The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will You Marry Me?

Maginator

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Believe it or not this is my wheelhouse 

Buy her the engagement ring.  But seriously do it on the sly.  You can actually have her pick her own ring out if you're sneaky about it.  With my wife we were walking through a mall one day and I said "oh I need to stop and see about one of those charm bracelet gifts for my nieces birthday" and while we were there she of course was looking at things.  A day later I went back on my own and got that ring that she had essentially hand picked.  I proposed 10 months later.

The wedding bands should be a partnered choice.  These are the tokens of love you both agree to wear for each other for life.  After the engagement is settled you deal with those.  Alternatively you can allow her to pick yours and you hers but that can be an issue especially with sizing.  Speaking of which, ensure you get her engagement band size while she's trying ti on.  You can even call the jewelry store in advance to ensure you get them to record her size.

When you propose.  try NOT to do it in a cliche manner where it is obvious.  This will be one of the most shockingly happy surprises of her life.  Avoid any showy things like doing it in front of her parents during an obvious visit, in a restaurant.  try to be sneaky do it on a random walk somewhere that holds a fair amount of sentimental value.  Like a walk you always take or a place that you remember being very special to you both but not in a way she would be completely alert to.  

Finally if you REALLY want to shine her on.  Hire a photographer to capture the actual engagement.  I do these; hiring for surprise engagements.  At no point in time over the 3+ dozen I've captured has it ever not been incredibly welcome as they make for amazing save the date cards and place settings on your tables during the reception.  If you do this ensure you met with your photographer in advance so they know the who the when and the where for you 

Finally; and this is important.  When you actually plan your wedding.  Do your best to ensure you're present for everything in the planning phase and keep your guest numbers essential.  Planning can spiral out of control very very quickly and this day belongs to you two, not siblings or families.

Congrats and good luck

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Maginator said:

Hi all,

I dont use reddit or any other forum - so this is where I will ask!

I'm wanting to propose to my girlfriend of 2+ years. However, I'm not sure about the protocol on rings.

Obviously I will propose with a ring, but...

Should I also purchase a ring for myself?

Do I propose with a ring, then we go and find 2 more rings (for he & she)? Is the proposal ring only for that - a proposal?

Cheers!

GCG!

Does not really matter much. The ring and how its presented can maker her feel special. As long as she says yes! Feels special with you regardless. That's what is important. 

Hope you have yourself a great girl. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I didn't realize people still got married....

Seems kind of expensive process......  especially with current divorce rates...  currently in Canada 38% of marriages end in the big D. 

Is there a tax incentive  or does it help with benefits through my work plan.....

• Haha 1

There are no rules except what works for you and your partner.

My ex bought a gorgeous set...the engagement ring and wedding ring fit together so he had both at the point of engagement.   Many rings come in a set like that because they're crafted to fit/go together.

So matching rings wasn't an option, except to go after the fact in order to get his done.  He didn't want a ring - that should have been my first clue to where things would end up.

I had a coworker who really came up with a great way to propose.  

He'd put the ring in the back of an old, framed picture of the two of them that was quite outdated.  He told her that he had a new picture and asked if she'd remove the other one so he could put it in.  He had his camera there, handy, and as she removed the back of the picture to see the ring, he snapped "the new picture" for the frame.  It was so cute...the picture was her surprise at finding a ring...he then asked her to marry him.   I thought it was brilliant....simple/no fuss, but brilliant.  And he caught the moment in time for her forever.  <3

Congratulations and all the best in the future!  What an exciting time for you.

I have no regrets about getting married...as a matter of fact, we never divorced and are the best of friends.  It's complicated.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Be practical....   go the pull tab route...   and drink the box after with her.....

I would suggest Lucky....   it will sound kinda sentimental and that may help her with her decision.....

img_47_300x300.jpg?v=1480084883

:goat:  Newtons law... :wub:

Spoons also involved in the courtship? 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Seems kind of expensive process......  especially with current divorce rates...  currently in Canada 38% of marriages end in the big D. 

Is there a tax incentive  or does it help with benefits through my work plan.....

Much like myself, some people do still believe in traditions. It's sad to me that people scoff at them instead.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Cynical AF.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Cynical AF.

100 % true.  Life can do that to you.   The wedding industry does a great job persuading people to spend money they don't have on a big costume  party.....

Edited by kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

100 % true.  Life can do that to you.   The wedding industry does a great job persuading people to spend money they don't have on a big costume  party.....

Sure if you buy in to the massive wedding in which case most likely the money is there.

or you can get married on a beach in front of 11 people.::D

Haha I know someone that had their ring put aside without their boyfriend knowing. She told him about it and practically forced him into “proposing to her”. He finally agreed when she said she would let him paint a confederate flag on his truck if they got engaged. Worst part is I am not making this up. Let’s just say it didn’t last too long. 

11 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Sure if you buy in to the massive wedding in which case most likely the money is there.

or you can get married on a beach in front of 11 people.::D

Yah but too many young people nowdays are brainwashed through social media...... to spend more than they can afford....

Average CDN wedding is approx 10,000 . with of course many spending much much more.

I think the order for a young couple should be buy real estate first.... 

• Upvote 2