouldn't represent all the 'left'.

Looks like it won't for much longer.   Apparently the guy suing him for sexual assault after turning down a six figure settlement has come forward with lots of independent witnesses.   Lemon will be one less hypocrite to have to watch for those who can stomach CNN.   Would be nice if a few Faux types would join Lemon and others....guess Matt Lauer will have lots of company!

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Looks like it won't for much longer.   Apparently the guy suing him for sexual assault after turning down a six figure settlement has come forward with lots of independent witnesses.   Lemon will be one less hypocrite to have to watch for those who can stomach CNN.   Would be nice if a few Faux types would join Lemon and others....guess Matt Lauer will have lots of company!

I'm surprised you watch CNN. 

Whatever else you think of Trudeau, its interesting that he is one of the few people that hasn't been "cancelled" by the cancel culture on the far left. Why do you think that is? 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm surprised you watch CNN. 

Whatever else you think of Trudeau, its interesting that he is one of the few people that hasn't been "cancelled" by the cancel culture on the far left. Why do you think that is? 

It won't be long now that the witnesses are coming forward and the settlement money Lemon offered was rejected.    Remember, some of cancel culture stuck with talent long past best before dates in the past and errors still being made I guess.   I was equally surprised that Cuomo and his "tough guy" act didn't get him dismissed too but there is a difference I guess from a macho act and one where is a homophobic assault where he was dumb enough to do it in front of witnesses with no ties to the accuser.

I watch a bit of everything.   Try and see what the extreme viewpoints are from both sides of spectrum.

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It won't be long now that the witnesses are coming forward and the settlement money Lemon offered was rejected.    Remember, some of cancel culture stuck with talent long past best before dates in the past and errors still being made I guess.   I was equally surprised that Cuomo and his "tough guy" act didn't get him dismissed too but there is a difference I guess from a macho act and one where is a homophobic assault where he was dumb enough to do it in front of witnesses with no ties to the accuser.

I watch a bit of everything.   Try and see what the extreme viewpoints are from both sides of spectrum.

I haven't watched cable for years. Sometimes i check CNN online for breaking news but thats about it.

But I wanted your thoughts on Trudeau - he's the only politician to survive a blackface scandal. I find that fascinating. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I haven't watched cable for years. Sometimes i check CNN online for breaking news but thats about it.

But I wanted your thoughts on Trudeau - he's the only politician to survive a blackface scandal. I find that fascinating. 

Oh, misunderstood you.   I think he is a farce and causing real harm to the country I was born into.   I think his lasting legacy on Canada will be looked back upon in a few generations as a lowest point in identity and false narrative politics right from his "Peoplekind" to his incredibly naive foreign policy.   However, control the Ontario/Quebec vote in Canada and that is all you need and he did that so hat's off to him and his team.   I think this second term for him will be a greater mess with tests coming up on things like pipelines, projects (Oil Sands) and taxation (e.g. capital gains) that will firmly plant his hypocritical and misguided stamp on the country for some poor soul/team to try and fix.   Like in the US with the Democrats though, if the Conservatives can only come up with an equivalence of Biden (Scheer), then they deserve to lose and put up with dozens and dozens of $50 boxes of doughnuts!

Cheers

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh, misunderstood you.   I think he is a farce and causing real harm to the country I was born into.   I think his lasting legacy on Canada will be looked back upon in a few generations as a lowest point in identity and false narrative politics right from his "Peoplekind" to his incredibly naive foreign policy.   However, control the Ontario/Quebec vote in Canada and that is all you need and he did that so hat's off to him and his team.   I think this second term for him will be a greater mess with tests coming up on things like pipelines, projects (Oil Sands) and taxation (e.g. capital gains) that will firmly plant his hypocritical and misguided stamp on the country for some poor soul/team to try and fix.   Like in the US with the Democrats though, if the Conservatives can only come up with an equivalence of Biden (Scheer), then they deserve to lose and put up with dozens and dozens of $50 boxes of doughnuts!

Cheers

interesting, I see him having a chance at actually having a few success stories on those areas: by the next election, TMX will be finished (or nearly finished), the Teck Frontier project will be a go, and there will be even more "middle class tax breaks". Add to that a ratified new nafta and some red meat - or well I guess miso tofu - to the left base on guns and pharmacare and I think it will be a very tight election race next time.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Well, there was Govenor Ralph Northam of Virginia. 

CNN article link

Virginia governor apologizes for 'racist and offensive' costume in photo showing people in blackface and KKK garb

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting, I see him having a chance at actually having a few success stories on those areas: by the next election, TMX will be finished (or nearly finished), the Teck Frontier project will be a go, and there will be even more "middle class tax breaks". Add to that a ratified new nafta and some red meat - or well I guess miso tofu - to the left base on guns and pharmacare and I think it will be a very tight election race next time.

If in four years TMX has flow in it, Frontier is approved with realistic conditions so it can be constructed, tax is progressive and not regressive (e.g. don't remove capital gains exemptions so businesses can actually make a go of it and bring back income splitting for same small businesses and farmers) and this ridiculous fixation with trying to be the global righter of perceived wrongs in places like China/India/US with a punitive tax on Canadians (carbon), then the man will change my mind.   That and stop the charade about being a feminist.

• Like 2