The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gaudette Conundrum

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Gaudette's poll  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Adam Gaudette. :towel:

Like wow bro. :emot-parrot:

I can't even. :bigblush:

I don't know how this dude has put together such a consistent training camp and preseason, but surely it's widely considered/accepted that he is a better option than guys like Goldobin, Schaller, Motte, and even Eriksson and Virtanen. :frantic:

But if he stays up on the big Orca as you all know we will likely have to let go 1-2 of our lower-tier forwards to accommodate for his spot on the roster. :sadno:

There's also concern over where in the line-up he would fit in, and to me, it seems pretty obvious that he would be slotting in at 3C and then moving up to the top 6 in the inevitable situation of an injury/injuries to one of our top 6 studs. :goat:

So there are a few questions that come to mind, and I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on said questions. ;)

1) Do we keep Gaudette on our opening night roster?

2) What position does he fit into in the lineup considering the current forwards we have?

3) Which forward/forwards would you be willing to part with to add Gaudette to the roster?

4) Do you think assigning Gaudette to the NHL is a good or bad decision for his development?

5) What level of offensive production would be considered a success in a full 2019-2020 season for Adam Gaudette?

The first question is pretty straight forward and it's not surprising that there are a lot of people that are hoping we keep Gaudette around for a full season. So, assuming that we don't send him down to Utica, where would he end up in the lineup/depth chart?

And since Gaudette doesn't have to clear waivers but others in our bottom-6 forward group do, which of the forwards in that group would you consider expendable in the effort to make room for him on the squad? The likely candidates for waivers/trade etc would be Virtanen, Goldobin, Eriksson, Schaller, Motte. Personally, I really don't think we should let Jake go, and I'd like to keep Goldobin but if it was a choice between Goldy and HockeyGaud I think I'd have to give the nod to the latter.

And honestly, after watching him this preseason, I'm pretty sure he's mostly ready for the big league - he seems to be ready to make an impact now, and while the preseason is "meaningless" and is a very small sample size, he has really shown that he can compete.

I think it would be realistic that he could score upwards of 10 goals-20 assists if used primarily in a third line deployment with occasional stints in the top 6 when injuries are running rampant. And to me that would be great, especially if his linemates on the third line could match those numbers. If each of our third line manages 30-40 points then that is some great depth as far as offense goes. So I'd say I'd be happy with anywhere north of 30 points for Gaudette if he were to play the full season in the NHL this year.

What does everyone else see happening with this tricky conundrum of a situation we have on our hands here?  :canucks:

Edited by BrockBoester

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He'd probably have a decent year on the third line but I think our depth gives us the unique opportunity to let him marinate in the AHL for a bit. Let him learn to dominate the pro game at that level playing 20+ minutes a night and then bring him up around January/February when the inevitable injury train rolls around. 

True - but this goes against what JB had been saying all along - if a player earns a  spot he will make room for him.  Maybe he needs to start in the AHL until he makes that room (assuming he can’t stomach losing somebody on waivers) but he deserves a shot and sooner then later.   I do get what your saying though, and if things go that way so be it he might be a little gun shy to lose some of his recently acquired depth given our injury history..we should see what he decides shortly.

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Pearson

Baertschi-Sutter-Gaudette

Eriksson-Beagle-Leivo

Virtanen

That leaves Motte, Schaller, and Goldobin on the outs. 

I wonder if the Canucks go 14F and 7D to start the season. That would mean they keep one of the three above.

Edited by Darkstar
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He'd probably have a decent year on the third line but I think our depth gives us the unique opportunity to let him marinate in the AHL for a bit. Let him learn to dominate the pro game at that level playing 20+ minutes a night and then bring him up around January/February when the inevitable injury train rolls around. 

This is what I lean towards too. I'd love to see him up here but I'd also love to over in Utica getting big minutes as a guy who's leaned on and dominating as an offensive player. He'll get his chance this year thanks to the inevitable Canuck injury luck but I'd prefer to see him start in Utica. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

True - but this goes against what JB had been saying all along - if a player earns a  spot he will make room for him.  Maybe he needs to start in the AHL until he makes that room (assuming he can’t stomach losing somebody on waivers) but he deserves a shot and sooner then later.   I do get what your saying though, and if things go that way so be it he might be a little gun shy to lose some of his recently acquired depth given our injury history..we should see what he decides shortly.

Sometimes the bigger picture takes precedent.  As great as he's played, there's no "need" for him in Van this season and why not let him dominate in Utica and be the inevitable call up.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He's not competing with LE for a spot, he's competing with Sutter and Beagle

Hockey Gaud has been better than both Sutter and Beagle too.  I love how Beagle plays centre on the fourth line.  I think Sutter plays wing well enough to have Hockey Gaud as third line centre.  Baer, Gaud, Suts is a good third line.  Is Gaud going to play, barring injury, as one of our top 2 centres?  Of course not.  So play him as our third line centre.  That’s where we want him anyway, right?  

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sometimes the bigger picture takes precedent.  As great as he's played, there's no "need" for him in Van this season and why not let him dominate in Utica and be the inevitable call up.  

He’s kind of been dominating as our third line centre up here.  He’s our best option as our third line centre, and he’s not taking Petey or Bo’s spots.  Just put Sutter on Gaud’s wing.  

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Another thing that you need to think about is confidence. If he’s confident at the NHL level, then he won’t get anything more in the AHL. Why let him fester if he’s already outperforming our bottom 6 centres?

1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Pearson

Baertschi-Sutter-Gaudette

Eriksson-Beagle-Leivo

Virtanen

That leaves Motte, Schaller, and Goldobin on the outs. 

I wonder if the Canucks go 14F and 7D to start the season. That would mean they keep one of the three above.

They'll probably start with 14F and 7D. 

Until JB can trade the surplus forwards for a return (hopefully decent). 

Then once space is made, they will probably go to 13F and 8D.

I didn't vote as, although I believe that he belongs in the NHL, I think there's a really good chance that he starts in the AHL because he doesn't require waivers, and Benning will work on trading Sutter or someone to make room for him. 

I think by game 10 of the season, he'll be here for good, but it might take that long to find the right trading partner or for Sutter or Eriksson to get injured and be moved to LTIR again.

• Upvote 1