The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

10 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Concussion that’s brutal .. this might be it for him .

I suppose the silver lining in all this is that if he is out for the season and we won’t worry about the Cap once Roussel  returns. :mellow:

Edited by grandmaster

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I suppose the silver lining in all this is that if he is out for the season and we won’t worry about the Cap once Roussel  returns. :mellow:

Really, Roussel fills the same role as Ferland does.  Still, MF was starting to play well and find his game.  I'm hoping it's more precautionary than anything

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Truly a sad situation with Ferland's concussion. Didn't understand the need to fight the other night. He can be a intimidating player just by finishing checks.  

He has been the only disappointment thus far into the season. I think he was trying to prove himself. Unfortunate result. Like I said in another post though Roussel is going to come back so, if Ferlund continued to disappoint, he would have been replaced regardless.

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think he said concussion protocol......semantics, but maybe it means they are just being cautious given his history?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just his concussion symptoms from last year reappearing.  It's no secret that Ferland has played fairly cautiously to this point, not like the Ferland we remember from the playoffs a few years back.  If I had to guess he may have pushed himself to return to the NHL a little sooner than he should have, and a few knocks to the head the other night was enough to bring those symptoms right back. 

I don't want to get ahead of myself but unfortunately this might be it for him, he's already quoted as being worried about the number of concussions he sustained over the past few years.  At the very least he needs to sit out until he is absolutely at 100%, it's not worth risking it coming back too early.

• Upvote 4

I sont recall Ferly getting hit in the head with a punch in the fight, goes to show you once you start getting concussions they become easy to have re-occuring ones. I hope he gets better and can be a contributor to the Canucks going forward. But,  we don't know how he is feeling about the whole situation or his future. Safe to say, very unlikely Ferly drops the gloves again if he does play.

Get better Ferly, we will need you going forward

22 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I sont recall Ferly getting hit in the head with a punch in the fight, goes to show you once you start getting concussions they become easy to have re-occuring ones. I hope he gets better and can be a contributor to the Canucks going forward. But,  we don't know how he is feeling about the whole situation or his future. Safe to say, very unlikely Ferly drops the gloves again if he does play.

Get better Ferly, we will need you going forward

Ya, I rewatched the fight just now and I can't see any punches landing flush. There were a couple that seemed to graze the side of his head but that's about it. So it's good news in the sense that he wasn't KTFO but bad news that glancing blows have landed him on the IR. If/when Ferland returns, is he going to be able to play the same role? I mean, we don't need him to be Mike Tyson but witht he style of game he plays, he's going to need to answer the bell on occassion. Hopefully we don't have another Derek Dorsett situation on our hands. Best of luck to Ferland while he heals up. Concussions are no joke.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think he said concussion protocol......semantics, but maybe it means they are just being cautious given his history?

This is actually an important distiction. Being in the protocol does not mean the same thing as being diagnosed with a concussion. I don't think Boeser was actually diagnosed with a concussion in pre-season, but he went though the protocol. If a player presents any symptoms consistant with a concussion, they go into the protocol. Being in a fight could give you tight neck muscles that give you a headache and that might be enough. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

This is actually an important distiction. Being in the protocol does not mean the same thing as being diagnosed with a concussion. I don't think Boeser was actually diagnosed with a concussion in pre-season, but he went though the protocol. If a player presents any symptoms consistant with a concussion, they go into the protocol. Being in a fight could give you tight neck muscles that give you a headache and that might be enough. 

yeah its too early to make any kind of pronouncements. Lets see where its at in a week. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Truly a sad situation with Ferland's concussion. Didn't understand the need to fight the other night. He can be a intimidating player just by finishing checks.  

I currently look at Ferland like a player that drops from top 10 in the draft down to #25

It means 15+ GMs saw something they did not like, Schroeder and Shrinkwrap come to mind.

If every GM thought Ferland was a can't miss he'd have been signed July 1, but like the players above he fell in the FA sweepstakes. Down to what, July 10, $3.5m

For Jim Benning I think it was a risk he was willing to take, he probably hoped for better but is not surprized that this has happened.

I think for Ferland to be successful, he needs to answer the bell, if he doesn't it would get around the league pretty quickly.

He answered, it didn't go well.

He is kind of in the same boat as Baertschi, Baer needs to play in the tough areas, Ferland needs to stand in and throw when asked ( tougher area ), it could be the end for both of them with one hit. Its just the type of hits are different.