The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser & Fantenberg are both in concussion protocol,

Rate this topic

alt kilgore

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

JB was not enforcer management guy for Boston, it was ChiaPet. we saw that when he signed Lucic, Gryba, traded for Larsson and Kassian.

We will never be a physical team, kind of sad, I love watching that kind of hockey and you need a decent element of team toughness come playoffs

JB acquired heavy players the past two seasons though tbf. It's now up to Green to decide if he will play a heavy game like Bos/Stl.

we've got guys like Miller, Bo, Ferland, Roussel, JV, Beagle, Benn, Myers and Sutter who are all big dudes who can play heavy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

And here I had hopes the Nucks would no longer be soft. But alas. they appear to keep bending over in the name of Ws. Players can address this immediately despite the coach, if they rally together. Green will always need to take the high road to avoid liability and players can't get away with the Burt, next game thing.

The accumulative effect that this lack of response could have is very distressing as well. While this is all theoretical, a situation where EP is targeted yet again because of the lack of response the first time it happened is certainly within the realm of possibility. Say it's another concussion. We all know how concussion issues can snowball and become a lot worse the more often these head injuries keep occuring. It's well within the realm of possibility that either Boeser or Petey have their heads targeted once again, and if it happens again, there's every chance in the world that it snowballs into something a lot worse, and we end up with a Lindros type situation. How many points will it cost us if one of our two star forwards faces these issues for their entire careers? And, more importantly, how will it affect their day-to-day lives? Not only could our entire rebuild be shot in the foot because of this lack of response, but the lives of these kids could be affected in pretty severe ways all because we were more concerned with a potential powerplay than we were with instilling a culture of accountability. 

This obviously isn't to say that something like this will happen....chances are it won't, but to ignore the fact that these types of injuries can snowball into something much worse is foolish. The line has to be drawn here, before things can get any worse. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be fine with giving Crow another shot.  You know damn well he wouldn't put up with no pushback.

Point I was trying to make is the lack of pushback has been happening even before Green came. Maybe it has to do with the coach, maybe it's the players maybe management maybe owners but one way or another who really knows. But here's hoping to speedy recovery to both. 

28 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nothing can be know for sure. It's all speculative. That being said, Green is a common denominator in all of this. Every time EP was targeted last season, and now with Boeser. We have a pretty different lineup then we did last year, and yet the 'response' was exactly the same. The fact that Green completely undersold how dirty the hit was by calling it a "hockey play" doesn't exactly breed confidence either.

Sounds to me that you're only upset cause it's Boeser.  No mention about the more egregious incident with Fantenberg.  If Brock wasn't hurt would you still be feeling this way?  He called it a hockey play because these things happen in hockey.  If Boeser wasn't in the position he was, this wouldn't have happened.  Unfortunately he was in that spot and got hit.  Do i like the hit?  No, it was dangerous, but hits like these happen.  I remember Myers cross checking a senator in the back and no call was made in the same game.  Are you calling for Myers to be retaliated on too?  The only reason these emotions are coming out is because he's in concussion protocol.  The spotters should have taken him out of the game (if there were any in preseason).  Maybe we wouldn't be talking about concussion protocol then either.  It's all a what if game unfortunately.

49 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

How do you know what Green says to his players?  Are you in the room?  How do you know he doesn't say one thing to the media and then says something else in the room so that he doesn't get fined.  We don't know what is said in that locker room, and we never will on something like that.

You're delusional if you think otherwise. HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS HAPPENED NOW? It's not the first fu*king time and it definitely isn't gonna be the last! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dombrova22 said:

You're delusional if you think otherwise. HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS HAPPENED NOW? It's not the first fu*king time and it definitely isn't gonna be the last! 

Until the league really starts putting in serious suspensions, these things will happen.  Blame the NHL DoPS.  This is not protecting it's players.  But if you think it's not going to happen to other teams, you're the delusional one who doesn't watch hockey.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Sounds to me that you're only upset cause it's Boeser.  No mention about the more egregious incident with Fantenberg.  If Brock wasn't hurt would you still be feeling this way?  He called it a hockey play because these things happen in hockey.  If Boeser wasn't in the position he was, this wouldn't have happened.  Unfortunately he was in that spot and got hit.  Do i like the hit?  No, it was dangerous, but hits like these happen.  I remember Myers cross checking a senator in the back and no call was made in the same game.  Are you calling for Myers to be retaliated on too?  The only reason these emotions are coming out is because he's in concussion protocol.  The spotters should have taken him out of the game (if there were any in preseason).  Maybe we wouldn't be talking about concussion protocol then either.  It's all a what if game unfortunately.

Same concern applies with Fantenberg but obviously a star being targeted is a significantly more serious situation.

The difference is the Canucks season is riding on a healthy Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat.

Just now, Viper007 said:

I actually didn't think the hit on Fantenberg was as bad. Hard, and the fact that two players went after him at the same time was overkill, but that actually seemed like a hockey hit. Pushing someone on the numbers into the boards isn't a "hockey play", and this blaming the victim schtick is the equivalent of blaming the girl that was walking down the dark alley at night in a short skirt for what happened to her.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Same concern applies with Fantenberg but obviously a star being targeted is a significantly more serious situation.

The difference is the Canucks season is riding on a healthy Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat.

My point is that he/she is more emotional cause it's Boeser, and not really because of the hit.  Or else the point about Fantenberg needing retaliation would be the one that should be asking for retribution.

10 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

There is a time and a place for retaliation.  Here's the drill:

-  Right after the hit, the Canucks players get in the hitters face and shove and push and facewash to let him know what he did was unacceptable... but unless he agrees to fight, it doesn't go past that... no thrown punches, no need to waste a man advantage by taking a penalty.

-  Next shift and every shift after when the guy is on the ice, every Canuck player should be looking to catch him with a solid check.  All checks on him are finished.

-  A some point, Canucks put MacEwen or someone like him who the Canucks don't mind having in the Penalty box on the ice and the player is challenged.  Even if he doesn't accept, he knows he is a marked man.  Every game he doesn't accept the challenge, he knows he will be facing it next game.

All these send a message to the player his actions were unacceptable and let other players around the league know these types of cheapshots have consequences.

I thought this was just called hockey.. I must be getting old.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I actually didn't think the hit on Fantenberg was as bad. Hard, and the fact that two players went after him at the same time was overkill, but that actually seemed like a hockey hit. Pushing someone on the numbers into the boards isn't a "hockey play", and this blaming the victim schtick is the equivalent of blaming the girl that was walking down the dark alley at night in a short skirt for what happened to her.

If Brock wasn't hurt would you be caring about it?? I don't think you would be.  Was it a dirty play?  Yes.  But it happens.  Until the DoPS starts suspending more harshly for these incidents, these hits will continue to happen.  The referees should have called this a 5 min. penalty in my mind, and suspended the guy.  

Also people need to use common sense, is a girl walking in a dark alley in the middle of a night a smart thing to do? I would say no.  Doesn't matter what she's wearing.  She shouldn't be walking down the dark alley in the first place.  It's again all about common sense.  Don't put yourself in a situation where things can happen.