The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Graovac | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Graovac is the type of player we want competing with other guys for roster spots. I think he is a better player than Beagle at this point and costs 1/4 the cap. 

Would just LOVE it if we can LTIR Mr Beags & find out! I quite like TG, & feel he's a fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Graovac is the type of player we want competing with other guys for roster spots. I think he is a better player than Beagle at this point and costs 1/4 the cap. 

TG is big, but is he hard enough to play against?  

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, Alflives said:

TG is big, but is he hard enough to play against?  

These younger guys with gas in the tank - you can have them compete for spots so they are forced to play hard and they don't take up cap space when they get sent down. I just think it is a more effective model of building a cap team than tying up space with low quality players on high price contracts. 

6 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

These younger guys with gas in the tank - you can have them compete for spots so they are forced to play hard and they don't take up cap space when they get sent down. I just think it is a more effective model of building a cap team than tying up space with low quality players on high price contracts. 

Of course, but the younger guy (I don’t believe TG is that young, is he?) has to have that level of compete as part of his make-up.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course, but the younger guy (I don’t believe TG is that young, is he?) has to have that level of compete as part of his make-up.  

I guess in short I'd rather have Graovac, Boyd, and a guy like Drake Caggiula fight over one bottom 6 role vs going out and spending $3 million on a guy like Beagle or Roussel. Adam Cracknell as an example was a really solid 4th liner for us on league minimum. 

If Beagle was a legit shutdown centre it would be worth it but he gets lit up like crazy. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I guess in short I'd rather have Graovac, Boyd, and a guy like Drake Caggiula fight over one bottom 6 role vs going out and spending $3 million on a guy like Beagle or Roussel. Adam Cracknell as an example was a really solid 4th liner for us on league minimum. 

If Beagle was a legit shutdown centre it would be worth it but he gets lit up like crazy. 

Absolutely.  And have guys in Abbotsford ready to take on those minutes too.  Cole Lind played centre in Utica last year.  He’s a bigger body, and a pest too.  But he’s still developing physically.  And I don’t know if he has the make-up to be a shutdown guy.  Like to see him get that kind of chance though.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Why/how do people not see that as largely the plan moving forward as we exit the rebuild?

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

That’s exactly what we are doing now.  

3-4 years ago we didn’t have anything in our system, now we do. 

I like Tyler Graovac, hope to see him as the 13th forward. 

On 6/24/2021 at 9:49 AM, Alflives said:

28, not young by NHL stats, not old but what you see is what you get. 

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

28, not young by NHL stats, not old but what you see is what you get. 

Sometimes guys just come out of nowhere, but yes, he has 15 points in 84 NHL games.  But remember Druce?  26 points in 93 games, then came the playoffs and he went 14 goals in 15 games for Washington.

Graovac was a pont a game for the Moose on his loan there before his injury, so he has it in him at some level  - NHL, though?  Not on the evidence so far, but I am rooting for him

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 5:59 PM, canucklehead44 said:

HAHAHA. I think you are dreaming. Rous - beags - Motte were one of the best 4th lines. Beags and Mott on the PK help so much. Then you have his work ethic and his leadership in the room. 

Remember the start of the season, it was our 3rd and 4th line that carried the team while Horvat and Pettersson lines tried to remember how to play hockey and make a pass. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Googlie said:

Sometimes guys just come out of nowhere, but yes, he has 15 points in 84 NHL games.  But remember Druce?  26 points in 93 games, then came the playoffs and he went 14 goals in 15 games for Washington.

Graovac was a pont a game for the Moose on his loan there before his injury, so he has it in him at some level  - NHL, though?  Not on the evidence so far, but I am rooting for him

3rd and 4th line guys need to play D first. Look at the Leafs with the WE WILL SCORE MORE attitude. They are getting really good at golf 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

3rd and 4th line guys need to play D first. Look at the Leafs with the WE WILL SCORE MORE attitude. They are getting really good at golf 

The Avs golf early every year too.  It’s not just the bottom of the roster though that needs to play the defensive side of the puck.  It’s the top minute guys as well.  The vast majority of a player’s time on ice is played without the puck.  The Oiler top guys are horrid also without the puck on their sticks.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Avs golf early every year too.  It’s not just the bottom of the roster though that needs to play the defensive side of the puck.  It’s the top minute guys as well.  The vast majority of a player’s time on ice is played without the puck.  The Oiler top guys are horrid also without the puck on their sticks.  

I know this. However my point was made because everyone asks if he can score while playing 4th line. I don't care if he ever scores a goal if he can frustrate and stop other teams from scoring on us.

I know you agree with this but so many on here think Sutter and Beags is a bust because they do not score. When they are healthy our PK was one of the best in the league. They also helped grind us wins.  That is a 3c and a 4c in my opinion

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I know this. However my point was made because everyone asks if he can score while playing 4th line. I don't care if he ever scores a goal if he can frustrate and stop other teams from scoring on us.

I know you agree with this but so many on here think Sutter and Beags is a bust because they do not score. When they are healthy our PK was one of the best in the league. They also helped grind us wins.  That is a 3c and a 4c in my opinion

Totally agree.  If Graovac can eat hard minutes and PK, while squaring up on the scoreboard, that’s a huge plus for us.  

14 hours ago, FaninMex said:

HAHAHA. I think you are dreaming. Rous - beags - Motte were one of the best 4th lines. Beags and Mott on the PK help so much. Then you have his work ethic and his leadership in the room. 

Remember the start of the season, it was our 3rd and 4th line that carried the team while Horvat and Pettersson lines tried to remember how to play hockey and make a pass. 

I don’t think the third and fourth lines did much carrying, as I recall, we lost most of those games at the beginning of last year and Roussel and Beagle didn’t contribute to much of anything. They sure as heck didn’t play like three million dollar players.

15 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t think the third and fourth lines did much carrying, as I recall, we lost most of those games at the beginning of last year and Roussel and Beagle didn’t contribute to much of anything. They sure as heck didn’t play like three million dollar players.

I have NHL.com. Wanna watch them again?

Remember how the team could not pass? That was the top two lines and the D. The 3rd lines and 4th lines came out skating. I know we lost quite a few but it was Beags and Sutter that came to the start of the season ready to play. Beags and Sutters' lines were the ones scoring the few goals. I think Sutter got his first hattrick at the start playing with JV and Mac. They were playing well together but Green being Green changed the lines trying to get Pettersson and Horvat to play hockey. He also played the top 2 lines too much.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Beagle, Motte and Sutter were about the only guys who looked passable, with no preseason or practice time at the beginning of the year. 

'Carrying', might be a bit extreme but they're the only reason we didn't look WAY worse.

Beyond maybe Boeser, our top 6 kids we rely on to drive the bus, were awful, Miller was out (and looked mostly bad when he got back). Petey was stumbling everywhere and hitting posts, Hughes was a giveaway machine...