The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the best city to play in in the NHL?

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

23 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Preferred destinations would be:

Vancouver, San Jose, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas

My NTC cities would be:

Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto

Seems like I kinda mirror what quite a few NHL'ers have in the NTC cities...seriously, I could NOT live in Winnipeg in the winter...

Does ABNuck not stand for Alberta Canuck? Honest question...

Move to Edmonton from Winnipeg? I have done it. Winnipeg is pure colder in winter true.  But I take it anyway.  Winter arrives 5 weeks earlier in Northern Alberta, Give or take 20th October & leaves 5 weeks later. And summer as well. It rarely gets above 22 degree's.  

Everyone has their own ideas of "best".

For some, it's $$ and so US vs Canada comes into play.

Some prefer to be closer to family.

Weather/climate is a big factor - but some prefer summer, others like to ski, etc. and winter is alright too.

Big city anonymity versus small town eat/breathe/sleep hockey locations where everything you do is noticed.

Then it's also where a team is at and what direction they're going in.

I'd say Vancouver currently offers a pretty good mix for the most part.  Places like Arizona and Florida would be weird for some...sweltering hot as you head to the rink.  Also, risk of hurricanes and other natural disasters in places like Florida. 

You have pros/cons for all places...it's just about individuals and what personally suits them.

• Upvote 2

If I was an NHLer... I'd choose NYC.  I hate the Rangers, but NYC is pretty much one of a handful of A+ cities in the world.  Vancouver is pretty much like a B city in comparison.

MSG is filled every night, you have passionate fans, and you still have the anonymity to go grocery shopping, drop your kids to school, and just grabbing a cup of coffee without being hassled by fans.  As an NHL player, you're pretty much a small fry in terms of celebrities and the ultra-wealthy.  

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Does ABNuck not stand for Alberta Canuck? Honest question...

Move to Edmonton from Winnipeg? I have done it. Winnipeg is pure colder in winter true.  But I take it anyway.  Winter arrives 5 weeks earlier in Northern Alberta, Give or take 20th October & leaves 5 weeks later. And summer as well. It rarely gets above 22 degree's.  

I'm more in the south central area of Alberta...but still, given a choice (and even a league minimum paycheque) gimme a southern destination. I'm getting to be Snowbird age (I'm still awaiting the so-called "Freedom 55"...should have kicked in last week...didn't see a penny...oh well), so the warmer climate in the hockey season beckons. I'll go check out the Nux in Vegas again this winter, and maybe catch a Cali road trip, but other than that it'll be bundle up and shovel for me this winter...BLAH!

• -SN- changed the title to What is the best city to play in in the NHL?
On 9/20/2019 at 11:01 AM, xereau said:

What is the best city in the NHL in which to play?

Sorry, been editing a book for the last 2 weeks, and uh, yeah.

Probably Dallas or Nashville.  Great culture, great weather, and you don't get recognized.

What does the question have to do with you editing a book?  

Nothing

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 12:12 PM, Alflives said:

To play just one game in the NHL would be the dream of any young hockey playing boy.  Does it matter in which city that dream is fulfilled?  

Once your established and hit Ufa you will want to play in the best city where you can make the most money.  

I dunno .  Go ask Lindros 

On 9/24/2019 at 2:25 PM, ktcy2 said:

I honestly don’t see how our city can compare with the likes of NY, Chicago, LA, Toronto etc ........

so as a city guy for me it’s NY

On 9/24/2019 at 7:15 PM, Lancaster said:

If I was an NHLer... I'd choose NYC.  I hate the Rangers, but NYC is pretty much one of a handful of A+ cities in the world.  Vancouver is pretty much like a B city in comparison.

MSG is filled every night, you have passionate fans, and you still have the anonymity to go grocery shopping, drop your kids to school, and just grabbing a cup of coffee without being hassled by fans.  As an NHL player, you're pretty much a small fry in terms of celebrities and the ultra-wealthy.  

You're assuming that everyone loves the things that NYC offers.  What about a guy from say... small town Sweden who enjoys quiet, fresh air, etc.?

A+ city or B city in terms of what...that's the key in all of this?  Each player will have their own ideas of "best/worst" and they differ.

Super densely populated comes with anonymity but also, perhaps, a sense of crowded/rat race.   Plus, that President...that's an issue as a huge divide is happening and he's creating a climate of instability, at least in terms of overall safety (with shootings happening all too frequently).  Us versus them in his own country, yet he panders to less than desirable "friend" requests from abroad.  So there's all that to consider while drinking that coffee.

Our city does compare as it offers all the big city living amenities but the option to slip out the back door to ski hills, beaches, and small town feel if desired.  Speaks volumes that many who play here stay here.  Or come back here, even if not their birthplace or original hometown.

Based on the fact that players are individuals, there is no "right answer" in this.  But I wouldn't set the bar and say Vancouver falls short because what it lacks in some areas it definitely has an advantage in in others.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You're assuming that everyone loves the things that NYC offers.  What about a guy from say... small town Sweden who enjoys quiet, fresh air, etc.?

A+ city or B city in terms of what...that's the key in all of this?  Each player will have their own ideas of "best/worst" and they differ.

Super densely populated comes with anonymity but also, perhaps, a sense of crowded/rat race.   Plus, that President...that's an issue as a huge divide is happening and he's creating a climate of instability, at least in terms of overall safety (with shootings happening all too frequently).  Us versus them in his own country, yet he panders to less than desirable "friend" requests from abroad.  So there's all that to consider while drinking that coffee.

Our city does compare as it offers all the big city living amenities but the option to slip out the back door to ski hills, beaches, and small town feel if desired.  Speaks volumes that many who play here stay here.  Or come back here, even if not their birthplace or original hometown.

Based on the fact that players are individuals, there is no "right answer" in this.  But I wouldn't set the bar and say Vancouver falls short because what it lacks in some areas it definitely has an advantage in in others.  

Hence I said, "If I was an NHLer".

Vancouver isn't a A+ city in the world, it's just a fact.  Doesn't mean it's a bad city.  It has its charms as a quint, relaxing, middle-sized city with a small town vibe to it.  

Playland doesn't compare to Disneyland... but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy going to Playland every summer.

A Toyota Camry is not a BMW... but it's still a very good car.

Being hometown bias I would pick Vancouver.

But my main choice would be Nashville. Loved the city and people when I have visited, building is awesome, the team has passionate fans. My 2nd choice would be Carolina solely based on the atmosphere, city and coach.