The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini Interview Thursday OCT 3 @ 10 AM

Rate this topic

Squamfan

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Lots of owners wouldn't pay up to own the AHL affiliate.  We are lucky that he's always been willing to make winning the main priority, regardless of finances.

It’s his toy; he gets to play with it as he likes.  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Maybe Greener thinks Loui will be more effective as a checking winger and on the pk.

Benning mentioned earlier that Baerschi looked like he was scared to take a hit. Baerschi is damaged goods. Wont help us in a bottom 6 role either.

I respect that view.  However, if Loui is so valuable in a checking and PK role, why is he going to sit in the press box?  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I respect that view.  However, if Loui is so valuable in a checking and PK role, why is he going to sit in the press box?  

Who knows what the lineup will be on opening night. But if he is in the press box to start it could be a tactic to put him on notice that he can easily be the next Baerschi. Greener does like to use this method to send a message.

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why?  He’s paying the bills - for his employees mistakes and his good signings.   The only involvement he has is continuing to allow management to spend to the cap, regardless of previous wrong doings and the fact we aren’t a contending team (yet) and even when rebuilding.  

After close to a decade being exposed to OTT simply based on proximity - I’m so glad we have the owners we do.   Imagine if Aquaman needed a liver and had the audacity to ask the fans to help him find a match - and offer a “reward” for it too. Simply a bizzare unstable ownership - not too long ago he was ousted from company he owns by the board because of his own narcissistic tendencies - and now his backing is seriously in jeopardy and he needs the Sens to pay the bills or he’s done .... a ticking time bomb. 

Francis and Co will never put their fans through anything like Mike Milbury of owners in OTT.  

JB said that his talk with Aquilini about sending Gagner to the minors was the most difficult conversation he’s had with our owner.  JB is a very honest guy, and almost to a fault.  IMO he had a similar conversation with Aquilini about Loui, and this time Aquilini said he’ll no.  “I’ve already paid this guy 4 million for this season.  Isn’t there another way?” 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Lots of owners wouldn't pay up to own the AHL affiliate.  We are lucky that he's always been willing to make winning the main priority, regardless of finances.

Well I don't think he'll be shopping at Value Village anytime soon.  Look at the value of the real estate around the arena.

Still, ALOT better than the cheap owner in Ottawa (or other cities).

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Because it is a little easier for Benning to explain sending a 4 million paycheck to the minors than a 6 million dollar one.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, smokes said:

Because it is a little easier for Benning to explain sending a 4 million paycheck to the minors than a 6 million dollar one.

Especially when the six million dollar man has already been paid five million in advance.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

we have a top 5 or 10 owner imo 

especially after 2011. A few articles said Aquilini he hired a dr phil type of doctor to make sure the players had good head space and different have mental issue. When I heard that I gained a HUGE amount of respect and having a local owner is huge to! 

At least part of the reason why the team was so meh (at best) for much of it's first few decades of existance was that we had ownership that didn't have deep pockets.  And this was an era when there was no cap.  That isn't an issue anymore.  And thank goodness for that.