The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Laine

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree even at 5 I would take turris cause we have some good young scoring wingers coming up Guad and hoglander and podz and the list goes on. Look at the teams that have won the cup....they win with their third line center as a play maker....I think that's what we are lacking....could help Jake and rooster too or Pearson and  Levio too. 

Yeah that’s a fair point. The question is, what could we give Nashville while saving them some cap? They won’t want to take a lot on with Josi’s contract expiring after this season. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Yeah that’s a fair point. The question is, what could we give Nashville while saving them some cap? They won’t want to take a lot on with Josi’s contract expiring after this season. 

Well we know they wanted Guad in the package for subban....so I would say he would be the start...they might take Guad and a second.....

To Edmonton:

Baertschi, 2020 4th round pick

To Vancouver

Puljujarvi

Then....

To Winnipeg

Stecher

Gaudette

Gadjovich

2020 5th round pick

To Vancouver:

Laine

2020 7th round pick

We would then have 3 of the top 5 picks from that draft class and the 3 guys who made team Finland a force in that years World Juniors!

:towel::frantic::shock:

WE WIN!!!!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Stech, Gaud and our 2020 third sounds fair.  It's painful to give up the potential in Gaud, but Laine, even at his big cap number, should be worth the risk. 

We don’t have the cap space Alf.

Stech + Gaud = $3.24m cap hit

Laine probably around $8m.

Would have to try and offload $4.5-5.0m of cap somewhere.

Possible deal would have to be more like...

To WPG:

Tanev

Baer

Gaudette

(Total = $8.74m)

To VAN:

Laine, signed to $8m x 3 years

I think the CAR deal I posted just above would be much better for WPG

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

To Edmonton:

Baertschi, 2020 4th round pick

To Vancouver

Puljujarvi

Then....

To Winnipeg

Stecher

Gaudette

Gadjovich

2020 5th round pick

To Vancouver:

Laine

2020 7th round pick

We would then have 3 of the top 5 picks from that draft class and the 3 guys who made team Finland a force in that years World Juniors!

:towel::frantic::shock:

WE WIN!!!!

Laine Pettersson Puljujarvi 

Miller Horvat Boeser

Pearson Sutter Ferland

Eriksson Beagle Virtanen 

alright, have to say that would be exciting, haha

• Upvote 2

One of Sutter, Eriksson or Tanev would have to be part of a package for Laine. 

Eriksson (retain $1M), Juolevi, Lind + 2020 2nd

Sutter, Goldobin, Gadjovich + 2020 3rd

Tanev, Baertschi + 2020 2nd

I'd love Laine in our top-6!

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Ferland Horvat Laine

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

Motte Beagle Leivo

Sutter/Eriksson

31 minutes ago, Franz Liszt said:

One of Sutter, Eriksson or Tanev would have to be part of a package for Laine. 

Eriksson (retain $1M), Juolevi, Lind + 2020 2nd

Sutter, Goldobin, Gadjovich + 2020 3rd

Tanev, Baertschi + 2020 2nd

I'd love Laine in our top-6!

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Ferland Horvat Laine

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

Motte Beagle Leivo

Sutter/Eriksson

Explain to me why Winnipeg would bite on any of those crap offers?  We’re talking about a 21 year old offensive dynamo that has already had a 44 goal season. And you offer cap dumps and odd and ends. 

lemme see

we have ep40, brock, bo, hughes... all young .. all will need healthy raises in the next 2 to 3 years

and people want laine

so who of the above 4 are we prepared to part with for laine

cuz we will not be able to keep them all

and what about character and locker room culture

people really want laine?

not sure he is better then any of the 4 we currently have

when you account for his lesser or maybe negative attributes

he is a risky elite asset to add to our club

we really do not need to be in on every possible available talented hockey player

i prefer to pass on laine

and while we are passing

i'd pass on poolparty as well

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Explain to me why Winnipeg would bite on any of those crap offers?  We’re talking about a 21 year old offensive dynamo that has already had a 44 goal season. And you offer cap dumps and odd and ends. 

Well I would offer the 2021 first,

Or 2 2nds. But now looking at what other teams could offer I'd say we little to zero chance to land him. Therefore, my stance has changed on Laine in the span of a couole hours lol

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Because there is a cap.  Laine wants what 10 plus per?  You want us to pay him that cap hit?  His value is kind of low because it’s the cap era and he wants a lot.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because there is a cap.  Laine wants what 10 plus per?  You want us to pay him that cap hit?  His value is kind of low because it’s the cap era and he wants a lot.  

Regardless.  If he’s on the market there are teams that will give actual valuable assets to get a 21 year old potential superstar.  Not spare parts and cap dumps. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Regardless.  If he’s on the market there are teams that will give actual valuable assets to get a 21 year old potential superstar.  Not spare parts and cap dumps. 

Mike Liut is the agent for Laine & Ratanan.  He thinks Ratanan should get the same $/term as Marner, as they have similar points and great Cs feeding them.  Whereas the Jets are weak at the C position, which has caused a decline in Laine's #s last season (you can imagine what his stats would have looked like had he had the Cs those other 2 had).

Fans are vastly underrating Laine's value.

• Upvote 1

Laine wont go anywhere. If u got a potential +40 goalscorer on ur roster and u got rights for him, u aint gonna pass that player up unless its unreasonable salary e is asking for. That he makes stupid comments is not exactly improving his place in the team but none the less he will most likely end up with a bridge deal.

On 9/19/2019 at 12:49 PM, Alflives said:

I don’t know how much value Laine has right now.  If he’s demanding 10 million per over a long term, is he really worth that?  Any team that trades for Laine would be shelling out a lot of their cap space on a potential 50 goal scorer, or a potential flake.  I think the risk factor with Laine lowers his value.  Risto okay, but nothing more.  And even then I think the Jets would have to take more money is a cap dump. 

Given the wildly inconsistent season that Laine has last year, coupled by what appears to be a very one dimensional game, I don’t think Laine is worth a long term contract.  The market dictates value and right now, the market is saying that players in the same boat as him should be getting a bridge deal (Point, Boeser, Tkachuk).  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 3:19 AM, -AJ- said:

Isles would be nuts to make that deal. Bailey himself out-scores Laine (in points) and Dobson has a high chance of becoming a top 4 guy in a few years. Laine's such a risk. There's a chance he scores 50 goals, but also a chance that his attitude and work ethic problems plague him and he struggles to exceed 60 points for the rest of his career.

image.png

Boof. This already hasn't aged well :lol: 

• Haha 1