The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

Fuggin cancel culture.... why does everyone pretend to be offended by these things? I think JT is a tool, but he is so clearly not racist lol. Logic and Intent are meaningless now a days. Just click bait and an opportunity for someone to say there are superior. Grow up world, there's bigger fish to fry. 

Edited by RecklessReilly
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Why can't white people wear black or brown face (yes I know, it's racist AF) but you can do a whole movie about black people putting on white face? I'm referring to White Girls of course. It's not that much different to when Chris Rock (I think, too lazy to google) who said he liked his new movie because he got to kill all the white people. IDK I guess I just live in a pretend world where racism is racism no matter.

Historical context...

Blackface was used in racist theatre.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Somehow Scheer thinks he is. Clearly he has a friend down south who sussed this out for him. The timing is all too convenient and the majority of people are being played like the fiddles they are. 

That's my concern that in a tight election, this gets published. Clearly this was a boneheaded move.

Maybe the issue was the theme of the party in general, was that his idea or someone else? 

However I'm pretty sure a lot of US politicians did some questionable things at Frat parties. 

I agree that the timing seems a bit fishy. 

I'm finding news sources that used to be pretty impartial seem to not be lately. 

The sad thing with the Liberals trying to appease everyone, they are alienating everyone. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, samurai said:

Bruce Lee doesn't have yellow skin nor slanted.  Regardless you haven't answered the question.  How is it the two terms you use in the Hendrix case?

I was making a reply but I sense you are not asking me in good faith.  That is, I don't think you care what I have to say, since you've already made up your mind. 

If you are genuinely interested in this subject then a simple google search will pull up tons of legit scholar material.  Maybe even YouTube might give you something, especially regarding yellowface.

8 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Welcome to 2019 

Oh i know.  Liberals pulled up some anti LGBTQ stuff on some Cons while some sitting Liberals were showed voting against LGBTQ stuff in the past.  People change FFS, this crap is petty and stupid.  We all played cowboys and indians as kids, now thats a big no no.  Am I expecting to have someone come at me and say "when you were a kid you were politically incorrect"? Ah piss off, things change, people change, ways change, acceptance changes.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That's Scheer today.

This is Scheer literally 3 days ago defending a very high profile candidate with literal years worth of history making homophobic and racist statements

I love how this aged.  So...Scheer is not willing to accept Trudeau's apology?  or he is willing to accept the apology of a racist bigot but not his opponent?  A large part of why I can't stand him.  A good politician would basically eat the election after this.  Scheer somehow someway still manages to come off as...weak.

Even the short memory voters here in the US who are used to slimy politicians would call out that kind of hypocrisy when it happens only days apart.

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That's Scheer today.

This is Scheer literally 3 days ago defending a very high profile candidate with literal years worth of history making homophobic and racist statements

EEy13onX4AANFgM.jpg:large

I love how this aged.  So...Scheer is not willing to accept Trudeau's apology?  or he is willing to accept the apology of a racist bigot but not his opponent?  A large part of why I can't stand him.  A good politician would basically eat the election after this.  Scheer somehow someway still manages to come off as...weak.

Unfortunately its war between parties now.  Trudeau would do the same thing, couple of his Liberal collegues were videoed in the house opposing LGBTQ bills 15 years ago and he is sweeping that under the rug.  People change, something done 10 years ago isn't a mark on the person today, or atleast shouldn't be in my opinion.  I am sure we have all done dumb things that we look back on and say "well that was stupid now" but at the time it was somewhat acceptable.

21 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

JT is hitting it out of the park, all we need is evidence of him dressed up as a Mexican and we got trifecta.

Exclusive: Video shows Trudeau in blackface in 3rd instance of racist makeup

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/5922861/justin-trudeau-brownface-video/amp/

He should have admitted to that one with the other 2 admissions, unless he wore blackface so often that he can't keep them all straight.  Makes you wonder how many more videos and pictures will come out between now and election day.

I suppose it was a dumb move, but I wonder if anyone can be expected to think, "Hey in 20 years I'll be running for Prime Minister and although this isn't a big deal right now, people will be more "woke" by that time and I'll look like a racist..."

