The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Keto Thread

Roger Neilsons Towel

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who cares about all this negative stuff!  Can you say all you can eat BACON?  

What about green crap.  My wife is always sneaking greens into my meat with those stir fry things.  It’s a pain picking through that crap hunting for meat.  

6 minutes ago, thrago said:

green stuffs ok but root vegtables are no good.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So basically I get to live on meat?  OMG!  What guy wouldn’t love this diet?  

I differ with thrago a bit here. You still need to eat healthy greens. Just watch the amount of carbs ingested. However most of your 20 grams of carbs per day (max) should come from Greens/Vegetables. It is also important to make sure your protein intake does not exceed your fat intake in order to keep your macros in line. So it’s not really an “unlimited meat” diet. That’s more what they call “Dirty Keto”. I’m on a more strict Keto program. Although people on “Dirty Keto” still lose substantial weight, I still believe that some balance is required for long term health. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, thrago said:

You and Ansil Keys would get along great.  By the way he's the guy who they now know falsified the 7 counties studies that convinced everyone into believing saturated fat was bad for you. BTW you don't have to eat animal fat Coconut oil is a great and healthy source of fat which also happens to be saturated as well.

I love coconuts!  Damn this diet just keeps getting better.  

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I differ with thrago a bit here. You still need to eat healthy greens. Just watch the amount of carbs ingested. However most of your 20 grams of carbs per day (max) should come from Greens/Vegetables. It is also important to make sure your protein intake does not exceed your fat intake in order to keep your macros in line. So it’s not really an “unlimited meat” diet. That’s more what they call “Dirty Keto”. I’m on a more strict Keto program. Although people on “Dirty Keto” still lose substantial weight, I still believe that some balance is required for long term health. 

I eat vegies mostly cauliflower and mushrooms some broccoli. its just not the main part of my diet.  I eat more vegies now then I did pre keto to be honest.

Edited by thrago
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Well the thread was created for people on Keto to share successes, failures, and recipes, as I said in the description. The intent is not to convert people, and certainly not for unnecessary arguments. If you don’t like Keto that’s fine. Probably not the thread for you. 

I'm not here to convert anyone either but if people have questions, I have most of the answers I have done a tonne of research, but at the end of the day everyone believes what they want too.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, thrago said:

I eat vegies mostly cauliflower and mushrooms some broccoli. its just not the main part of my diet.  I eat more vegies now then I did pre keto to be honest.

Same with me. Just didn’t want to give a false impression. It’s not an unlimited fat or unlimited meat/cheese diet. Yes you get lots of those things. But greens/vegetables still need to be part of your diet. Appreciate your insight in this thread. I haven’t disagreed with anything you’ve said. Just adding to it and clarifying what I believe are some misconceptions about Keto. 

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Same with me. Just didn’t want to give a false impression. It’s not an unlimited fat or unlimited meat/cheese diet. Yes you get lots of those things. But greens/vegetables still need to be part of your diet. Appreciate your insight in this thread. I haven’t disagreed with anything you’ve said. Just adding to it and clarifying what I believe are some misconceptions about Keto. 

There are a tonne of misconceptions which is too bad, because a lot of people can be helped with diet but its not for everyone.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Salted?  What about salt intake?  What about fruits like apples, oranges, bananas? 

You actually need to up you salt intake on the keto diet as the carbs in your body store sodium and when you go on keto your body flushes a lot of your sodium which causes what is commonly known as the keto flu.  The cure is to drink soup broth for the first few days/weeks to restore your natural sodium balance.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

No fruit!  Too bad.  Love fruit. :(

im starting my own diet.  Meat, fruit, berries, nuts, greens, and SCOTCH.  

I haven’t stopped drinking Whisky. 

It’s carb and calorie free. 

Will you lose more weight without it? Sure. 

But you still have to enjoy your life. My opinion. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thrago said:

You actually need to up you salt intake on the keto diet as the carbs in your body store sodium and when you go on keto your body flushes a lot of your sodium which causes what is commonly known as the keto flu.  The cure is to drink soup broth for the first few days/weeks to restore your natural sodium balance.

I had bad Keto Flu for the first month. 

Sodium, Potassium, and Magnesium got me through.