The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disturbing Lack Of Under 21's In The Development System

ItTakesAnArmy

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I was listening tot he game on Center Ice and the commentators were saying the LA has the #2 ranked prospect pool in the league.

I was curious as to how this could happen as they have consistently finished ahead of the Canucks and picked later.

The Canucks have had 7 drafts with Benning and have less than half the prospects in the system that LA does.

At this time CapFriendly is showing only 8 Canuck draft picks out of 19 skaters and only one 18 or 19 year old on the Utica roster.

LA is showing more than 14 draft picks in the minors and 9 under 20, if under 21 is counted then there are 13 of those. That is quite a difference.

The other item is that there are a lot more undrafted players on the Canuck Utica roster and considering how poorly the Utica team did last year maybe that is one reason the team is suffering, a lower quality of skill in the system.

Take away Woo, DiPietro and Gaudette and there is nothing really standing out, at least not a draft pick.

Maybe that is another reason for poor performance, all these prospects are being taught different systems. It is when a player acts instead of thinking he starts performing better and this comes from playing the same way over and over again.

Why are there not more draft picks in the system?

lol you and your anti -benning  posts , every month you start crying about prospects in Utica  , and every month someone has to tell you prospect are just not in Utica ,  we have had 6 drafts with benning not 7 , you need to get your facts right . btw most of our prospects are on the team , not in the system   , you really need a new anti benning angle because the prospect one isn't fooling anyone 

• Upvote 3

Depends on who's doing the list.  This is Pronman's...

In terms of tiers, I have the Rangers and Avs on a tier together, the Devils through the Flyers is a tier, the Hurricanes through the Red Wings is a tier, and the Ducks through the Lightning is a tier, with the remaining teams in their own tier.

And now for the rankings:

1. New York Rangers

2. Colorado Avalanche

3. New Jersey Devils

4. Los Angeles Kings

5. Vancouver Canucks

6. Montreal Canadiens

7. Philadelphia Flyers

8. Carolina Hurricanes

9. Edmonton Oilers

10. Chicago Blackhawks

11. Vegas Golden Knights

12. Ottawa Senators

13. Detroit Red Wings

14. Anaheim Ducks

15. Florida Panthers

16. New York Islanders

17. Arizona Coyotes

18. Buffalo Sabres

19. St. Louis Blues

20. San Jose Sharks

21. Toronto Maple Leafs

22. Minnesota Wild

23. Tampa Bay Lightning

24. Dallas Stars

25. Columbus Blue Jackets

26. Nashville Predators

27. Winnipeg Jets

28. Pittsburgh Penguins

29. Boston Bruins

30. Washington Capitals

31. Calgary Flames

https://theathletic.com/1125088/2019/09/05/pronman-2019-20-nhl-farm-system-rankings/

Nothing 'disturbing' here, especially when you consider the young players currently playing on the big club.

• Upvote 2

Lets not forget that our Canucks have had some unprecedented four years in a row on going the wrong way at the B.S. LOTTO DRAFT,where as some teams on the edge of the playoffs have been extremely lucky,the NJ Devils comes to mind along with others I'm sure.

So if we can get a bit of luck at said B.S. LOTTO DRAFT our top end talent will increase and the rebuild will have a much better chance of coming to an end.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I was listening tot he game on Center Ice and the commentators were saying the LA has the #2 ranked prospect pool in the league.

I was curious as to how this could happen as they have consistently finished ahead of the Canucks and picked later.

The Canucks have had 7 drafts with Benning and have less than half the prospects in the system that LA does.

At this time CapFriendly is showing only 8 Canuck draft picks out of 19 skaters and only one 18 or 19 year old on the Utica roster.

LA is showing more than 14 draft picks in the minors and 9 under 20, if under 21 is counted then there are 13 of those. That is quite a difference.

The other item is that there are a lot more undrafted players on the Canuck Utica roster and considering how poorly the Utica team did last year maybe that is one reason the team is suffering, a lower quality of skill in the system.

Take away Woo, DiPietro and Gaudette and there is nothing really standing out, at least not a draft pick.

Maybe that is another reason for poor performance, all these prospects are being taught different systems. It is when a player acts instead of thinking he starts performing better and this comes from playing the same way over and over again.

Why are there not more draft picks in the system?

Who did LA graduate last year. Expect to be as good as this : Pettersson or Hughes or Boeser calibre freshman.

The LA pool is ''deep'' because guys we passed on, like Gabe Vilardi, are still prospects. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Lol no way I would trade our U21 players for theirs.

We have the reigning Calder winner and a player who a lot of analysts think could challenge for this years Calder.

Not to mention highly touted prospects playing in the SHL, KHL, NCAA, and finish league.

If this was an attempt to troll it was pretty weak.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, xereau said:

Benning's changing the meta, in spreading out from where the team gains assets.

Who is to say that drafting 18 year olds, with both bodies and minds which are not even close to finished developing, is the best way?

A mix of sources, seems a far better plan to me, from the outside looking in.

Benning has focussed on signing older and more mature players who can jump into a new core, fabricated from the draft, btw.

And this makes it appear we have fewer prospects, if you put an age cap on it.

This is a biased analysis, for the purpose of smearing. Nice try, though.

Yup sounds like Benning bashing. I like the idea of the college signings Benning has done, more mature physically and ready for NHL competition. With the NHL cap system the way it is now I think it can benifit us to have more rookies from the college league to fit in quicker then players drafted out of Jr where you have to wait to develope them 3-4 yrs sometimes obviously with exceptions.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just a reminder that the LA Kings 2017 first rd pick, Gabriel Vilardi, is still "in their system". Our 2017 1st rd pick, Elias Pettersson, is the reigning Calder winner.

Make of that what you will.

Vilardi is kind of looking like a bustaroo.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Vilardi is kind of looking like a bustaroo.

I think he'll be a fine player.

The point is that most of our high end prospects have already graduated, or are playing elsewear. The idea that there's a "disturbing lack of under 21s" in our system is laughable, considering that most CHL players arent eligible for the AHL until they're around 20, and most of our high European/Russian prospects are in better leagues than the AHL anyways. And then there's college players as well, who normally stay in college for a few years after being drafted.

This thread is incredibly disingenuous. 

• Upvote 2