The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Virtanen for Puljiujarvi. Would you do it?

Is Pool Party an NHL player on a playoff team?  He has to stay on our team, but can he play well enough to do that?  Jake is clearly a proven bottom six player, and did that last season.  I would trade Gold for Pool Party, and then if Pool Party doesn't work out, we have not lost an NHL player, who can actually contribute to our roster - even if only a bottom six role.  

• Like 1

I've supported JV since he was drafted and haven't lost complete hope in him yet. However, based on the reports from training camp and how JV has played thus far, I make this trade with the Oilers.

Those who argue that JV is an NHL caliber player or that just because he wont amount to the hype of a top 10 pick he can still play in the bottom 6, etc should realize that bottom 6 players are expendable and replaceable. At least more so, than players with top 6 potential.

Others that argue that Pool party hasn't shown much. I'm almost certain they have similar ppp production. I also think that the lack of production from Poolparty has a lot to do with how he was handled in Edmonton and his deployment. Under the right system and with the right supporting cast, I think he has a better chance of becoming a 50-60 point player than Jake Virtanen does. He's also a big body and can develop into a potential power forward that we were hoping Jake would be. 

I should also mention, this trade needs to be made in December. Jake should get one last chance to show what he is capable of. If he doesn't play well, his value drops and he is likely a 1for1 trade option to bring in Poolparty or he performs well and there is no reason to get rid of him.  

• Upvote 1

So, many want to keep JV just because he may be a serviceable 3rd liner?  They're a dime a dozen in the NHL.  

As long as Virtanen is unable to meet expectations, it will always be a point of contention for him in Vancouver.

Virtanen has been playing in professional leagues for 5 years now.  Tutelage under the Sedins, under the umbrella of Linden (when he was still here), given specific focus from Travis Green who was his coach in Utica and currently his NHL coach, plus training day-in day-out with peers in the same age who gives it 100% each and every shift (Horvat, Baertschi, Motte, etc).... yet he's still learning to be a professional?  

Puljujarvi is 2 years younger than Virtanen and still has a higher ceiling (for now, but may be slipping).  I'd rather have JP + 2 years of development than JV now.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

So, many want to keep JV just because he may be a serviceable 3rd liner?  They're a dime a dozen in the NHL.  

As long as Virtanen is unable to meet expectations, it will always be a point of contention for him in Vancouver.

Virtanen has been playing in professional leagues for 5 years now.  Tutelage under the Sedins, under the umbrella of Linden (when he was still here), given specific focus from Travis Green who was his coach in Utica and currently his NHL coach, plus training day-in day-out with peers in the same age who gives it 100% each and every shift (Horvat, Baertschi, Motte, etc).... yet he's still learning to be a professional?  

Puljujarvi is 2 years younger than Virtanen and still has a higher ceiling (for now, but may be slipping).  I'd rather have JP + 2 years of development than JV now.  

The point is JV is already an NHL player.  Pool Party has had his chances to show whether he can be an NHL player, and he's failed miserably.  He can't play without the puck.  We would be trading an NHL player on a good contract for nothing.  

Jake will never be a top 6 forward. However, Jake will be an outstanding bottom 6 forward if only Jake realizes to play to his strength which is to use speed and body size and to forget the fact that he was drafted 6 overall. I bet his draft position is making him think that he can play like a top 6 forward but he should just take comfort that he can be a super strong bottom 6.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I definitely agree Jake is the better player right now. He is a solid bottom 6 winger and could really excel in that role if his progression continues a bit. He's also just seems like a good dude and a local boy which is always awesome. 

I guess my only thought against not doing it is, in all honesty it wouldn't be that tough to find a solid 3rd line winger. Like even looking at our team Leivo, Goldy, Gaudette could all fight for that 3rd line spot. In our system Lind, MacEwan and maybe a couple others could work towards that position (hey Mac may almost be cracking the 4th line already). So maybe as a team on the edge of starting our push to becoming contenders again and hopefully for a long period of time, taking a risk like this might be worth it. 

Pulji hasn't played well for the Oilers and Edmonton management and him are clearly having some issues. But perhaps a changed is exactly what he needs. Maybe coming to Van and learning under a new staff (lets be honest it's not like the Oilers team, staff or management are anything to rave about over the past 5ish years) might really help him. As for the attitude thing, we don't know the full story and as we know, even with Van media, stuff can often get blown out of proportion. Lets remember this dude is really still a kid, I'm sure he is beyond frustrated with himself and maybe he has been having some major concerns with his game and progress since joining Edmonton. He'll mature over the coming years as he starts to really become a pro. 

So basically I think while definitely a risk and the odds are higher that it would fail then work out...I say go for it and lets see what happens. We gotta take chances like we did with our first round pick this year. And if it does work out, we could end up with an unreal top 6 winger.

hi first time posting

what sounds more enticing 

miller-horvat-poolparty

or

miller-horvat-virtanen

yes we don't know how poolparty can be 2nd liner but playing with horvat who's smart and will make everyone accountable, i think will make that line better in the future. jake, who i think still have untapped potential is perfect as a 3rd liner but doesnt have the skill set of poolparty. so what i hope the canucks do is trade another player for poolparty, hopefully goldy and maybe someone else for poolparty. let poolparty play in finland for a year and get some confidence back and bring him back next year to see how he does. and keep virtanen on 3rd line and hope he creates some chemistry with gaudette and someone else.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

no, it helps Edmonton too much. If Jake was able to play on a line with McDavid we'd regret it for years.

So far, JP has been a problem child as well and really hasn't shown much at the NHL level. 

Hard pass. 

Can he play on a line with Pettersson? No? 

Theres your answer.

To those wishing to move on from Jake I say "patience is a virtue and a little more won't hurt you."

Whether Jake is top 6 or top 9 doesn't matter to me, so long as he finds consistency and compete night in and night out this season. I'm hoping having someone on the bench during games like Ferland will allow Jake the freedom to punish the opponent and get in hard on the forecheck. Also, its another contract year for Jake and that can be great motivation for players.

Both Pool Party and Jake are works in progress and I for one think we need Jake and his skill set. If he does "figure it out" this season, we will be a much more dangerous team IMO. I think Jake can crack 20 goals this season without power play time. His shot and speed are huge assets for him. He's just got to learn how to best utilize them and take advantage of his opportunities. Rooting for him!!!

At this point I would do it, but I think we should be getting a pick as well.

For those saying Jake exploding with McSaviour, he hasn't shown capable of doing that in our top 6 but at the same time has Jake really gotten an extended look to be in our top 6? You do have to earn that, but also you have to take an asset and put him in the best position to succeed. Jake in the bottom 6 is less than ideal to me. I would like to see him ride the coat tails of a solid tandem in our top 6 and get 20-30g or 40-50pts while being a heavy force on the forecheck andbe aggressive. Just don't see that kind of style too often out of Jake

On 9/26/2019 at 9:12 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

no, it helps Edmonton too much. If Jake was able to play on a line with McDavid we'd regret it for years.

So far, JP has been a problem child as well and really hasn't shown much at the NHL level. 

Hard pass. 

If JP was able to play on a line with McDavid we’d regret it (see how that works both ways). However if Virtanen can barely make our team I can’t envision him all of a sudden being the best option alongside McDavid. I do still think JP has top 6 offensive potential whereas Virtanen looks more and more like a bottom 6 guy. I’d do the trade at this point. Getting Miller and Ferland on the squad it’s not like we desperately need Virtanen’s tenacity.