The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini Interview Thursday OCT 3 @ 10 AM

Rate this topic

Squamfan

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  However us it best for a fan (Aquilini) to be involved in hockey opps? It would be like one of us making decisions.  Crazy stuff would happen.  

you mean owners like jerry jones , Gilette  steinbrenner , wirtzs and numerous other  sports team owners doing crazy thing, no they never do crazy stuff .no never lol   

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Had nothing to do with it. Didn't think he was a fit/type of player we should be signing. Didn't think he'd mesh with the twins in the NHL either.

That had totally nothing to do with it.

Wrong age to bring on the club.  Too old for when the club would be contending. 

2 hours ago, spur1 said:

Do some math... an extra 1000 in the seats for the year would more than pay his salary. Some 4th liner would still cost a mil and would not put any extra bums in the seats. 

Gino V 2 on a crappy rebuilding team would have put more bums in seats that Loui E would have ever...... 

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Had nothing to do with it. Didn't think he was a fit/type of player we should be signing. Didn't think he'd mesh with the twins in the NHL either.

Actually when fans were screaming for a match for the Sedin's and had scored 30 goals, albeit with different style of play and he seemed at least he could do a lot better than granny or any one else on our team we could put with them and even showed promises in the world's but for some reason he just.. quit trying as some players do with long term contracts and we're hardly the first victim of that kind of thing but Greener isn't the one to be able to get the most out of him and the situation wasn't helpful about it being a NMC instead of an NTC would have done the trick but Benning was fairly new at the reigns and gaffed as all GM's do as I've been watching the NHL for 44 years and never saw a perfect GM especially if *assistant GM" was all the experience JB had walking in and especially with an aging core and defense that was past it's prime and with a broken psyche after 2011 with no identity as well.. 

I'm finally a "bit" happier knowing that JB will be more knowledgeable by experience by the time both Louie's are off the books and have 9 extra mil to help sign players like Petey to bridge deals which get bigger when the 9 mil comes into play.

Will 3 more years be painful to wait? Sort of but at least we're not heading downhill with mostly older players anymore, think it will be entertaining fun to watch hockey in the meantime..

Oh and that's, the premise I think Brock signed for 3 years knowing the next year we will have more cap money and I can see JB talking about to his agent and pulling that deal off..

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Actually when fans were screaming for a match for the Sedin's and had scored 30 goals, albeit with different style of play and he seemed at least he could do a lot better than granny or any one else on our team we could put with them and even showed promises in the world's but for some reason he just.. quit trying as some players do with long term contracts and we're hardly the first victim of that kind of thing but Greener isn't the one to be able to get the most out of him and the situation wasn't helpful about it being a NMC instead of an NTC would have done the trick but Benning was fairly new at the reigns and gaffed as all GM's do as I've been watching the NHL for 44 years and never saw a perfect GM especially if *assistant GM" was all the experience JB had walking in and especially with an aging core and defense that was past it's prime and with a broken psyche after 2011 with no identity as well.. 

I'm finally a "bit" happier knowing that JB will be more knowledgeable by experience by the time both Louie's are off the books and have 9 extra mil to help sign players like Petey to bridge deals which get bigger when the 9 mil comes into play.

Will 3 more years be painful to wait? Sort of but at least we're not heading downhill with mostly older players anymore, think it will be entertaining fun to watch hockey in the meantime..

Oh and that's, the premise I think Brock signed for 3 years knowing the next year we will have more cap money and I can see JB talking about to his agent and pulling that deal off..

No, I'm saying I saw him not being a fit coming. Before the signing. Was quite vocal about it. Ask @Jimmy McGill.

Here's my read:

-  Aqualini is not in the business out of altruism... and the fact is, an NHL team in a bigger Canadian Market like Vancouver is pretty close to a license to print money.  The Griffiths did not sell the team because it was not a moneymaker, they sold the team because little Arthur got in way over his head with the Grizzlies and blew out the family bank.  If there were no Grizzlies, the Griffiths would still be the owners.  Aqua-man knows he can make a ton of money... he did when the Sedins were in their prime.

-  While Aquaman is not Mr. Generosity, he is smart enough to know there is no point in penny pinching... so he is spending close to the CAP most years.  He knows the fans would not put up with him doing otherwise.  He has also hired a pretty good management team... maybe he didn't spend a lot on the coach, but Green can be replaced when the team is ready to contend.

-  Aqualini maybe does put his finger in the pie a few times a year, but mostly he keeps hands off and lets the experts run the show.  For that we can be grateful.  If he had something to do with Linden departing, then while that might hurt a few feelings, it doesn't really affect the team's management.  And he is still inviting Trev back for things like the Captain's announcement... of course, if he didn't then he would risk being one of the more hated people in Vancity.

-  Maybe Aquaman could have been a little more circumspect re. who will be the Captain, but hell, who doesn't know who it will be?

-  Yeah, Aquaman doesn't have the best reputation for what he has done business-wise outside of hockey, but while he clearly expects to make money from the team, he also does have an interest in the game... and is a fan.

Nothing is perfect... could be a lot worse.  We get to have a generally competitive team every few years and an arena which although it may not be top of the line, is a decent place to watch a hockey game.

And oh yeah>>>>>   Those who hate Mr. Aqualini should not get their hopes up...  he's not selling anytime soon.  :bigblush:

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1