The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Systemic Oppression in Canada

5Fivehole0

15 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

It does not exist, and neither does male privilege. I challenge those who disagree to change my mind. There is no proof nor laws in Canada that says there is.

Que the trolls.

Sorry Dude... Canada has oppressed its own....

Seizure of Japanese-Canadian boats resonates today, maritime museum says. VANCOUVER — During the Second World War nearly 1,200 fishing boats owned by Japanese-Canadians were seized by Canadian officials on the B.C. coast — an action that followed Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.Mar 7, 2017

https://www.google.com/search?q=japanese+fishing+fleet+in+bc+seized&oq=japanese+fishing+fleet+in+bc+seized&aqs=chrome..69i57.6609j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

It does not exist, and neither does male privilege. I challenge those who disagree to change my mind. There is no proof nor laws in Canada that says there is.

Que the trolls.

In todays day and age, agreed, equal opportunity is widespread.

13 minutes ago, smokes said:

What about the fact that mothers will always have a better chance of getting custody of a child just because she is the mother. 

You are more likely to be incarcerated and be given a stiffer sentence for the same crime a woman might commit. Life is really hard for men, we should definitely revolt. 

Edited by Toews

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

You are more likely to be incarcerated and for longer periods of time for the same crimes as women. Life is really hard for men, we should definitely revolt. 

Yah tell your GF  / Wife that child berth is equally hard for the male as the female......

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah tell your GF  / Wife that child berth is equally hard for the male as the female......

That’s Eve’s fault.  What exactly did Adam get as equal punishment?  Women you will suffer incredibly, and often die, in childbirth.  Men, you will talk with friends, while eating pizza and enjoying the game.  

I know I didn't oppress anyone and I see good people everywhere just trying to make a life for themselves like anyone.

Its a pretty good time to be alive, the internet and the knowledge is the enlightenment x 100000.

People should stop getting at each other's throats over such contrived pettiness.

If there was something to gripe about that we could all perhaps agree on, is that we are all equally oppressed by an out of control central government beholden to international agreements, which none of us had any part in signing, and are a part of something on the order of six generations worth of debt, most of which we had absolutely no part in spending, or using. I really wish people would come together over this one thing, because I feel most of the real reason the other divisions are pushed, are to keep us from this realization.

We pay too far FAR too much tax, and are nickeled and dimed by an increasingly out of control, and unaccountable bureaucracies at ALL levels.  Change my mind.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Digital archive of old B.C. textbooks highlights 'constant dehumanizing of Indigenous people'

racist-text-books-indigenous-curriculum.
The University of Victoria holds a digital archive of old Canadian textbooks that include inappropriate and racist images of Indigenous people. (UVic/Pia Russell)

Pia Russell does her work and research deep in the archives of the library at the University of Victoria — but is making sure that the legacy of prejudice she's uncovering in old school textbooks is not forgotten.

Russell, a subject librarian at UVic's McPherson Library who is responsible for Indigenous studies, has started creating a digital collection of historical textbooks used in B.C. schools since 1866.

"There is a real public interest in these textbooks," she said.

"Textbooks really are a source, as newspapers are, of societal views throughout history."

Pia Russell is working on building a digital library of the textbooks as part of her master's degree in public history. (Jean Paetkau/CBC)

The views of Indigenous people in those textbooks, which stretch back more than a century, were rarely positive.

At best they presented stereotypes, but the images and text often bled over into racist commentary.

• "There was just this constant dehumanizing of Indigenous people," Russell said. 

Other Canadian history textbooks completely omitted the culture and perspectives of Indigenous people.

old-text-books.jpg
These kinds of textbooks may have been used in residential schools. Unlike public schools, there was was no set curriculum — the churches decided what was taught. (UVic/Pia Russell)

Changes over the decades

Russell has countless examples of derogatory content taught in schools. She went through a few history and geography books, decade by decade.

Learned men tell us that the Indians west of the Rocky Mountains are descended from the inhabitants of the opposite coasts of Alaska or of the islands of the Pacific Ocean but no one has yet discovered certain evidence of this or of how or when they found their way to our shores.- The History and Geography of British Columbia

Skipping ahead to the 1960s was better, but not by much.

•  

A book called Canada: Unity and Diversity, from 1967, included a section on "The Amerinds," a term for Indigenous people that was rarely used.

"Here, they are starting to realize that "savage" carries derogatory connotations," Russell said.

old-text-books.jpg
A lot of the public interest in the old textbooks has to do with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Pia Russell explains, because of what it says about the representation of Indigenous people in the past. (UVic/Pia Russell)

Moving to the present

By the 1990s and early 2000s, there was a stronger attempt to identify the diversity of Indigenous peoples by naming different nations and including stories of oral history.

•  

Many textbooks still portrayed Canada starting around 1900 or with Confederation, though.

It was around this point that "entire textbooks devoted to Indigenous studies" began to circulate, Russell said, but it was still supplemental curriculum up to the discretion of the teacher.

old-textbooks.jpg
Later textbooks began to change the narrative of Canadian history and not solely focus on European influence on the continent. (UVic/Pia Russell)

School districts across British Columbia are now embracing a new Indigenous curriculum, mandated by the province, as the new school year starts this fall. But that doesn't mean what was taught will fade away.

"If we want to move toward reconciliation, we need to know the truth," she said. "We have these collections and I think we are obligated to share these difficult histories with people in the public."

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1