The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Potential weaknesses in the Canucks line-up, and how to overcome them

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

Potential weaknesses in the Canucks line-up, and how to overcome them.

As of right now, I see three potential weaknesses in the Canucks’ line-up:

1) A lack of a dominant top line.

2) A lack of bottom 6 scoring (namely,

the 3rd line).

3) A lack of a true shut down pairing

The lines are slated to be as follows:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat(c)-Miller

Leivo-Sutter-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Gaudette + Eriksson = press box.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg

Here is what I think the Canucks should do, just Incase my concerns prove to be true

1) Move JT Miller to the top line to play LW with Petey and Boeser.   One hallmark of the truly elite teams in this league is that they have atleast one line that is truly dominant.  The Canucks also had this on past successful teams such as the WCE (Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi), and Sedin-Sedin-Burrows.   If I recall correctly - Miller-Petey-Boeser actually played together once during the pre-season and looked fairly dominant (although granted, it was pre-season).   Still - I think this will translate well into the regular season.

2) Move Ferland down to the 3rd line to play with Sutter and Virtanen (or Gaudette and Virtanen).    Guys like Ray Ferraro and Jeff Pattersson on Team 1040 have pointed out that Vancouver’s bottom 6 still looks impotent as far as scoring ability is concerned.   Hence - my idea to move Ferland down there.    I think Ferland’s fast and physical north-south game will mesh extremely well with Virtanen’s.   Perhaps Ferland can even serve as an on-ice mentor for Virtanen as well.

As it relates to #2, Here is another important point to consider as well:   If the Canucks have realistic intentions of placing Gaudette in a role where he can succeed, then he’ll need to play with linemates that can put the puck in the net and carry the line to a certain extent.  .  That’s where having Ferland on that 3rd line would also come in.

3) Leivo’s strong physical presence down low and solid two way game would be a good fit with Pearson and Horvat.    Pearson and Horvat have pretty good on-ice chemistry and so I’d leave them together in-tact.    The other guy that I would use on the Pearson-Horvat line if injuries hit is Loui Eriksson.    Eriksson’s game should match up well with Pearson’s and Bo’s, and it also puts Eriksson in a position where he can try and contribute more offensively while still having the ability to showcase his two-way game.

4) Get Benn and Tanev used to playing with one another.    While the Canucks’ current defensive pairings are ideal, I think they still lack that one dominant shut down pairing that can contain.    I think back to 2011 when we had Hamhuis and Bieksa or Hamhuis and Sal that could play that role for us even if they weren’t always paired together.    I’d like to see Benn and Tanev be those guys for us.   Keep the pairings as is, but get Benn and Tanev used to playing with one another.

The action plan of the Hindustan:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat(c)-Leivo (Eriksson)

Ferland-Sutter (Gaudette) - Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Motte (MacEwan gets called up if there are more than two injuries, one of which is to a member of the 4th line).

Defense pairings remain as is, but using Benn and Tanev more frequently with one another when the situation calls for it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Ferland is best suited on the first line with Petey & Boeser

Miller has great chemistry with Horvat; if the second line is to change rather have Gaudette there instead of Pearson

that bumps everybody down the lineup

ferland-Petey-Boeser 

Guadette- horvat- miller

pearson-Sutter-Virtanen 

Leivo-Beagle-motte

schaller , Eriksson 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Lets just see how the boys can get this victory train rollin', before we start to claim this and that about weaknesses.

The Stanley Cup winning St. Louis Blues started the season in terrible shape and look how that turned out,you never can tell until the games are played but I know I loved seeing the Bruins lose, almost as much as seeing the Maple Leafs losing again.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Potential weaknesses in the Canucks line-up, and how to overcome them.

As of right now, I see three potential weaknesses in the Canucks’ line-up:

1) A lack of a dominant top line.

2) A lack of bottom 6 scoring (namely,

the 3rd line).

3) A lack of a true shut down pairing

The lines are slated to be as follows:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat(c)-Miller

Leivo-Sutter-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Gaudette + Eriksson = press box.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg

Here is what I think the Canucks should do, just Incase my concerns prove to be true

1) Move JT Miller to the top line to play LW with Petey and Boeser.   One hallmark of the truly elite teams in this league is that they have atleast one line that is truly dominant.  The Canucks also had this on past successful teams such as the WCE (Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi), and Sedin-Sedin-Burrows.   If I recall correctly - Miller-Petey-Boeser actually played together once during the pre-season and looked fairly dominant (although granted, it was pre-season).   Still - I think this will translate well into the regular season.

2) Move Ferland down to the 3rd line to play with Sutter and Virtanen (or Gaudette and Virtanen).    Guys like Ray Ferraro and Jeff Pattersson on Team 1040 have pointed out that Vancouver’s bottom 6 still looks impotent as far as scoring ability is concerned.   Hence - my idea to move Ferland down there.    I think Ferland’s fast and physical north-south game will mesh extremely well with Virtanen’s.   Perhaps Ferland can even serve as an on-ice mentor for Virtanen as well.

As it relates to #2, Here is another important point to consider as well:   If the Canucks have realistic intentions of placing Gaudette in a role where he can succeed, then he’ll need to play with linemates that can put the puck in the net and carry the line to a certain extent.  .  That’s where having Ferland on that 3rd line would also come in.

