The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van - WPG (Proposal)

BoKnows

I think Winnipeg is in big hurt...……...

They Have lost both Trouba and Myers

And now Big Buff is thinking on leaving????

There RD is depleted, and they will have to give up something

Makes you wonder what Winnipeg would get for Laine?

But they are ripe for the picking...…...absolutely!...…….

I see the Canucks dangling Tanev...….why?

Because of their depth...……..and it helps us, IMO

Who takes Tanev's spot on our Blue Line...………….Benn, Stecher, Rafferty

Possibly Tryamkin later on?

Can Benn play defense as well as Tanev? ………….Pretty close, IMO

Can Stecher play in the second pairing With Edler?....I think so

Can Rafferty play 3rd pairing minutes on the right side....It looks like it

Who takes Benn's spot on LHD?...…..

Brisebois/Sautner....later on possibly Juolevi

When push comes to shove......what would Winnipeg pay?

Tanev for 2020 1st? (they had the 20th pick this last year)

My question is, where does Winnipeg get their RHD? Who is going to give them one?

To me, this is a huge opportunity, to move Tanev and clear cap

But think about it this way

Does Tanev fill Buff's shoes......no

What happens if Tanev gets injured....

My guess is they fall, if they don't have a Dman there quick

My bet is the Peg makes 2 moves for RHD if Buff retires

otherwise they are pouched!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

They Have lost both Trouba and Myers

And now Big Buff is thinking on leaving????

There RD is depleted, and they will have to give up something

Makes you wonder what Winnipeg would get for Laine?

But they are ripe for the picking...…...absolutely!...…….

Because of their depth...……..and it helps us, IMO

Who takes Tanev's spot on our Blue Line...………….Benn, Stecher, Rafferty

Possibly Tryamkin later on?

Can Benn play defense as well as Tanev? ………….Pretty close, IMO

Can Stecher play in the second pairing With Edler?....I think so

Can Rafferty play 3rd pairing minutes on the right side....It looks like it

Who takes Benn's spot on LHD?...…..

Brisebois/Sautner....later on possibly Juolevi

When push comes to shove......what would Winnipeg pay?

My question is, where does Winnipeg get their RHD? Who is going to give them one?

To me, this is a huge opportunity, to move Tanev and clear cap

But think about it this way

Does Tanev fill Buff's shoes......no

What happens if Tanev gets injured....

My guess is they fall, if they don't have a Dman there quick

My bet is the Peg makes 2 moves for RHD if Buff retires

otherwise they are pouched!

If the Jets want a right d man they would be better off going hard after Ristolainen rather the Tanev especailly if they use one of there big top 6 guys and a pick in return. Plus I don't think they would want to trade in the west especailly to Vancouver who already poached Myers. I don't think Tanev has much value right now but if he stays healthy and has a good year maybe we could get something in a package @ TDL

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You do realise that Tanev even in his, cough, prime?  Did not command what CDC hoped? There is no Taylor Hall for Tanev in our past. Nor for Ehlers, in our future.

Tanev has averaged 50 games & 11 points the last 3 years. As an injury prone D man, he'll also be 30 at the deadline.

Maybe if he stays healthy, Maybe? At the deadline if he is playing 23 minutes a night. He might creep up to a second and a 4th.

Don't hold your breath...

Bieksa commanding a mid 3rd round pick is a likely comparable IMO.

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You do realise that Tanev even in his, cough, prime?  Did not command what CDC hoped? There is no Taylor Hall for Tanev in our past. Nor for Ehlers, in our future.

Tanev has averaged 50 games & 11 points the last 3 years. As an injury prone D man, he'll also be 30 at the deadline.

Maybe if he stays healthy, Maybe? At the deadline if he is playing 23 minutes a night. He might creep up to a second and a 4th.

Don't hold your breath...

Bieksa commanding a mid 3rd round pick is a likely comparable IMO.

Yeah, I think this IS doable. Be hard to say bye to CT(just as we're turning the corner), but maybe WINN would sign him to a 4, 5 yr gig? Something we can't really offer.

I think Jan is right, Surfer. Strike now & the 'Peg might overpay. Then they can flip that Laine punk for more youth & D, & sign Connor. They only have 41 contracts. Retain on CT to sweeten the return.

Van: Tanev(retain 1.5 mill), Leivo

WINN: 2020 1st & 2021 3rd rounders. If they miss PO's, reverse to 3rd in 2020 & say, 2 2nd's(2021 & 2022, for example; or their 2021 1st, they can pick!)

****************************************************************:

So we load up with picks & open 5 mill of space.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, I think this IS doable. Be hard to say bye to CT(just as we're turning the corner), but maybe WINN would sign him to a 4, 5 yr gig? Something we can't really offer.

I think Jan is right, Surfer. Strike now & the 'Peg might overpay. Then they can flip that Laine punk for more youth & D, & sign Connor. They only have 41 contracts. Retain on CT to sweeten the return.

Van: Tanev(retain 1.5 mill), Leivo

WINN: 2020 1st & 2021 3rd rounders. If they miss PO's, reverse to 3rd in 2020 & say, 2 2nd's(2021 & 2022, for example; or their 2021 1st, they can pick!)

****************************************************************:

So we load up with picks & open 5 mill of space.

Its fun to pick on the fat kid at school too,,, ie kick the Jets when their down?

But If Winnipeg is not a contender? He certainly wont make them one! Why do they pay anything for Tanev.  Tanev is 30 and misses 30 games a season, Nor has their GM ever panicked and overpaid for quick solutions that are not that foundational.

