The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van - WPG (Proposal)

BoKnows

If DB does end up retiring the Jets will be scrambling for some defence.  I don't know if someone like OJ would be an attractive asset for the Jets.  I was thinking that the Canucks could package some young assets for a player like Ehlers or Connor.  I'm thinking a potential trade could end up looking like this.

Van

OJ - $863 000

Tanev - $4 450 000

Gaudette - $916 000

WPG

Ehlers/Connor - $6 000 000

We would still be over the cap, so JB is going to have to get creative and find a taker for our 6 million dollar man or Sutter.  

Honestly I don't think it's out of the picture for a trade like this to happen.  The Jets will need D to contend and we can give them our not so amazing D and some young assets for a solid winger.  Obviously this won't happen but it's fun to play pretend every once in a while.  What are your thoughts on a trade scenario like this?

13 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

If DB does end up retiring the Jets will be scrambling for some defence.  I don't know if someone like OJ would be an attractive asset for the Jets.  I was thinking that the Canucks could package some young assets for a player like Ehlers or Connor.  I'm thinking a potential trade could end up looking like this.

Van

OJ - $863 000

Tanev - $4 450 000

Gaudette - $916 000

WPG

We would still be over the cap, so JB is going to have to get creative and find a taker for our 6 million dollar man or Sutter.  

Honestly I don't think it's out of the picture for a trade like this to happen.  The Jets will need D to contend and we can give them our not so amazing D and some young assets for a solid winger.  Obviously this won't happen but it's fun to play pretend every once in a while.  What are your thoughts on a trade scenario like this?

The Jets may have to deal with the fact that they aren't contending anymore. No need to weaken the Canucks future to help out a team whose GM made some poor choices.

I'd rather the Canucks hold on to the aforementioned players and have them help the team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Uh,no.

But thanks for playing

O.J AND GAUDETTE are up and comers and just in case you forgot Adam was a HOBEY BAKER WINNER,you just don't trade guys like that unless absolutely necessary.

l for one do not want to trade O.J. and see him solidify some other teams defense.Oh ya, and TANEV is one of our most solid guys we have back there on defense.

SO ,NO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have a feeling Benny Hutton will be wearing a Jets jersey this season. They might also take a run at Ristolainen. The Jets are in a heap of trouble, with losing half their D, and the possibility that Laine will bolt and Buf retiring. Their fans won't be impressed. Chevy and Maurice might be looking for new jobs. Time to tear it down and start over IMO. Re-sign Connor and rebuld arond Little, Connor, Sheifele and Wheeler. Re-sign Laine and trade him immediately for a top pairing Dman.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Uh,no.

But thanks for playing

O.J AND GAUDETTE are up and comers and just in case you forgot Adam was a HOBEY BAKER WINNER,you just don't trade guys like that unless absolutely necessary.

l for one do not want to trade O.J. and see him solidify some other teams defense.Oh ya, and TANEV is one of our most solid guys we have back there on defense.

SO ,NO.

I feel like you're over valuing our assets.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Jets may have to deal with the fact that they aren't contending anymore. No need to weaken the Canucks future to help out a team whose GM made some poor choices.

I'd rather the Canucks hold on to the aforementioned players and have them help the team.

I think the Jets can still turn it around with the right moves. Moving Laine could net them a king's ransom that they could rebuild the defense with on the fly. Trading Connor, Ehlers or Scheifele (who's being way underpaid as a PPG player so he'd be very attractive), would get them a heck of a haul as well. 

So I would think Winnipeg would reject the proposed trade because they can get a better offer elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have a feeling Benny Hutton will be wearing a Jets jersey this season. They might also take a run at Ristolainen. The Jets are in a heap of trouble, with losing half their D, and the possibility that Laine will bolt and Buf retiring. Their fans won't be impressed. Chevy and Maurice might be looking for new jobs. Time to tear it down and start over IMO. Re-sign Connor and rebuld arond Little, Connor, Sheifele and Wheeler. Re-sign Laine and trade him immediately for a top pairing Dman.

