The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If you're not laughing at the irony you should be.

Singh is crying, literally over this telling people to reach out and comfort one another.  Like it was a horrific disaster that killed millions....

Scheer 4 days ago said he'll accept the apology of a candidate that has made almost a decade of racial and homophobic statements.  Because what people say in their youth shouldn't be used against them.  Scheer is now also refusing to accept Trudeau's apology citing "mistakes and racism are never mistakes" while trying to assuage the angst of the into Canadian and muslim community.

I mean I may have to call the barbaric practices hotline on this one because lol the irony is killing me.

Meanwhile the muslims and into Canadian community leadership have all but said ok, you messed up.  We accept your apology.

If you're not paying attention.  One party leader is being so dramatic that latino soap operas are in awe.  Another leader will accept racists on his side but will not accept racists on the other.  While at the same time all of a sudden pretending that his party cares about muslims while not 5 years ago said party was all on board a potential travel ban and a hotline for snitches to call if they knew people being to muslimy.  All because Mr. Dressup as they like to call him...dressed up.

I'm sorry but THIS is finally entertaining.

Omg.

stop my torso can’t take it.

:lol:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While we all have our opinions on the matters at hand, I have to say that the discourse on these boards is a breath of fresh air. There's a real balance and willingness to discuss things here that I don't think I could find outside of here.

Thanks to you all for your ideas and opinions.

It really is. A lot of good points and counterpoints get made here, and while the discussions get heated sometimes, it usually doesn't go so far that people get completely bent and receive the ban-hammer. There have been numerous times where I've gone into a thread thinking I was set in my opinion, learned more about the issue at hand from other perspectives, and am better for it. It's one of my favourite things about this board.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If you're not laughing at the irony you should be.

Singh is crying, literally over this telling people to reach out and comfort one another.  Like it was a horrific disaster that killed millions....

Scheer 4 days ago said he'll accept the apology of a candidate that has made almost a decade of racial and homophobic statements.  Because what people say in their youth shouldn't be used against them.  Scheer is now also refusing to accept Trudeau's apology citing "mistakes and racism are never mistakes" while trying to assuage the angst of the into Canadian and muslim community.

I mean I may have to call the barbaric practices hotline on this one because lol the irony is killing me.

Meanwhile the muslims and into Canadian community leadership have all but said ok, you messed up.  We accept your apology.

If you're not paying attention.  One party leader is being so dramatic that latino soap operas are in awe.  Another leader will accept racists on his side but will not accept racists on the other.  While at the same time all of a sudden pretending that his party cares about muslims while not 5 years ago said party was all on board a potential travel ban and a hotline for snitches to call if they knew people being to muslimy.  All because Mr. Dressup as they like to call him...dressed up.

I'm sorry but THIS is finally entertaining.

The political theater this is creating is stupefying.

1 minute ago, Gäz said:

It really is. A lot of good points and counterpoints get made here, and while the discussions get heated sometimes, it usually doesn't go so far that people get completely bent and receive the ban-hammer. There have been numerous times where I've gone into a thread thinking I was set in my opinion, learned more about the issue at hand from other perspectives, and am better for it. It's one of my favourite things about this board.

Very true. A lot of very intelligent people here who are articulate and have a balanced viewpoint that is informed by more than just an ideological approach.

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

Despite everything I've said I'm glad Trudeau is facing his own firing squad here. He's done nothing but help amp up this PC culture we live in and now he's facing the consequences. But it is sad to see Scheer and Bernier jump on that same PC bandwagon for the same reason.

And who knew Singh had such solid acting chops. Day-Lewis is barely missed.

• Haha 2

My goodness what a big stink over nothing,seriously.Justin T. has done a lot worse things,

Lying to Canadian Voters for instance.

With the caliber of candidates (not as bad as HILLARY ,TRUMP BUT CLOSE) we really don't have much choice, do we.

Politicians promise the world come election time, and then as usual don't follow through, until reelection time,then give out a few crumbs to get reelected.

All these A-HOLES work for the wealthy and corporate interests.They seem to not give a f#$k about real Canadians, wouldn't it be great if we got a real leader one day that keeps his word like the majority of good hard working trying to get by Canadians.

Well if this doesn't wreak of political opportunism.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, who the $#@% cares? I mean the politicians and media will make a bunch of noise and the noisy 10% SJW's will fan those flames but 90% plus of the electorate could give two craps that the guy dressed up in a #$%@'ing costume. Jesus...:picard:

I will agree with some of the comments that it is pretty humorous to see JT reaping what he's sewn with his feeding of PC culture. And the irony of Scheer's three day old apology stance is endlessly amusing... but how anyone can still want to vote for any of these clowns is pretty baffling. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Politicians promise the world come election time, and then as usual don't follow through, until reelection time,then give out a few crumbs to get reelected.

All these A-HOLES work for the wealthy and corporate interests.They seem to not give a f#$k about real Canadians, wouldn't it be great if we got a real leader one day that keeps his word like the majority of good hard working trying to get by Canadians.

To be fair, that's just as much the fault of the electorate as the politicians. People are too comfortable, ignorant and uninvolved.

