The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning re-sign Brayden Point

2 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Mitch Marner gets almost 12 million a year. He is getting paid like he won the Stanley Cup. Leafs haven’t won a playoff round yet.

No kidding right? that's crazy, i'm not sure how the Leafs are going to build their defense. How much money is committed to their big three? 

I guess maybe that'll be the Canucks eventually right? We will have to pay EP, and Boeser and Hughes and even Bo's going to want a raise eventually. 

7 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Oh, okay, I guess this was me:

6fa18950d5a2f8c3ad0aedeb9f.png

That's ok, it was only low, Monday morning grade humour. Not my best work :lol:

Just thought it funny how everyone was posting how it was an 'ABSOLUTE STEAL!'. It's a solid bridge deal (particularly when you factor in the tax issue). He's not working for near-free :lol: And a lot of people here can't seem to grasp the difference between a 3 year bridge deal and a longer 6-8 year deal or how that affects cap hits.

• Cheers 1

Not that I am sticking up for Dubas but Marner is clearly the better player and he signed for 6 years not 3, so Dubas bought 2 years of free agency.  Point's next contract is going to be a minimum of $9 million per and could be a lot higher.  In fact after taxes it could be higher than Marner's contract.  So although Dubas did overpay for Marner that contract won't look as bad 3 years from now when the new TV deal kicks in, the new CBA kicks in , the money comes in from the expansion draft and all these guys are up for re-negotiation.

The only downside with Marner is that he can walk in 6 years versus all these other guys can sign long term deals and stay with their clubs for a longer period.  But given the fact that Matthews is unrestricted the year prior to Marner and will probably walk, the Leafs should have enough money kicking around to keep their hometown boy.  The real mistake of Dubas was signing Matthews to that 5 year deal at almost the same salary as McDavid.  The Nylander contract is actually better than the Matthews contract.  As well Dubas did well with Kapanen, Kerfoot and Johnsson.  I like the Tavares contract as well as he's a Leaf until he is 34.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Just now, EmilyM said:

Now it all makes sense. Dubas is hard-wired to get his players the most money possible.

The Mole.  Maybe he is actually being paid to negotiate on behalf of his clients from inside the Kremlin as an undercover double agent. 

• Haha 1