Hutton was signed by LA.

8 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think the Jets can still turn it around with the right moves. Moving Laine could net them a king's ransom that they could rebuild the defense with on the fly. Trading Connor, Ehlers or Scheifele (who's being way underpaid as a PPG player so he'd be very attractive), would get them a heck of a haul as well. 

The defense has three glaring holes all on the right side. Byfuglien being the biggest (both literally and figuratively). He could dominate a game in a way very few defensemen can. Couple that with Myers coming here, and Trouba going to NY, and the defense is decimated. That'll be a hard one to come back from, unless the proposed trades you've suggested yield a clear-cut top four defenseman.

Scheifele should be considered an untouchable in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

So I would think Winnipeg would reject the proposed trade because they can get a better offer elsewhere. 

I agree.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The defense has three glaring holes all on the right side. Byfuglien being the biggest (both literally and figuratively). He could dominate a game in a way very few defensemen can. Couple that with Myers coming here, and Trouba going to NY, and the defense is decimated. That'll be a hard one to come back from, unless the proposed trades you've suggested yield a clear-cut top four defenseman.

For sure, I can't remember a quality D group I've seen more effectively gutted in a single off season than this in recent memory. It would definitely take some savvy on their part but I feel like they have the assets to easily get Faulk+ out of Carolina. Then they have the 1st they got from the Trouba trade to help fill in more of the holes on the right.  

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Scheifele should be considered an untouchable in my opinion. 

Yeah, scratch including him. After Scheifele, the centre depth takes a sharp hit. Still though, one of Ehlers, Connor or Laine would be a hell of a carrot to dangle in front of a team. 

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

For sure, I can't remember a quality D group I've seen more effectively gutted in a single off season than this in recent memory. It would definitely take some savvy on their part but I feel like they have the assets to easily get Faulk+ out of Carolina. Then they have the 1st they got from the Trouba trade to help fill in more of the holes on the right.  

Yeah, scratch including him. After Scheifele, the centre depth takes a sharp hit. Still though, one of Ehlers, Connor or Laine would be a hell of a carrot to dangle in front of a team. 

I hate to be all smug, but the Canucks are looking pretty good comparatively.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Agreed, though it is a bit of column A and column B there. Yes, the Canucks' D looks better on paper now but that's also a testament to just how much the Jets lost as well. 

Very true. Byfuglien and Trouba are very, very good defensemen, whom I would love to see on the Canucks roster.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Van

OJ - $863 000

Tanev - $4 450 000

Gaudette - $916 000

WPG

I am not certain that OJ himself will not be a more valuable player in a couple of years that Ehlers.  Connor is better.  However, I would not give up these 3 great pieces for either of them.

If I were the Jets, I would go to Philly and offer Laine for Sanheim and Patrick.  Some would need to be added to make it work.  Laine is the type of player who Philly needs.  They have lots of all around good players, but nobody who scores like Laine.  Sanheim and Patrick would be Jets for years and are both from Manitoba so wouldn't be yearning to leave.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

If I were the Jets, I would go to Philly and offer Laine for Sanheim and Patrick.  Some would need to be added to make it work.  Laine is the type of player who Philly needs.  They have lots of all around good players, but nobody who scores like Laine.  Sanheim and Patrick would be Jets for years and are both from Manitoba so wouldn't be yearning to leave.  

That would be a really fair trade too.  Sanheim and Patrick have potential, but aren't really living up to their early hype.  Laine, is ... well ... appearing to be a selfish flake, who just might score crazy amounts goals.  

4 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am not certain that OJ himself will not be a more valuable player in a couple of years that Ehlers.  Connor is better.  However, I would not give up these 3 great pieces for either of them.

Either player would be an excellent addition to our top six. Ehlers for his speed and playmaking, then Connor for his elite two-way play and ability to consistently score 25+ goals. I would think they’d rather move Ehlers though. 

• Upvote 1