The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captain Bo?

Rate this topic

Jaimito

22 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Love Bo as a choice, but EP, though young, is already a challenger.

In another year, I don’t think it will be a question of who is the team’s leader, if it’s not already apparent. The 50-year party and the fans desire to finally have a captain on this team are likely why a decision would be made this year. 

I’m not in the room, but I think it’s a tough call not to wait on EP to give the 50-year season a captain.

It won’t be a mistake, not at all. Bo is awesome. I just think EP is naturally the team’s heart. 

The best players are not always the best leaders for the team. I would rather see EP concentrate on scoring, getting stronger and just playing hockey.

Bo is the leader in how he plays the game as well as the things he does off the ice. His work ethic is second to none which rubs off on other players.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The best players are not always the best leaders for the team. I would rather see EP concentrate on scoring, getting stronger and just playing hockey.

Bo is the leader in how he plays the game as well as the things he does off the ice. His work ethic is second to none which rubs off on other players.

Tell me how Bo is a better leader on the ice than young EP. 

Theres nothing in your comments that you can’t imply for EP as well, only that he’s younger and unseasoned, which is coming and fast. 

• Wat 2

On 9/26/2019 at 4:11 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Tell me how Bo is a better leader on the ice than young EP. 

Theres nothing in your comments that you can’t imply for EP as well, only that he’s younger and unseasoned, which is coming and fast. 

He plays both ends of the ice, took more face offs (with a good winning percentage) than anyone. Can be relied on in any and all situations. Can and does physically look after himself on the ice. I’m not knocking Petey, but Bo is a leader in many categories. Petey is the most skilled player and scores the most points. Bo has been a leader from the first day on this team, players like Brock and Elias clearly look up to him. It’s a one horse race in my opinion. Most points does not equal best fit for Captain 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Amebushi said:

He plays both ends of the ice, took more face offs (with a good winning percentage) than anyone. Can be relied on in any and all situations. Can and does physically look after himself on the ice. I’m not knocking Petey, but Bo is a leader in many categories. Petey is the most skilled player and scores the most points. Bo has been a leader from the first day on this team, players like Brock and Elias clearly look up to him. It’s a one horse race in my opinion. Most points does not equal best fit for Captain 

Yes, lots of yes.

EP will likely be all of that in another year too, plus the super star stuff to boot.

I noticed the Canucks’ body language suggest EP is a leader. Bo is the elder statesman for sure, but EP is everything Bo was that age, and more, IMO, minus the PK, but that’s partly due to eating his skill as mean as it has been because of his 165lb kid body. 

Give him a year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes, lots of yes.

EP will likely be all of that in another year too, plus the super star stuff to boot.

I noticed the Canucks’ body language suggest EP is a leader. Bo is the elder statesman for sure, but EP is everything Bo was that age, and more, IMO, minus the PK, but that’s partly due to eating his skill as mean as it has been because of his 165lb kid body. 

Give him a year. 

Soon he will be 189lbs of muscle and senew just like the great one himself.  As long as this guy is protected (huge clap to GMJB for signing Ferland - seems he gets it too) EP has the tools and the will to become the greatest Canuck ever.   I truly believe that (and doubled down by picking him in a hockey pool) - nobody scores ten goals in ten games to start his career hasn’t turned into a blazing super-star.   Is he going to be a Captain? Maybe at some point.   Personally if JB and TG pulled the rug from under us and named him the next C I wouldn’t be at all disappointed.  And I love Horvat and it’s a slam dunk he’s the guy.  That’s how special he is - and I’ve said a few things about two Swedish C’s in a row that maybe I’m not too proud off.   Make it three and I wouldn’t at all be upset.   This kid is extremely special - the type of guy that only comes along every few decades.  He’s like Lafleur was back in his hey-day - because he’s self taught - Gretzky too.   Those guys break the mould and do extraordinary things.   

At the end of the day I’m also stoked it will be Horvat - and glad they waited.  He’s going to help the next wave come in .... and do things that will end up putting himself in the rafters. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/29/2019 at 6:31 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes, lots of yes.

Give him a year. 

Disagree with you. Horvat took 2000+ face offs last year, won more than he lost, scored one less goal than Petterson despite having to take all of the Defensive draws. We already had a budding superstar on the team in Bo.It just isn't all about goals to be the captain. I love what Petterson brings to the team but he is still Kane to Toews. Bure to Linden,Tkachuck to Giordano.

Great teams have more than one great leader, they cant all be Captain.

31 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Disagree with you. Horvat took 2000+ face offs last year, won more than he lost, scored one less goal than Petterson despite having to take all of the Defensive draws. We already had a budding superstar on the team in Bo.It just isn't all about goals to be the captain. I love what Petterson brings to the team but he is still Kane to Toews. Bure to Linden,Tkachuck to Giordano.

Great teams have more than one great leader, they cant all be Captain.

Meh... deployment and age. We can agree to disagree.

Horvat, sorry, not a super star - barely a star, is his ceiling, one which is already here. He’s a 200’ 30-30 guy, but not a captain clutch Toews.

I disagree about EP’s trajectory.

He is the next Sundin, a captain, maybe instead a Crosby- a kid captain, which was a choice made for good reason. He’s no second fiddle leader, IMO. 

Horvat will be named captain for a sexy 50th. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Meh... deployment and age. We can agree to disagree.

Horvat, sorry, not a super star - barely a star, is his ceiling, one which is already here. He’s a 200’ 30-30 guy, but not a captain clutch Toews.

I disagree about EP’s trajectory.

He is the next Sundin, a captain, maybe instead a Crosby- a kid captain, which was a choice made for good reason. He’s no second fiddle leader, IMO. 

Horvat will be named captain for a sexy 50th. 

Agree we disagree. Lol.