The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Draft Pick Savings Account !!!

Timing is everything!

The expansion draft is in June 2021. There is a lot of time to evaluate our options and make the best move for the Canucks.

Markstrom’s current contract finishes after this season and he will be a UFA. He might choose to walk away and sign a better offer somewhere else. 

If he is keen to stay there are several options for the Canucks:

1. Sign Marky to a one year contract for next season on a very decent salary with the indication that we would look to sign him long term in 2021 after the expansion draft.

2. Resign Marky long term and then:

a. Trade him prior to the expansion

b. Protect him for the expansion

c. Leave him unprotected

The Canucks will select one of the above options based on the relative performances of Marky and Demko.

There is no rush! No need to make a rash/wrong move!

I'm a simple man.

Someone asks for an upvote, I give them an upvote.

As for your idea, I think it's inevitable that Seattle snags someone from us that we don't want to lose, be it a goalie or a player at another position. I don't think it's a given they would take whichever one of Markstrom and Demko that is unprotected - but if they want to we could always throw in a pick and/or a prospect to lead them more down the road of selecting Eriksson instead :D

I will say that Markstrom finally appears to be living up to his potential and that is great news for all of us because you know you can't win the Stanlee cup without a good tendy eh

Edited by BrockBoester

I think the lesson learned from the Vegas expansion is that teams are going to loose a player.  There is no point loosing more than one player.  The rules enable teams to protect their core so they're only going to loose a support player.  So DON'T FREAK OUT!! :frantic:

Benning want's internal competition.  It is healthy.  There are a lot of posters who seem worried about the numbers of players that the Canucks have but look, the best players, the players who can perform under pressure when their jobs are on the line are going to make the team.  That is good for the team.  This is true even in goal.  Markstrom has to play for his next contract this year.  Demko has to play for ice time.  The best goalie will be protected.

Let the chips fall where they may.  We may feel that strong players are exposed in the expansion draft but it is no sure thing that who we feel is the best player is going to be selected.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Snapshot85 said:

As of late I have been looking at our goalies, Marky is looking great and so is Demsky. For the first time in a bit I'm happy about our goalie situation.

Then I got thinking of the expansion draft. 

And it led me to this conclusion.... were going to lose a goalie.

...... ok maybe not a goalie but one of our beloved players will be left unprotected....probably a goalie..lol and proof

Gone without any compensation.

I believe with some proper and careful planning we may be able to gain a competative edge against our opponents. 

The premise is simple. Dont lose high end assets you want to keep but cant protect during the exp draft.

Enter draft pick savings plan. Lol.. ok terrible name but its 2am so cut me some slack. 

The thought is to trade one or 2 of our higher end players we cant protect for some higher end draft picks Or protected prospects so the asset is not lost its saved. 

And dont shoot me

...but depending on how Marky plays

.... that might mean our best interest is to trade a player or 2 like demko sooner rather than later

Keep those picks in the bank

Any other trades were currently lookin at should be for protected prospects or draft picks.

I know it's a tall order... but think on it. Obviously cant trade the team away.... 

Just somethin to chew on and chat about.

Cheers.

Upvotes welcome lol

I agree with your premise that we might have to trade an asset to help out with expansion draft.

but a few thoughts 

you don’t wanna give up on or move demko and see him flourish somewhere else. 

Marky isn’t signed so there’s no guarantee him being unprotected he’d get picked or if he did no telling if he doesn’t hit free agency and come back. 

Plus if the protection rules are the same as last expansion it’s 7 forwards 3 d and 1 goalie or 8 total players 

so with the second option realistically both goalies can get protected

just quickly off the top of my head

bo. Boes. Petey. Miller. Myers. Edler. Marky. Demko. 

Unless we wanted to leave Myers or edlers big contracts unprotected to cover Juolevi or any of our other guys

and option 3 is to do what most teams did with Vegas trade Seattle players and some picks to protect certain players unprotected

so not all doom and gloom but jbs gonna need to get creative

I like the idea

BUT...………...I hate the idea of trading Demko

the reality is Markstrom is too close to retirement...….

I would be more in the camp of protecting him with a pick or asset

Just because of Demko's potential.....

