The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

League oversight. Every year I get close to watching less.

Rate this topic

Disgruntler

50 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I am a huge fan of the Canucks and every time something happens to the players due to dirty hits, no penalty on the play, suspension, or even a fine didn't come when it's warranted, made me feel less motivation to watch a hockey game and simply find other things to do, resulting in a loss of revenue from me in term of tv ratings.   I am just one of many thousands who watch hockey every night and they might think that it's nothing but what will happen if the fans around lower mainland fed up and simply stopping watching?  It is at fault of the NHL for not doing enough to deter this dirty hits out of the game and rewarded them with no action.   I have stopped watched them before a few times years ago and it will not be the first time I would stop watching if they keep this up with lack of action by the league.    Maybe a regular season with penalty review might change things but if ref would do the opposite when a penalty warrants a major penalty but ref choose to reward them a minor penalty after a video review will do me in for a long time.  Hit from behind is one of my biggest pet peeve about the players who commit those things.   I'm not talking about a turn that led to this which is inevitable but a stationary and players still hit him anyways is one of my biggest pet peeve similar to Boeser hit from the other night in the preseason..

This is an interesting point. 

What if the next questionable hit resulting in an injury to a Canucks player (with zero response from the DoPS)  results in a fan based media blackout (protest). The TV ratings are observed by the NHL. 

This could be a decent way of dealing with the frustration, led by a local media outlet. 

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just curious, as I see people claiming they're going to stop watching the NHL over of the officiating all the time, does anyone know of somebody who's actually quite watching hockey because of the refs? 

I actually do. He wasn't even the biggest Canucks fan but he stopped watching NHL hockey all together after the Boston series. Said he just couldn't stomach a sport that was so clearly biased.

Some days I get it...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Don't know about stopping because of the refs, but I can say I've watched one 3 on 3 overtime and no shootouts since the league went to that format.

So 3x3 overtime and shootouts are more grievous to you than fickle (or biased) referee standards resulting in potential injury through liberties against our players?  What about when they took out the red line? It was changed to allow for more offence, and goals, the exact same reason for 3 on 3.  Every pro sport alters their rules as time goes on.  The alternative is that networks like NBC simply cut the feed at the top of the hour.

But besides that, even though you may not think its a fair or traditional way to end a game, how can anyone just turn off the TV when its a tie game involving their favourite team, and they've already invested 2 hours of their time into a game? That's the part I do not understand.  Do you also shut off a FIFA World Cup match too if it goes to a shootout?  You have a lot of self discipline.

Edited by kilgore

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

So 3x3 overtime and shootouts are more grievous to you than fickle (or biased) referee standards resulting in potential injury through liberties against our players?  What about when they took out the red line? It was changed to allow for more offence, and goals, the exact same reason for 3 on 3.  Every pro sport alters their rules as time goes on.

But besides that, even though you may not think its a fair or traditional way to end a game, how can anyone just turn off the TV when its a tie game involving their favourite team, and they've already invested 2 hours of their time into a game? That's the part I do not understand.  Do you also shut off a FIFA World Cup match too if it goes to a shootout?  You have a lot of self discipline.

Bad reffing sucks, and if it continues it may cause me to stop watching in the future.

I had no problem with a tie.

5 on 5 sudden death Ot for 5 minutes was ok to.

Reducing the players on the ice, then going to a skills competition to decide games is just bush league. Especially because they don't do it that way for play offs.

convert the play offs to the same format and perhaps I'd watch.

"You have a lot of self discipline"

Actually I usually pay to get disciplined, so not really "self" discipline. But perhaps I said too much.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

TBH I am more mad at the Canucks on the ice when BB got hit than the ref.'s.

Sorry but if Pavel Bure got ran from behind I am sure Linden would've got in his grill or even dropped the mitts or anyone else on the PP from that '94 team.  I am not asking for blood but a response of any kind would've better than a bunch of fans asking why is this team still gutless.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I have been a hockey fan for more years than I want to admit,lets just say my favorite player growing up was Jean Béliveau ,he had skill and was a real ambassador for the game.

Now you have dirty bags like a Mark Messier having leadership trophys in his name only because he was a NEW YORK RANGER.I would say a player like Mario Lemieux would be a much better choice.