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It seems like white people are always getting the most offended & outraged by this stuff 

Yup, some weird cultural-guilt complex. I wouldn't consider myself a Bill Maher disciple, but his "new rule," that you "cannot be more upset about an infraction/misdeed than the victim," I feel is a pretty good way to look at these things. (I don't remember the exact wording, but it was to that effect.)

Assuming what @Warhippy is correct regarding the Muslim and Indo-Canadian community accepting the apology (I haven't cared to read every article about this one), then everyone else would, and should, move on. However, people always gotta be mad about somethin'.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well if this doesn't wreak of political opportunism.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, who the $#@% cares? I mean the politicians and media will make a bunch of noise and the noisy 10% SJW's will fan those flames but 90% plus of the electorate could give two craps that the guy dressed up in a #$%@'ing costume. Jesus...:picard:

I will agree with some of the comments that it is pretty humorous to see JT reaping what he's sewn with his feeding of PC culture. And the irony of Scheer's three day old apology stance is endlessly amusing... but how anyone can still want to vote for any of these clowns is pretty baffling. 

Because the alternatives are Singh, May and Bernier

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Lol. Someone definitely waited for him to say he only did it twice before releasing video of the third instance.

Regardless of how people try to spin this, I don't think there was ever racist or offensive intent. But, it still was incredibly ignorant and stupid, obviously. 

Maybe I'm out of line here, but I thought the photo was pretty funny. C'mon it was almost 20 years ago. Can we not even relax and let loose, have some fun, dress up on Halloween and just all get along? I would certainly not be offended if any other race dressed up like a white guy. I would probably laugh my a** off. That Andrew Scheer puke, looks like a dirty, lying scumbag. I'm almost sure that F-ers got some skeletons in his closet. I don't trust him at all. At least with Trudeau you know what you're going to get, he's real (human), and he admits his faults.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gäz said:

Assuming what @Warhippy is correct regarding the Muslim and Indo-Canadian community accepting the apology (I haven't cared to read every article about this one), then everyone else would, and should, move on. However, people always gotta be mad about somethin'.

Effectively many communities flat out said ok so what.  Others accepted his apology and thanked him for it.  Nobody is happy with him.  Most think it was gross, distasteful, shameful and done in bad judgement.  But a lot of the community apparently is saying meh.

These are some of the responses from the info community vs the caucasian community.  It's interesting who is more offended about this honestly

Indo community and muslims

The National Council of Canadian Muslims said Trudeau's appearance in brownface was "disgraceful, plain and simple."

"Seeing the prime minister in brownface/blackface is deeply saddening," said NCCM's Executive Director Mustafa Farooq in a Tweet. "The wearing of blackface/brownface is reprehensible, and hearkens back to a history of racism and an Orientalist mythology which is unacceptable."

The council said that while it recognizes that people can change and evolve over time, it was critical that Trudeau "unequivocally apologizes" for the incident. After Trudeau made his public apology, the NCCM issued another tweet thanking him. 

Shahina Siddiqui, executive director of Winnipeg's Islamic Social Services Association, said there are more pressing things to focus on — especially in the midst of a federal election.

"There are many more important issues facing our country right now," Siddiqui said, adding that First Nations left without access to clean drinking water in northern Manitoba, or women banned from wearing hijabs to work under Bill 21 in Quebec, don't get nearly as much attention.

"Why are we not talking about these issues?" she said. "This is what I want to hear from our politicians. Not this below the belt, ridiculous, creating scandals out of nothing."

Siddiqui said she's frustrated by the attention given to the photo, and worries the issue is deflecting from issues like climate change, homelessness and violence against women.

"There is real racism. Those of us who are minorities face it every day from every system in our country. What are we doing to change that system?" said Siddiqui.

Brian Jaramilla said the costume looked racially insensitive, but he felt he needed to give Trudeau the benefit of the doubt.

"I don't want to condemn him on that picture just like that," said Jaramilla. "It looks kind of racially insensitive, [but] almost everyone has some kind of dirt."

Winnipegger Ibrahim Chambu said while he thinks the costume was inappropriate, he doesn't think it's productive to focus on it.

"I don't think they should be be bringing this out right now, because it doesn't make any change," said Chambu. "I don't see it to be really meaningful."

White community...

Some weren't as quick to accept Trudeau's apology.

"[It's] very insensitive and that's it," said Winnipegger Todd Gunnarson. "Words mean nothing. Actions prove."

And others said they're taking the situation as a chance to reflect on their own privilege.

"There are a lot of things to weigh in this election. That kind of behaviour is one of them," said Hannah Little. "But I'm a white person, and so I don't have a full perspective here."

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So as a middle aged white dude with very little experience on the receiving end of racism I don't know quite what to do with this. Do I take Singh at face value? Is this really that bad? Is he making the most of this? I honestly don't know what to do with it. 

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

all you liberal's on here defending Trudeau how would you reaction be is this was Scheer.

I'd probably have peed my pants laughing. I'd be thinking Scheer has no respect for people of colour along with a dislike of LGBTQ+ people.

This isn't an excuse, but there is a difference here. Trudeau was a fricking idiot to have done this, but his behaviour since has been pretty far from racist. Thats just a fact. Scheer on the other hand has views of intolerance, that he says he wont act on if he's PM. Thats a big difference.