The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Who stays and who goes?

On 650 AM they were talking about 5 Canucks that are apparently on the market.  

Ericksson

Schaller

Baertchi

Goldobin

Virtanen

Baertchi is the only one that surprises me.

Ericksson and Schaller are untradeable.

Also the timing of trading Virtanen, Goldy or Baertchi is not good as other teams are trimming their rosters.

I think the most likely is Goldy being traded for another teams prospect that also requires waivers to be sent down.  I’m not sure who the candidates may be?

Goldy is not making the roster based on his preseason so you lose him on waivers or try a trade.

There is no need to trade Virtanen or Baertchi as they provide scoring depth.  Neither of them have reached their full potential yet.

I would send down Schaller for sure.

Unfortunately Gaudette is probably going down because of Ericksson.

Thoughts?

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LE and Schaller to Utica.

JV for Risto.

Goldy is taken off waivers 

Baer is on our third line

Gaud is in Utica

They have Baer on the trade market because they don't think Baer can play 3rd line.

Green criticised Calgary for not having him on a skilled line so it's well possible that they don't see a role for him.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

I don't think Baertschi should be moved. Green was talking about running 3 scoring lines and Baertschi could be a big part of that as a skilled playmaking winger. We might not reach that point this season, but I would imagine we would get there when Gaudette is brought up. He's also very versatile as he can play well with Horvat or Pettersson effectively. In addition, he's also an example of a player who changed his game to be effective in the NHL by increasing his intensity level, which is a good thing to have around our younger players. Not to mention he's Horvat's best friend. 

I've been thinking about a Goldobin for Puljujarvi trade since last season. Maybe add in a mid to late pick on our end to get it done. But right now, Puljujarvi isn't doing anything for that organization and I don't think his value will suddenly skyrocket at any point. 

I also think Leivo should be added to the list of players who could potentially be moved. I'd rather have any of Miller, Ferland, Boeser, Baertschi or Goldobin playing in the top 6 and I think we have other players that are better suited to a bottom 6 role. Maybe he could be a part of the that offensive 3rd line I talked about earlier, but I think he's more replaceable than some of the other players. 

LE, Schaller and Motte waived. Leaning toward Goldy rather than Motte.... Goldy is 22 years old and has potential....just frustrating to see him think then move, rather than thinking and moving at the same time (when the other team has the puck). Because of this, it looks like he is always waiting and coasting out there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No way Buffalo trades Risto for JV. 

We don't have cap space and they wouldn't take Eriksson or Sutter included.  

Gaud will not go to Utica. They'll send Motte down before him. 

Hitting the scotch early Alf? 

I think Gaud goes down. It will take 10 games max for Baer or Sutter to be hurt.

Insert Gaud. And he never goes back.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

LE and Schaller both have negative value due to their contracts. If Baer is on the market, it's because we have a glut of middle six wingers, not because he's under-performing. I'd be gutted to see him go, but I'd understand the rationale. Goldy and Virtanen would return less and with Jake in particular, I'd be really hesitant to pass on him yet since he has been steadily improving year over year so far.

• Like 1

Send Loui and Schaller to Utica as soon as possible , and probably Gaudette too unless a trade is worked out before opening night.

I still say no way to trading Jake but if any of Baer/Goldy/Leivo/Pearson/Sutter could get a good return I'd do it.

Baer to Edmonton for Pooly + is a trade that makes sense to me.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

On 650 AM they were talking about 5 Canucks that are apparently on the market.  

Ericksson

Schaller

Baertchi

Goldobin

Virtanen

Baertchi is the only one that surprises me.

Ericksson and Schaller are untradeable.

Also the timing of trading Virtanen, Goldy or Baertchi is not good as other teams are trimming their rosters.

I think the most likely is Goldy being traded for another teams prospect that also requires waivers to be sent down.  I’m not sure who the candidates may be?

Goldy is not making the roster based on his preseason so you lose him on waivers or try a trade.

There is no need to trade Virtanen or Baertchi as they provide scoring depth.  Neither of them have reached their full potential yet.

I would send down Schaller for sure.

Unfortunately Gaudette is probably going down because of Ericksson.

Thoughts?

This is simply the fact that the team is "trimming the fat" and these players are nearing their last chances at becoming regular NHLers. For Goldy and Virt, surprisingly they are in their 5th seasons in the NHL. With the new found depth, these fringe players can longer just say they are "developing" still, and Baert is going into his 9th season in the NHL!

Sooner or later it will be time to "put up or shut up". Virt has got to play like a big guy, otherwise he is of no use.

The top 6 looks pretty much set and the bottom 6 is quickly getting filled. Management has said that training camp was going to be for guys fighting for jobs as it should be, the cream rises to the top.

I haven't seen too much urgency or intensity out of these players at training camp so maybe they just thought their jobs were safe. With guys like Gaudette, slowly creeping their way into the line up, some of these guys become expendable and replaceable at a cheaper cost.

• Upvote 1

Based on this apparent list, we should only be looking at trading Eriksson and Schaller. We need the young, competitive, energized nature from Baer, Goldy, and Virt. They've all shown signs of improvement. Also I don't know how I feel about Baer being on there. Him and Bo have great chemistry. They seem to always produce when together.

Let's see how the new fellas perform during the season before making any major decisions with the young guns. 

I think this is management's way of motivating the kids. (It worked for the Blues)

12 minutes ago, 6string said:

Media and their "who's on the market" fantasies.

Their forecasts are equivelant to Bill Clinton's monogamous relationship with Hillary.

anyone can pull 5 names off the canucks for a trade and benning is always looking at improving the team , gaudette is going to Utica  ,schaller  waivers , and ericsson is the wildcard in it all ,  do we keep him or do we send him to Utica or is JV/baer the sweetner in a loui trade . only benning knows

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, the grinder said:

anyone can pull 5 names off the canucks for a trade and benning is always looking at improving the team , gaudette is going to Utica  ,schaller  waivers , and ericsson is the wildcard in it all ,  do we keep him or do we send him to Utica or is JV/baer the sweetner in a loui trade . only benning knows

We can throw a lot of names into that mix including Biega, Stecher or Levo too.