I guess it's a big deal to some, but frankly, I'm struggling to GaF....just like I don't GaF about JT dressing up in Indian garb, or the "Peopletoba" idiocy....

I wasn't a fan of reneging on voter reform, (even though I probably wouldn't have supported it) and I'm definitely not a fan of buying that pipeline, but most of the stuff that people cite for Trudeau being "the worst", I just don't care about. This particular "scandal" probably ranks highest on my "don't care" list.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

JT is hitting it out of the park, all we need is evidence of him dressed up as a Mexican and we got trifecta.

Exclusive: Video shows Trudeau in blackface in 3rd instance of racist makeup

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/5922861/justin-trudeau-brownface-video/amp/

See.  Here's what I want to know.

Why now?

All the hate, heat and flak he's gotten and just out of nowhere this stuff is popping up?

• Thanks 1

Gotta admit I'm having a chuckle that some people that hate JT are finding themselves defending him.

Whole lot of silly.

I'm also laughing today at the idea that I have done something wrong as a white person because I have some old tribal tattoo work.  

"I take responsibility for my decision to do that. I shouldn't have done it. I should have known better......nah, I still love my tattoos!"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Gotta admit I'm having a chuckle that some people that hate JT are finding themselves defending him.

Whole lot of silly.

I'm also laughing today at the idea that I have done something wrong as a white person because I have some old tribal tattoo work.  

"I take responsibility for my decision to do that. I shouldn't have done it. I should have known better......nah, I still love my tattoos!"

Bang on.

As a First Nations member I cannot count how many times I've seen people dressed up as natives absolutely and ridiculouslyy inappropriately 

I asked the following information in the election thread

I want to know how many instances of literally thousands of halloweens that our elected MPs have been through in their lives have resulted in dressing up involving

cultural appropriation

cross dressing or mockery of the lgbtq community

scantily clad costumes resulting in sl*t shaming

Trudeau is a buffoon.  Good on him for flat out apologizing really.  Far better than the "it's the law or it is what it is" excuse we got from the other guy without actually apologizing once for his remarks.

But the amount of cumulative skeletons in the closets of people regarding instances like this must be enormous.  I myself am wildly enjoying the mental hurdles that the left and right are doing to switch proverbial places right now

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. If someone idolizes someone of another race, how is it insulting?

When I was 12, I idolized Jimi Hendrix and wanted to dress up like him for Halloween one year. I got the clothes and guitar down but didn’t quite look right. I wanted to apply some makeup to pull it off, but my mom advised against it. She understood how much I wanted to be Hendrix and said that it wouldn’t go over. 

At no time did I believe what I was doing was racist because to me Jimi was the man. It was a kid wanting to be like his idol. 

First of all that is awesome for a 12 year old.  

Good for your mom for understanding that but not making you feel bad about it.  

Trudeau would have been in his 30s then so not sure what his excuse is.   

It isn't so much about idolizing someone of another race as to the horribly racist underpinnings of blackface and how it was used in the US.

Does bring up some interesting questions of what should or should be considered acceptable.  Black face no, but would it have been acceptable to wear and afro wig to bring the costume together.  Is there really a significant difference to colouring your face or wearing and afro or dreadlock wig as part of a costume meant to honour a person like Jimmy or Bob Marley?

Edited by DrJockitch

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

See.  Here's what I want to know.

Why now?

All the hate, heat and flak he's gotten and just out of nowhere this stuff is popping up?

In the US it's called the "October Surprise".  The opposition leaks damaging news a few weeks in advance of the election in the hopes that the votes their opponent loses won't be recovered in time. 

It looks like both sides in Canada had "September Surprises".

Meh.... this "cultural appropriation" outrage thing has gone way too far.  

I'm no fan of Tru-dope.... but this is stupid, as well as whatever happened with that US politician caught in a similar situation, other celebrities, etc.  

Dressing up as a different nationality/ethnicity isn't offensive... unless the actions done with the outfit is offensive.  

Wearing certain clothing articles, styles, etc.... that's definitely a no-no.... yet eating ethnic food is okay?  

The mental gymnastic done by those crazy cancel trigger culture is.... :picard:

That being said, this technique has been used against politicians on the right often.... thus if that's the new playground politics are played at, it's unfortunately fair that JT or anyone gets lambasted as well.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2