The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 9 players - Sept. 27, 2019

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

He plays with a chip on his shoulder...we need that.

I have watched all the pre-season games (1 live) and frankly I am a little concerned with the lack of apparent emotion/push back from the Canucks so far. Especially because there are a bunch of new guys trying to make an impression and guys trying to make the team - fighting for jobs apparently. 

Gaudette has been a breath of fresh air with his enthusiasm.  I am hoping it's just because it is the pre-season.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I have watched all the pre-season games (1 live) and frankly I am a little concerned with the lack of apparent emotion/push back from the Canucks so far. Especially because there are a bunch of new guys trying to make an impression and guys trying to make the team - fighting for jobs apparently. 

Gaudette has been a breath of fresh air with his enthusiasm.  I am hoping it's just because it is the pre-season.  

I thought we had good push-back from the 2nd Ottawa game on - against Arizona especially.

6 hours ago, Borvat said:

I have liked the way Chatfield has played.  Brisebois has seemed more indecisive and has had some bad turnovers. Chatfield seems more confident and ready.

I agree for the most part except that I think Brisbois has been more consistent overall, but Chatfield has had higher highs and lower lows. Love those highs though! (Pun intended lol)

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I thought we had good push-back from the 2nd Ottawa game on - against Arizona especially.

I only really noticed the one play involving Beagle in the last game.  Otherwise it has seemed pretty vanilla to me especially with the so called fighting for jobs mantra and new guys trying to make impressions.  I honestly expected more.  Maybe I expected too much.  I admit I do like some emotion and good old fashioned physical play - hockey at its finest.  Maybe the season will bring that soon enough.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he was a great pick in the 3rd round, just 17 and captain of his team. Seems like he's been around forever but he's just 22. 

7 hours ago, Borvat said:

I have liked the way Chatfield has played.  Brisebois has seemed more indecisive and has had some bad turnovers. Chatfield seems more confident and ready.

Interesting. There seems to be a split on who has shown better so far. Although I like them both, I think Breezer has had the better camp. He's a better skater and passer, and I think if he continues to see NHL games as a fill-in that he will adjust nicely and be another Tanev-esque dman for us. 

I do like Chatfield, tho, and see him as another Bieksa. I just think he's slightly behind in readiness.

16 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Interesting. There seems to be a split on who has shown better so far. Although I like them both, I think Breezer has had the better camp. He's a better skater and passer, and I think if he continues to see NHL games as a fill-in that he will adjust nicely and be another Tanev-esque dman for us. 

I do like Chatfield, tho, and see him as another Bieksa. I just think he's slightly behind in readiness.

that was my take as well, JC seems a little more raw than Breezy, who really reminds me of Tanev. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I only really noticed the one play involving Beagle in the last game.  Otherwise it has seemed pretty vanilla to me especially with the so called fighting for jobs mantra and new guys trying to make impressions.  I honestly expected more.  Maybe I expected too much.  I admit I do like some emotion and good old fashioned physical play - hockey at its finest.  Maybe the season will bring that soon enough.

Naw, they were definitely playing stiffer, but I do wear my rose colored glasses with my team! Hopefully you're right and they will step it up moreso when the games are meaningful....

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

There’s got to be a big waiver dump coming Either Saturday or Sunday.

I think with all the recent injuries to the Canucks..... maybe that means only 1 guy more needs to go on waivers.....   Not sure but i guess it depends on the severity of the recent injuries....

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be fine with that list. I do worry that Green has his coach-man-crush on Schaller for some reason this year. Coaches always seem to love a certain plug for some reason. 

He's been one of our best penalty killers and has chemistry with our best bottom forward, Beagle.  I'm not a huge Schaller fan, but he has his merits. 

33 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Naw, they were definitely playing stiffer, but I do wear my rose colored glasses with my team! Hopefully you're right and they will step it up moreso when the games are meaningful....

Yeah I don't see the same thing so far in pre-season especially based on the additions like Ferland, Miller and Benn. 

• Upvote 1

Noticed Alzner given the Gagne treatment...should be a busy next couple of days for Vancouver - at least two fringe guys will get waived past the AHL group.   AG included - however I think JB will be working hard to get a trade made to open up one roster spot.   We have better depth then years - pretty sure he will want to hold onto it, but still see at least one guy moving on. 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Noticed Alzner given the Gagne treatment...should be a busy next couple of days for Vancouver - at least two fringe guys will get waived past the AHL group.   AG included - however I think JB will be working hard to get a trade made to open up one roster spot.   We have better depth then years - pretty sure he will want to hold onto it, but still see at least one guy moving on. 

He was waived a month into last season and spent the year in the AHL. This is nothing new for him.