The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Keto Thread

Roger Neilsons Towel

13 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Not true, starch granules have been found on tools and teeth that are at least 100 000 years old.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/stone-age-diet-included-processed-grains-1.838541

That's interesting but I'm not sure that proves your point.  It takes 10 sqf of wheat with modern harvesting practices to make enough flour to make 1 loaf of bread.  Picking and processing that by hand would be a big task and not very efficient.  So I seriously doubt that means we where large consumers of carbs back then.  My guess is they where using grain as some sort of binding agent for food back then but I doubt we ever know for sure one way or the other.  Either way thanks for the info its interesting to see how truly ingenuitive we have been as a species.

Edited by thrago

8 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

My local grocery has NZ and Aus beef typically which is grass fed.  Just bought one of those giant tubs of coconut oil actually :) 

Phillips has a 78 calorie one thats ok.  But I like IPA's...  

I have had a hard time finding it here in Ontario, but to be honest the only time I really eat beef is if I go to a restaurant which is once a month max and I'm sure that's not grass fed, But I love me some steak.

Thought I’d give a brief update if any one is interested.

been trying to transition towards Keto since the start of this thread. I pseudo triedI last year but didn’t really commit.

This time, it seems easy. Truth is, it’s not really that big of an adjustment for me. I’ve been trying to minimize carbs and sugars for a while but I never really thought of the benefits of substituting in healthy fats. With in a week the transformation has been too great to ignore. I’m not suggesting that I’ve already entered ketosis; rather, I feel the potential.

My mood has improved, my mind is clearer that it has ever been, I sleep better, I poop better, I have more energy through out the entire day, I don’t feel hungry all the time and my strength has taken a significant jump. Through out my adult life I have consistently been able to bench press, at minimum, 250lbs. Until last year when I got in a pretty bad mountain biking accident were I severely damaged my left elbow and tricep. As a result, I haven’t been able to put up more than 135lbs since - super frustrating. Until this morning when I put up 205. 

I dont know if it is because my change in diet but the correlation is hard to ignore.

All I’ve done is start eating breakfast (two eggs with some cheddar). Never use to eat breakfast. 

Home chicken or tuna wraps for lunch (honestly the only “bread carb” that I’m still latched in to). I also always have a stash of Almonds for emergencies. It’s amazing what a handful of nuts can to quench a hunger in a hurry. For dinner I now start with a spinach salad with avacado, and goat cheese. I let it settle and add my meats accordingly. I use to wake up in the middle of the night to raid the fridge. Doesn’t even cross my mind now. Just don’t feel as hungry all the time as I use to 

Im not quite there, but so far I’m sold. To be honest, I don’t have much weight to lose, it’s mostly ego and cosmetics my part. But the initial health benefits are hard to ignore.

edit: one thing I learned a while ago is that you actually take the time to chew your food your are much less likely to overindulge. It actually stems from ancient aryvedic medicine and confirmed by modern neuroscience. The principal theory is that the taste of food is directly linked to the hypothalamus which controls the released of most hormones, including the hormone that gives us the “feeling of hunger.” So the more you chew your food, and enjoy the taste, the more of the hormone (forget the name) that will tell your stomach that it is satisfied; thereby, decreasing the amount of intake. In other, words if you wolf down your food you are temporarily bypassing hunger on a neurological level but filling your stomach up to the gills before your brain has a chance to realize what is going on. Use your teeth and you’ll lean up.

sorry for the rudimentary scientific explanation. Going off of memory

Edited by Canorth
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Canorth said:

been trying to transition towards Keto since the start of this thread. I pseudo triedI last year but didn’t really commit.

This time, it seems easy. Truth is, it’s not really that big of an adjustment for me. I’ve been trying to minimize carbs and sugars for a while but I never really thought of the benefits of substituting in healthy fats. With in a week the transformation has been too great to ignore. I’m not suggesting that I’ve already entered ketosis; rather, I feel the potential.

My mood has improved, my mind is clearer that it has ever been, I sleep better, I poop better, I have more energy through out the entire day, I don’t feel hungry all the time and my strength has taken a significant jump. Through out my adult life I have consistently been able to bench press, at minimum, 250lbs. Until last year when I got in a pretty bad mountain biking accident were I severely damaged my left elbow and tricep. As a result, I haven’t been able to put up more than 135lbs since - super frustrating. Until this morning when I put up 205. 

I dont know if it is because my change in diet but the correlation is hard to ignore.

All I’ve done is start eating breakfast (two eggs with some cheddar). Never use to eat breakfast. 

Home chicken or tuna wraps for lunch (honestly the only “bread carb” that I’m still latched in to). I also always have a stash of Almonds for emergencies. It’s amazing what a handful of nuts can to quench a hunger in a hurry. For dinner I now start with a spinach salad with avacado, and goat cheese. I let it settle and add my meats accordingly. I use to wake up in the middle of the night to raid the fridge. Doesn’t even cross my mind now. Just don’t feel as hungry all the time as I use to 

Im not quite there, but so far I’m sold. To be honest, I don’t have much weight to lose, it’s mostly ego and cosmetics my part. But the initial health benefits are hard to ignore.

Man that's great like I said earlier in the thread Keto was one of the best choices I ever made for many of the reasons you stated.  I know it's not for everyone but for those of us that it works for it has some amazing results.

4 minutes ago, thrago said:

Man that's great like I said earlier in the thread Keto was one of the best choices I ever made for many of the reasons you stated.  I know it's not for everyone but for those of us that it works for it has some amazing results.

I don’t know. Just seeing immediate results and thought I’d contribute. Also trimmed 4lbs

Se edit of my post for more contributions. Simple but effective

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canorth said:

edit: one thing I learned a while ago is that you actually take the time to chew your food your are much less likely to overindulge. It actually stems from ancient aryvedic medicine and confirmed by modern neuroscience. The principal theory is that the taste of food is directly linked to the hypothalamus which controls the released of most hormones, including the hormone that gives us the “feeling of hunger.” So the more you chew your food, and enjoy the taste, the more of the hormone (forget the name) that will tell your stomach that it is satisfied; thereby, decreasing the amount of intake. In other, words if you wolf down your food you are temporarily bypassing hunger on a neurological level but filling your stomach up to the gills before your brain has a chance to realize what is going on. Use your teeth and you’ll lean up.

sorry for the rudimentary scientific explanation. Going off of memory

Congrats, but I highly doubt 1 week of being stringent will up your weight 70lbs on bench. Not saying it to be rude, but that kind of jump does not happen in a week imo.

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Congrats, but I highly doubt 1 week of being stringent will up your weight 70lbs on bench. Not saying it to be rude, but that kind of jump does not happen in a week imo.

I don’t know what it was maybe a good nights sleep, increased energy whatever... my opinion is the strength was always there but I lost coordination of my triceps due to the injury. All I know is what happened. 

The point is the significant improvement of everything else that I mentioned as a whole. The workout was just another plus.

had a good day, thats all

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2019 at 12:06 AM, Canuckster86 said:

It wouldn't give you that much extra strength, however Keto is very anti-inflammatory so if inflammation and pain where the reasons he wasn't able to lift it before that could be what helped. h

Edited by thrago
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

What a great thread...…...I have not heard about Eriksson once! Oops!

Anyways, I read a little about a hybrid...…….Mediterranean Keto Diet...….has anyone heard about it?

Are you referring to the Eriksson diet?

• Haha 2