His value is as a veteran pick up for a play off team.

Offer Winnipeg Stecher, the rights to Tryamkin. Hell, offer them Jett Woo or JUolevi. They are a young team. They will want a solution that re grows with their team.  

The Jets have been decimated by UFAs fleeing, arrogance from a young player, and an early retirement from Big Buff.

The Jets are at risk of being under Cap minimum and the team is on course for a severe struggle this year.

The Canucks have somehow called off the rebuild, hit the Cap ceiling, signed a plethora of pretty decent UFAs, traded for a pretty good guy and now need to shed at least two players from the prospected 23 man roster.

WPG

Sutter

Tanev

Goldobin

VAN

1st

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

The Jets have been decimated by UFAs fleeing, arrogance from a young player, and an early retirement from Big Buff.

The Jets are at risk of being under Cap minimum and the team is on course for a severe struggle this year.

The Canucks have somehow called off the rebuild, hit the Cap ceiling, signed a plethora of pretty decent UFAs, traded for a pretty good guy and now need to shed at least two players from the prospected 23 man roster.

WPG

Sutter

Tanev

Goldobin

VAN

1st

This is a more realistic trade.  I can see the Jets buying into this trade, a Hail Mary move for the executives.  I'm assuming that a lot of people in Winnipeg are scrambling and could be out of a job soon.

As nice as some of those trades look for the Canucks, I don't see WPG trading with VAN.

If Byfuglien actually retires (and that's a big if) then WPG will need to look carefully at their options to solidify their RHD. They really need two guys. One that can be a legit top pairing RD, and another that can bring a veteran presence/depth and play RD on the 2nd or 3rd pairing. Bearing in mind that Pionk, who is probably their top RD behind Buff, is only 24 and has only played one season in the NHL. It would be useful to have that veteran presence to shelter him and allow him to grow into the second pairing role.

The two players that come to mind are:

Justin Faulk - a RD that provides offence, size and plays with an edge. CAR recently added Gardiner to their already great D corps, so they have incredible depth on their blueline and could afford to trade Faulk for a decent asset, probably a forward. Faulk would be ideal for that top pairing role with Morrissey.

Luke Schenn - Luke has shown he is a gritty vet that can handle himself adequately bringing simple, solid and low risk plays. He would be a good a cheap target for WPG. Tampa Bay have signed him for one year only, but have since added Shattenkirk which pushes Schenn down the depth chart, probably into the AHL. He may relish the opportunity to play a bigger role in the NHL. Luke would be a good option as that 2nd/3rd pairing guy.

What assets can they use to get these guys?

I feel that they would be stupid to trade an offensive dynamo such as Laine, he could be a future STAR in the NHL. Despite his comments and his contract demands, WPG should keep him. The one positive if Buff retires is that they will have the cap space to sign both Connor and Laine. I think they would be dumb not to do that.

I reckon Faulk could be had for a top prospect. He only has one year left on his current contract, so WPG would only be buying that year. I feel that they could get him by trading one of either: Appleton, Roslovic or Vesalainen. I'm going to guess it would take Vesalainen, but if WPG can make it Appleton + 2020 3rd then that would be better for WPG.

I think Schenn could be had for as little as a 5th round pick.

This only buys WPG some relief for 1 season. But it does give them the chance to evaluate Faulk and Schenn before committing to anything long-term.

The other thing to remember is that WPG have some great young Dmen in their system (such as Heinola, Samberg, Stanley, Chisholm) but these guys are probably 1-2 seasons away from the NHL.

Well I’m sure they’d love to have any RHD right about now... but no way they take that deal.   Ehlers is a decent top six winger - and they probably value Conner the same way we value BB.  

They could definitely find a better offer somewhere else.   Would we trade BB, JV (Ehlers has more value but can’t think of who else we have that’s a similar age so went with him, Miller might be more realistic) for a top four defensive D who’s good for 50 games and two years, a former top five pick who’s also often injured and whose career is definitely not a foregone conclusion - lets say Honka (but Pouilet might be more realistic) just because he’s also stalled and a Hobey Baker winner whose career ceiling is probably a third line center - maybe with second line upside?  Not a chance. 

Unless its Connor coming back, I will forever be against moving Gaudette after his showing this training camp. Also, the Jets are likely looking for more experienced options as they still hope to contend and we just don't have the pieces to make that move.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:22 AM, BoKnows said:

If DB does end up retiring the Jets will be scrambling for some defence.  I don't know if someone like OJ would be an attractive asset for the Jets.  I was thinking that the Canucks could package some young assets for a player like Ehlers or Connor.  I'm thinking a potential trade could end up looking like this.

Van

OJ - $863 000

Tanev - $4 450 000

Gaudette - $916 000

WPG

Ehlers/Connor - $6 000 000

We would still be over the cap, so JB is going to have to get creative and find a taker for our 6 million dollar man or Sutter.  

Honestly I don't think it's out of the picture for a trade like this to happen.  The Jets will need D to contend and we can give them our not so amazing D and some young assets for a solid winger.  Obviously this won't happen but it's fun to play pretend every once in a while.  What are your thoughts on a trade scenario like this?

1. Gaudette is a no for sure. He is going to be a valuable piece of our core in the near future as a 3C.

2. Olli has gone through hell to get to this point. I want to see what he is at the NHL level.

3. Tanev has to prove he's healthy and can play more than half a season at a time.

4. If Winnipeg's going to deal a big piece, I would think it more likely Laine finds a new address than Connor.