I love this game and have seen it grow over the years and I am continuing to be a huge fan and hope that good solid hockey can be played without the thug stuff entering and when it does happen that should be when the refs step in and put the kibosh on the dirty plays.

Also a FAIR reffing and linesmen lineup so that every team has a chance to win American or Canadian teams alike,and "better" reffing in general wouldn't hurt either.

When the Olympics or World Cup of Hockey get rolling or even the Christmas Time Junior Tournament we once again see just how great this game can be.

The Canadian team to win the next STANLEY CUP and bring it back home for all of Canada and B.C. in particular are our Canucks,

so it is written so it shall be done.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just curious, as I see people claiming they're going to stop watching the NHL over of the officiating all the time, does anyone know of somebody who's actually quite watching hockey because of the refs? 

I've significantly reduced watching hockey and canceled season tickets. I feel 82 game seasons are too long and with Vancouver's travel, really hurts our chances that was my main reason. But officiating against us blows my mind as well, I truly believe this team is being hindered from previous era's like the Bertuzzi incident and Burrows's antics with Kesler going way overboard with comments. Refs take notice to that stuff and don't forget.. Listening to Kerry Fraser or Don Van Massenhoven about some of their incidents with players or just some refs stories that I've listened to on the team stripes podcast and others totally has opened my eyes to ref bias etc. Moral of the post is I barely watch hockey due to officiating..

On 9/25/2019 at 10:04 AM, HerrDrFunk said:

I laughed at it because of how true it is, but I actually stopped watching the playoffs (until the finals because I wanted to see Boston lose) after round 1 because of the horrendous officiating there. I'll always be back to watch the Canucks though. 

I do really feel that those who complain about Canucks reffing conspiracy and only the Canucks is kind of funny though. Yeah, they get the short end of the stick more often than not, but so do a lot of other teams. Edmonton is in the same boat as us. They get horrific officiating too and they also get the short end of the stick when it comes to most suspensions also. It's not just us. It's a lot of teams. 

On 9/24/2019 at 8:44 PM, Disgruntler said:

I'd say I'm not a homer. But everyone is to *some* degree, let's get that out of the way. But if every season I have to watch piecemeal teams try to make it happen while teammates (don't care what team) are on the mend for grievous injuries that could have been avoided through proper management, well.... there's always tennis. And conversing with friends. Either the NHL fixes this $&!#, and this year, or I just can't be much effed anymore. Greatest sport ever. But it's getting to 'why bother' point for me. 

Are you kidding?! No way! Its going to be better than ever with Bettman partnering the NHL with Greenday to create a new anthem and that's how we will inspire a new group of fans in the US. I think this is bang on for what this league needs right now. I mean following the model of the NFL with its ever increasing popularity year after year is the way to go! Don't at all try to sell the NHL on its own merits by creating transparency and consistency in the reffing, no way! These people want politics, not hits.. Well, I for one think this will be great!

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan

On 9/26/2019 at 11:52 AM, MikeyD said:

I do really feel that those who complain about Canucks reffing conspiracy and only the Canucks is kind of funny though. Yeah, they get the short end of the stick more often than not, but so do a lot of other teams. Edmonton is in the same boat as us. They get horrific officiating too and they also get the short end of the stick when it comes to most suspensions also. It's not just us. It's a lot of teams. 

Canadian teams in general. Ottawa vs Anaheim, same thing. Edm vs Carolina, one sided. Calgary vs Tamba, yep.. The only one I felt had a big chance was us and we blew it with shaky goaltending. We could have won both Boston games. After game 4, the reffing was one sided for nucks and boston.

Embarrassing thread.

weve been going through a rebuild and have been a soft team.

just because Travis green and John garrett have a stroke every time we get a penalty doesent mean themes a damn conspiracy.

also look

how manyy teams thought the refs were against them last year and

youll see almost everyone falls to this victim complex.

we have injury prone players.

even healthy were not a playoff team Those last few years know the record was close to 500 but that’s always at the beginning of the seasons take your homer glasses off, we weren’t a playoff team on paper the last few years but people Swore it was some huge conspiracy because they can’t take losing.

Im also a buffalo fan and they have talents like Eichel dahlin skinner Reinhart and I don’t hear their fans clamjng it’s a conspiracy. They were literally Screwed over in the final worse then any team

in history and still don’t.

true fans don’t pull this crap.