The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disturbing Lack Of Under 21's In The Development System

ItTakesAnArmy

On September 23, 2019 at 12:29 PM, BPA said:

To be fair:

Canucks traded 1st overall to ATL (selected Patrik Stefan) for the 2nd overall pick (selected Daniel Sedin) and a conditional pick.  But that was back in 1999.

:)

13 hours ago, the grinder said:

no we didn't the canucks had the third pick oa    atl was number one oa

13 hours ago, BPA said:

Um.  Check your facts please.  I sure did before posting.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/2775878/how-brian-burkes-dealmaking-brought-the-sedins-to-the-vancouver-canucks/amp/

The Canucks made a final deal to ensure they could call up the Sedins to the stage at the same time. They sent the first overall pick to the Atlanta Thrashers, who promised to select Patrik Stefan, leaving the Canucks to pick Daniel and Henrik with the second and third picks.

11 hours ago, the grinder said:

well we still were 3rd overall . we traded for first overall   , so check your facts  

Hey @the grinder, he gave you a quote and a link that confirms precisely what he said. Unlike you, he has checked his facts. Moving the goalposts isn't going to change that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Hey @the grinder, he gave you a quote and a link that confirms precisely what he said. Unlike you, he has checked his facts. Moving the goalposts isn't going to change that.

hey yourself   I said  we were 3rd overall not first overall  we traded up to first  ,  

13 hours ago, BPA said:

Yes you are correct, we did have 3rd OVA.

All I posted was that we traded the 1st OVA to ATL for the 2nd OVA. 

I never stated that we won the lottery and was originally granted the 1st OVA.

so there ya go lumme    are you happy now   ?     where did I move any goal posts ?  

On 9/23/2019 at 10:35 AM, Alflives said:

And Matthews is a UFA at the end of his contract.  Marner's contract is crazy too.  Oh and so is Tavares'.  And Nylander's is bad.  Can a team win the Cup with such a top heavy cap?  

Dubas is alone in handing out high salary long term contracts.  I feel he has closed the Leafs window after this year as they will have little to no money to sign a solid D core.  They need 5 D, a backup goalie and 3 forwards for 20-25 Million and have a pretty barren prospect pool outside of Sandin.  Good luck.  This year is huge for them to get it done, because depth on that squad will be dismal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/23/2019 at 2:30 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think this has already been mentioned but considering junior players can't play regularly in the AHL until they're 20-years old, I would think most organizations don't have a ton of under 21-year olds immediately available to play for the NHL clubs on call-ups from the AHL.

Factor in internationals and college players and this seems like a non-issue, no?

You forgot to factor in a Calder mention, Calder win and Calder-hopeful within the past couple of years...all those guys could be in our development system!

Disturbing!

Edited by nzan
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BCNate said:

Dubas is alone in handing out high salary long term contracts.  I feel he has closed the Leafs window after this year as they will have little to no money to sign a solid D core.  They need 5 D, a backup goalie and 3 forwards for 20-25 Million and have a pretty barren prospect pool outside of Sandin.  Good luck.  This year is huge for them to get it done, because depth on that squad will be dismal.

I don't think they do it they don't have the depth.  I would have said they will be packing hat in hand again in the first round but Matthews will be holding something else in his hands.  They are in huge cap trouble after this year and only have 1 D signed for next year.