3) Leivo’s strong physical presence down low and solid two way game would be a good fit with Pearson and Horvat.    Pearson and Horvat have pretty good on-ice chemistry and so I’d leave them together in-tact.    The other guy that I would use on the Pearson-Horvat line if injuries hit is Loui Eriksson.    Eriksson’s game should match up well with Pearson’s and Bo’s, and it also puts Eriksson in a position where he can try and contribute more offensively while still having the ability to showcase his two-way game.

4) Get Benn and Tanev used to playing with one another.    While the Canucks’ current defensive pairings are ideal, I think they still lack that one dominant shut down pairing that can contain.    I think back to 2011 when we had Hamhuis and Bieksa or Hamhuis and Sal that could play that role for us even if they weren’t always paired together.    I’d like to see Benn and Tanev be those guys for us.   Keep the pairings as is, but get Benn and Tanev used to playing with one another.

The action plan of the Hindustan:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat(c)-Leivo (Eriksson)

Ferland-Sutter (Gaudette) - Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Motte (MacEwan gets called up if there are more than two injuries, one of which is to a member of the 4th line).

Defense pairings remain as is, but using Benn and Tanev more frequently with one another when the situation calls for it.

Holly Crap!

We don't need Green or Benning

We got Hindustan Smyl

I am amazed that Edmonton did not scoop you up before we could signed you

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Haha 4

Was it the '88-89 season that Steamer wore his turban?

PS- I've seen lots of posters(here, & that ugly site) suggesting it'll be a popgun offense. They reference numbers from preceding 3-5 yrs.

I'd counter over that period, we always had some weak filler on D. We're much improved there(it's a diverse D-group, of many types). I think this is gonna push the puck to fwds in better scoring situations.

Size, speed, talent, age-up(experience) & especially depth have all been added. This team will be capable of winning in a great variety of ways.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Ferland is best suited on the first line with Petey & Boeser

Miller has great chemistry with Horvat; if the second line is to change rather have Gaudette there instead of Pearson

that bumps everybody down the lineup

ferland-Petey-Boeser 

Guadette- horvat- miller

pearson-Sutter-Virtanen 

Leivo-Beagle-motte

schaller , Eriksson 

1st line hasn't played a shift yet.

2nd line.. Gaudette likes distributors. Plays give and goes to the net. Chaching.

3rd Line Works on paper but..

4th Line Eriksson Beagle Leivo

We have a great 1st line, two young stars and a tough complementary player. Bo as a 2nd line centre is perfect, and Miller on his wing is good. An upgrade on the other wing on the 2nd line would be nice, but it's not critical right now. Consistancy from the 3rd liners is a big need, I'd want 30 points out of each of those guys to call the forward group deep. 

Biggest need is still a #1 dman. Quinn might be a high-end offensive D, but we need a well rounded legit top pair D man more than anything. Edler is decent in this role if he could stay healthy. But he's no spring chicken and I wouldn't count on him continuing to be that player for seasons to come.

Edited by MattJVD

So basically you precisely laid out the line combinations you feel might work. Thought there was already a thread for that, frankly.

What you are ultimately saying with this is that Green finally has options with various guys who can move up and down the lineup. Plenty of different role players to try creating chemistry. 

Who knows where Ferland ends up. If he can't succeed on the 1st he moves to the 2nd or the 3rd as you mentioned (and I agree he would likely do well there). Gaudette could be tried on the 2nd before he likely settles in on the 3rd. Pearson could be suited anywhere in the middle 6. Miller top 6. I honestly believe we see Sutter do just fine as 3c this season. Eriksson - who knows. 2nd... 3rd... 4th. Sure - play Benn and Tanev on the pk. Bet they'd be a force. If not, play Tanev or even Benn exclusively with Hughes. Whatever ends up working.

We have options across the board, and we should assume Green will certainly make tweaks as required.

These are exciting times, and if Green does fine the combos that work, this team is gonna turn some heads. My boyz in the big league. Gonna knock 'em dead.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Lack of scoring in the bottom 6, eh?

Well, we do have this one guy that we sent down to Utica. He picked up 4 points in 5 preseason games and showed great chemistry with one of our young bottom 6 forwards. Has also averaged more than a .5 PPG pace in the NHL over his past 3 seasons. 

Moving Baertschi down was the correct move to make.    Baertschi doesn’t kill penalties, is soft, and isn’t great defensively.   The Canucks wanted and needed a 3rd line that was faster, more physical, and tougher to play against.

• Cheers 2

Ferland is a good fit for Pettersson and Boeser:  

Thank you for the feedback folks.   I just want to address one point from above.   Some posters seem to believe that I don’t think Ferland will be a good fit for the top line.   That’s not what I was trying to say however.  I think Ferland will be a good fit, and we already saw evidence of chemistry between Ferland and Pettersson during pre-season.

My thinking is this however:   Why have a good first line when you can have a great one instead?      JT Miller is a better hockey player than Michael Ferland.   

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser is a good first line, but I wonder how this line will stack up against the top lines and top defensive pairings of other upper echelon teams.  Obviously, the Canucks need to actually play about 7-10 games before we have a big enough sample size to analyze, but my gut feeling tells me that our first line will need a little more prowess

I don’t want to have just a “good” first line.   I want something that can come close to being as good as the WCE......or Sedin-Sedin-Burrows.

Hence, my suggestion of placing Miller on the top line.