Take a look at Demko's game stats last year...…….I know small sample size

He played 9 games...…….take his best and worst game out of the mix and look at his average GGA and Save %

It puts him top 10 in the league...……...and he is ranked as the 5th best young goalie

I am not trading that for anything short of a top 10 pick...….and then only maybe a top 7 or 8 pick

Now, lets go through this year and see where he is at, then think about it again

Now, the other fringe players...….or disposables Sutter/Baer/Leivo sure! If you can get anything for them (but probably not all of them)

But...…..not Demko!!!!!!!!!!! (How do I really feel?) lol

Now, go back to work or bed! LOL

Hey, good post!

9 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

I'm a simple man.

Someone asks for an upvote, I give them an upvote.

As for your idea, I think it's inevitable that Seattle snags someone from us that we don't want to lose, be it a goalie or a player at another position. I don't think it's a given they would take whichever one of Markstrom and Demko that is unprotected - but if they want to we could always throw in a pick and/or a prospect to lead them more down the road of selecting Eriksson instead :D

I will say that Markstrom finally appears to be living up to his potential and that is great news for all of us because you know you can't win the Stanlee cup without a good tendy eh

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I think the lesson learned from the Vegas expansion is that teams are going to loose a player.  There is no point loosing more than one player.  The rules enable teams to protect their core so they're only going to loose a support player.  So DON'T FREAK OUT!! :frantic:

Benning want's internal competition.  It is healthy.  There are a lot of posters who seem worried about the numbers of players that the Canucks have but look, the best players, the players who can perform under pressure when their jobs are on the line are going to make the team.  That is good for the team.  This is true even in goal.  Markstrom has to play for his next contract this year.  Demko has to play for ice time.  The best goalie will be protected.

Let the chips fall where they may.  We may feel that strong players are exposed in the expansion draft but it is no sure thing that who we feel is the best player is going to be selected.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I like the idea

He played 9 games...…….take his best and worst game out of the mix and look at his average GGA and Save %

It puts him top 10 in the league...……...and he is ranked as the 5th best young goalie

I am not trading that for anything short of a top 10 pick...….and then only maybe a top 7 or 8 pick

Now, lets go through this year and see where he is at, then think about it again

Now, the other fringe players...….or disposables Sutter/Baer/Leivo sure! If you can get anything for them (but probably not all of them)

Hey, good post!

I see where you all are coming from. 

Demko was just a good example in my proposal because we should have to good goalies.... and we wouldn't want to lose them for nothing. That applies to the entire team. 

The thing is throwing in a draft pick to protect some of our better talent is still losing equity.

Where as if we trade  a few good value guys.... with potential on good contracts... guys you look at and say there's a  good chance hes going to be taken. We should get some decent picks.... that could be used like cash to reacuire similar assets after the expansion draft. That way we are losing less equity. 

I believe not trying to be proactive and protect our assets .... is not the attitude of a winning team. 

I'm not saying this is the solution. 

But it's a intresting premise.

Cheers guys and thanks for the discussion

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I like the idea

Hey, good post!

If when the time comes, Demko is the better goalie, protect Demko.  Problem solved.

Markstrom is 29, 30 in January.  He is not old for a goalie.  He could very well be a top 10 goal keeper for 7 or 8 years.  Do you toss that out?  Hell no!  Benning is going to wait and see and rightly so.

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

If when the time comes, Demko is the better goalie, protect Demko.  Problem solved.

Markstrom is 29, 30 in January.  He is not old for a goalie.  He could very well be a top 10 goal keeper for 7 or 8 years.  Do you toss that out?  Hell no!  Benning is going to wait and see and rightly so.

Oh, don't get me wrong CC

I don't think it is a good idea at this moment to get rid of either, and would spend an asset to save one

But I think that is also premature, because we are not there yet

I would say however...…..I bet Demko out goalies Markstrom……….just MHO

Time will tell...……..sure hope there is another goalie controversy.....one could hope! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't think it is a good idea at this moment to get rid of either, and would spend an asset to save one

Time will tell...……..sure hope there is another goalie controversy.....one could hope! 

All of this is a very nice problem to have for a change Haha 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

You're probably right about Demko fwiw but Marky looked pretty darn good last night

• Upvote 1