The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Sept 21st waiver wire

Ossi Vaananen

There's a few recognizable names on that list.  Over the next 2 ish weeks we're going to see some actual shocking names released or sent down.  The NHL's middle class is effectively disappearing and former 30-40 point players in their 20s will be unemployed

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Also sent down by van but do not require waivers.

I'm surprised we didn't offer Ferraro a two way deal and ship him to Utica. He could have been a good depth option.

I'd say yes to Ferraro in Utica but I don't think a two way deal is necessary at this point.  If you needed to bring him up you can always sign a contract at that time.

I'm sure at this point Ferraro would like to see if there is a two way deal out there.  Maybe he'll settle for a minor league deal in a little bit of time.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I'd say yes to Ferraro in Utica but I don't think a two way deal is necessary at this point.  If you needed to bring him up you can always sign a contract at that time.

I'm sure at this point Ferraro would like to see if there is a two way deal out there.  Maybe he'll settle for a minor league deal in a little bit of time.

He was looking for an NHL two way deal from the sounds of it. We tend to give them out like Candy I thought Ferraro would be a good candidate lol.

We have kids to play in Utica tho so I'm not overly upset over it. Jasek looks like he's ready for more responsibility.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Also sent down by van but do not require waivers.

I'm surprised we didn't offer Ferraro a two way deal and ship him to Utica. He could have been a good depth option.

AHL teams can only have a limited amount of veterans on their 23 man active roster. As it stands, Utica has Bachman, Blujus, Bailey, Boucher, and Graovac as "veteran" status. So I don't believe Ferraro would be eligible to play in Utica. I could be wrong.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Baer. said:

AHL teams can only have a limited amount of veterans on their 23 man active roster. As it stands, Utica has Bachman, Blujus, Bailey, Boucher, and Graovac as "veteran" status. So I don't believe Ferraro would be eligible to play in Utica. I could be wrong.

They can have as many as they want but only 5 with more than 320 pro-games can dress each time.  They can have one more with 260-319 pro-games.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

For the first time ever, Vancouver has more legitimate prospects in the AHL than ever. In a typical year, Ferraro would easily have earned a minor league contract, but there is simply no space in Utica. They already have too many guys fighting for jobs and a few of them will end up in Kalamazoo. I like Ferraro and am hopeful he lands a job somewhere as I believe he could well be a fringe NHLer who can give you a solid 8-10 minutes a night in a defensive role. Kudos to the Canucks for giving him a shot at attracting interest from other teams.

• Upvote 1

Graovac is the most interesting non-cut to me.  He's playing tonight too.  If they kept him or Gaudette, who's played in every game so far, they'd likely have to get rid of one of the centres above them.  Makes me wonder if they might have a trade in place for Sutter, depending on whether they think one of the younger centres can take on a full-time role.  They're certainly giving the young centres every opportunity to stick, even though they seem to have a glut of forwards already.

1 hour ago, mll said:

They can have as many as they want but only 5 with more than 320 pro-games can dress each time.  They can have one more with 260-319 pro-games.

Ferraro has over 320 pro games.  With such a small amount of salary remaining on the cap, I think the management will want to retain the $ just in case a decent trade or waiver player comes along.

• Upvote 1