The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gaudette Conundrum

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Gaudette's poll  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So I guess you support the waiver moves today then? 

Yes, they kept the players that earned their spots and send down the ones that didn't.

I don't think the Canucks are good enough yet, that the "discards" all get picked up by other teams; however I look forward to the day that every player the Canucks try to waive is snapped up by other teams. Would mean the Canucks have a really good line up.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

Loui is being paid $3 mill per year with a $6 mill cap hit, so sending him down would leave a $5 mill cap hit and a $3 mill paycheque.

I never heard F. A. say anything about the Gagner money, but may have missed it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/loui-eriksson

Go check it out for yourself, the only thing you got correct was his $6M cap hit.

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yes, he has looked better, but is still the 4th line center and putting Gaudette in Sutter's spot with Sutter becoming the 4th liner would have given the team the ability to have 3 scoring lines and one defensively strong line.

Looks like Schaller stays so Either Gaudette or Sutter will be playing wing.

Huh?  Schallers a winger.   He'd be even more useless as a centre . 

5 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah and Benning took heat from it from Aquilini at only $3M, FA was not happy to be paying a player $3M to be playing in the minors, and I've been saying this for a while now because of the heat Benning got from FA over Gagner, I strongly felt he wouldn't be waiving Eriksson because that would be $5M for him to play in the minors, and by the looks of it seeing who was waived today I believe I was correct in this.

Only $1m actual salary the rest of this year FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

@ChuckNORRIS4Cup, not sure why you puzzle faced me? Eriksson's actual salary the rest of this years is $1m as per Capfriendly:

SEASON CLAUSE CAP HIT q2.svg AAV q2.svg P. BONUSES q2.svg S. BONUSES q2.svg BASE SALARY q2.svg TOTAL SALARY q2.svg MINORS SALARY q2.svg
2016-17 NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $7,000,000 $1,000,000 $8,000,000 $8,000,000
2017-18 NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $7,000,000 $1,000,000 $8,000,000 $8,000,000
2018-19 NTC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $6,000,000 $1,000,000 $7,000,000 $7,000,000
2019-20 NTC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $4,000,000 $1,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000
2020-21 Modified NTC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $4,000,000 $4,000,000
2021-22 Modified NTC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $1,000,000 $3,000,000 $4,000,000 $4,000,000
TOTAL   $36,000,000 $36,000,000 $0 $28,000,000 $8,000,000 $36,000,000 $36,000,000

As you can see, he's already been paid his bonus and has $1m left to be paid out the rest of the season as his actual salary.

As of today's practice lines, he was also press box bound 14th F and that could very easily change when Roussel gets back to be 15th.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah and Benning took heat from it from Aquilini at only $3M, FA was not happy to be paying a player $3M to be playing in the minors, and I've been saying this for a while now because of the heat Benning got from FA over Gagner, I strongly felt he wouldn't be waiving Eriksson because that would be $5M for him to play in the minors, and by the looks of it seeing who was waived today I believe I was correct in this.

I totally agree, but Aquilini already paid Loui 4 million for this season in advance.  I think 

Aquilini wants Loui up here because he’s already paid him all that money for this coming season.  IMO Aquilini is forcing JB to keep Loui.  If Green valued Loui’s PK so much, why is Loui going to be in the press box?  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I totally agree, but Aquilini already paid Loui 4 million for this season in advance.  I think 

Aquilini wants Loui up here because he’s already paid him all that money for this coming season.  IMO Aquilini is forcing JB to keep Loui.  If Green valued Loui’s PK so much, why is Loui going to be in the press box?  

That’s one theory.  Another one is that TG actually wants to keep him a little longer to see how things go over the next couple weeks before Rousell is back.   Schaller will probably go next though.   It was a bit surprising to see Bear go.   Without his injury history someone would for sure pick him up and maybe a team still will be willing to risk it - JB  been working on trading 4/5 guys supposedly - and no bites yet, these guys slip through waivers easier at this time of year which does affect the market a little - once things get going and injuries start mounting up the next guy up might not make it through as easily - which also could be why Schaller is kept over Goldy and Bear.  

Also its not like their careers are over, maybe with us but another team might go for one of these supposed trades later on if a guy goes down in their middle six and they think Bear or Goldobin would be a cheap fix/depth guy for their team.   The best thing they can do is go down to Utica and light it up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That’s one theory.  Another one is that TG actually wants to keep him a little longer to see how things go over the next couple weeks before Rousell is back.   Schaller will probably go next though.   It was a bit surprising to see Bear go.   Without his injury history someone would for sure pick him up and maybe a team still will be willing to risk it - JB  been working on trading 4/5 guys supposedly - and no bites yet, these guys slip through waivers easier at this time of year which does affect the market a little - once things get going and injuries start mounting up the next guy up might not make it through as easily - which also could be why Schaller is kept over Goldy and Bear.  

Also its not like their careers are over, maybe with us but another team might go for one of these supposed trades later on if a guy goes down in their middle six and they think Bear or Goldobin would be a cheap fix/depth guy for their team.   The best thing they can do is go down to Utica and light it up.

JB has collected enough good players, that we are pissed when one or two get put on waivers.  That’s a positive for sure.  

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

@ChuckNORRIS4Cup, not sure why you puzzle faced me? Eriksson's actual salary the rest of this years is $1m as per Capfriendly:

As you can see, he's already been paid his bonus and has $1m left to be paid out the rest of the season as his actual salary.

As of today's practice lines, he was also press box bound 14th F and that could very easily change when Roussel gets back to be 15th.

I guess you need an explanation, I'm confused to why you bothered to quote me in the first place with information that doesn't change that he makes $5M this year, I'm aware he already got his $4M and receives another $1M, if waived still a $5M guy playing in the minors....

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Oh it's even worse with Eriksson then it was with Gagner for FA, at least with Gagner he didn't have to pay him all his $3M they were able to trad him away, but with Eriksson he's already paid him like you say so it's even worse if he gets sent down, that would just boil FA.

It's all crap to justify his horrible contract, it's pretty much what Trump says tbh, Fake News.

7 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I guess you need an explanation, I'm confused to why you bothered to quote me in the first place with information that doesn't change that he makes $5M this year, I'm aware he already got his $4M and receives another $1M, if waived still a $5M guy playing in the minors....

Because his salary is actually $1m.

• Wat 1

The ultimate Gaudette insulation:  

This won’t happen obviously (nor should it), but if the Canucks....

1) Really feel that Gaudette is ready to be an NHL’er

2) Wanted to surround Gaudette with good linemates so that Gaudette could grow his game while also not being forced to carry a line...

3) Desired to have a reasonably well balanced three line attack, 

then I would advocate the following:

#####-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-######

Ferland-Gaudette-Miller

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

The idea would be that Pettersson/Boeser would be strong enough to carry the 1st line, while Horvat/Pearson’s chemistry could carry the 2nd.

Guys like Leivo, Sutter, Eriksson, Virtanen, a returning Roussel, and even Utica call-ups such as Baertschi and Goldobin could fill those vacant positions.

End result:

1) Gaudette is properly brought up and insulated at the NHL level, and is given a reasonable shot to grow at this level.

2) The Canucks have three balanced scoring lines and would try and win on depth/balanced attack, as opposed to a more front-loaded top 6.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl