The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Potential weaknesses in the Canucks line-up, and how to overcome them

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

7 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Serious questions here:

What kind of money, and what kind of term do you see for this?

Isn't this the sort of situation that the team would want Hughes to grow in to, and wouldn't then having this other guy on a longer term deal cut in to Hughes long term development? Plus, if there is concern over the Eriksson caphit and re-signing the team's future RFAs/UFAs, how does that problem go away with this UFA d-man signing? Trading the guy when he is no longer wanted isn't always as simple a solution as some make it out to be.

And if the idea would be to offer a shorter term, then isn't there a good chance that the UFA would look elsewhere, or demand a much greater amount of money than the team might want to spend?

regards,  G.

No, I don't see Hughes as that player. I see Hughes as a Tory Krug, Ryan Ellis, Erik Karlsson (lite) type. I was talking more along the lines of a Prime Dan Hamhuis, Vlassic, Suter, etc type of guy. Hughes could be a top pair offensive defence man, but I think we still need another, two-way, top pair D. A guy who loves to shut down top forwards and can also move the puck well and skate. Honestly just someone to replace Edler. Though he had a great year last season, he's getting on in age and will likely have declined (if not retired) by the time Hughes is in his prime.

I also think TJ miller should be on the first line.

Ferland is just not as skilled at playmaking I feel. And his physicality can be better suited to playing shutdown, and scoring threat role.

Also think Miller is better defensively and can help peterson and boeser on D and puck possesion.

Also really like Tanev with Hughes.. shelters hughes a bit and allows him to be offensive. Im very impressed with Hughes so far, I think we have a gem here.

Edited by TheNewGM
  • Upvote 1

Ferland-Gaudette-Miller

I have an idea that’s *way* out there, but if the idea were to be successful, the following would be achieved:

1) The Canucks would have three good scoring lines.

2) Gaudette would be maximized and properly insulated at the NHL level (and given the quality of his linemates, would be given the best chance to grow).

#####-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-#####

Ferland-Gaudette-Miller

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

The expectation would be that the chemistry of Pettersson/Boeser and Pearson/Horvat would be enough to carry their respective lines.

IF (and this is a big IF obviously) guys like Eriksson, Leivo, Virtanen, Sutter, Baertschi, and Goldobin could be decent players on those top two lines, then the Canucks could conceivably have three good scoring lines.

If the Canucks are to become elite at some point, I believe they will need either two dominant/elite scoring lines, or three “very good” scoring lines.

Personally, I’d try the following:

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Ferland-Gaudette-Miller

Leivo-Beagle-Sutter

Put Eriksson and Virtanen in roles where they can score and produce with good linemates.  If these players start producing, the Canucks would then have options, in terms of keeping them or trading them while their values have increased under protected minutes/roles (think:  Hodgson and Kassian).

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Wat 1

13 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Ferland-Gaudette-Miller

I have an idea that’s *way* out there, but if the idea were to be successful, the following would be achieved:

1) The Canucks would have three good scoring lines.

2) Gaudette would be maximized and properly insulated at the NHL level (and given the quality of his linemates, would be given the best chance to grow).

#####-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-#####

Ferland-Gaudette-Miller

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

The expectation would be that the chemistry of Pettersson/Boeser and Pearson/Horvat would be enough to carry their respective lines.

IF (and this is a big IF obviously) guys like Eriksson, Leivo, Virtanen, Sutter, Baertschi, and Goldobin could be decent players on those top two lines, then the Canucks could conceivably have three good scoring lines.

If the Canucks are to become elite at some point, I believe they will need either two dominant/elite scoring lines, or three “very good” scoring lines.

Personally, I’d try the following:

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Ferland-Gaudette-Miller

Leivo-Beagle-Sutter

Put Eriksson and Virtanen in roles where they can score and produce with good linemates.  If these players start producing, the Canucks would then have options, in terms of keeping them or trading them while their values have increased under protected minutes/roles (think:  Hodgson and Kassian).

How did you go from talking about "very good" scoring lines to putting Eriksson on the second line?  I see the big IF, but if you have to capitalize IF, you're probably already halfway there to realizing it won't work.  I think the Canucks already have 2-3 very good lines.....but in order to be elite, they'll need one elite line and two other very good scoring lines, plus a stellar D and solid goaltending.  They're handcuffed until Eriksson, Sutter and Luongo are off of the pay books but then I see them being able to add some extra scoring (which will time well with Podkolzin).

3 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

How did you go from talking about "very good" scoring lines to putting Eriksson on the second line?  I see the big IF, but if you have to capitalize IF, you're probably already halfway there to realizing it won't work.  I think the Canucks already have 2-3 very good lines.....but in order to be elite, they'll need one elite line and two other very good scoring lines, plus a stellar D and solid goaltending.  They're handcuffed until Eriksson, Sutter and Luongo are off of the pay books but then I see them being able to add some extra scoring (which will time well with Podkolzin).

We can hate on Eriksson all we want, but the fact of the matter is that Eriksson has been a known for producing on scoring lines in the past, provided that he’s not THE alpha of that line (or the main driver of play).  Eriksson has been the ultimate passenger in the past (think - Boston with Krejcki).

I think it’s worth experimenting with.   Eriksson will never produce consistently on a bottom 6 role, so why not try him on Horvat’s line?

48 minutes ago, TheNewGM said:

I also think TJ miller should be on the first line.

Ferland is just not as skilled at playmaking I feel. And his physicality can be better suited to playing shutdown, and scoring threat role.

Also think Miller is better defensively and can help peterson and boeser on D and puck possesion.

Also really like Tanev with Hughes.. shelters hughes a bit and allows him to be offensive. Im very impressed with Hughes so far, I think we have a gem here.

Can't agree enough.  TJ has already earned first line  time in my eyes.  I like the protective  effect of Ferland on the  first line but the more I think about it, Ferland's likely more effective when he can be physical and playing with Petey would probably have him thinking more about the playmaking than him playing his own game.

Brock - Petey - TJ

Pearson - Horvat - Ferland

Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen

Eriksson - Sutter - Beagle

Swap Eriksson with Roussel when he  returns. 

2 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

We can hate on Eriksson all we want, but the fact of the matter is that Eriksson has been a known for producing on scoring lines in the past, provided that he’s not THE alpha of that line (or the main driver of play).  Eriksson has been the ultimate passenger in the past (think - Boston with Krejcki).

I think it’s worth experimenting with.   Eriksson will never produce consistently on a bottom 6 role, so why not try him on Horvat’s line?

When Loui was younger, he was solid.  I'll give you that.  He's not younger though.  This isn't hate.   This is reality.  He's not playing like a 20-something year old.  Horvat's been through enough with revolving teammates.  Let him play with guys that earn it at this point.  Eriksson hasn't earned anything yet and it's been 3 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

When Loui was younger, he was solid.  I'll give you that.  He's not younger though.  This isn't hate.   This is reality.  He's not playing like a 20-something year old.  Horvat's been through enough with revolving teammates.  Let him play with guys that earn it at this point.  Eriksson hasn't earned anything yet and it's been 3 years.

I do agree to a certain extent, but we haven’t really seen Eriksson get an extended look on a scoring line during his time with Vancouver.   He looked decent at the World’s with Pettersson this past summer did he not?  

Horvat is a little “Krejcki-esque” in his playing style and so I don’t think it’s too farfetched to believe that Eriksson would be able to produce on that line once he got comfortable there.

I think it would be worth experimenting with anyways.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:35 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Holly Crap!

We don't need Green or Benning

We got Hindustan Smyl

I am amazed that Edmonton did not scoop you up before we could signed you

I would just like to apoligize to Hindustan Smyl for being such a smart ass

I think you were premature in you evaluation and I responded by being sarcastic

I was being funny at your expense....

My apologies!

• Cheers 1

On 10/4/2019 at 12:58 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

I do agree to a certain extent, but we haven’t really seen Eriksson get an extended look on a scoring line during his time with Vancouver.   He looked decent at the World’s with Pettersson this past summer did he not?  

Horvat is a little “Krejcki-esque” in his playing style and so I don’t think it’s too farfetched to believe that Eriksson would be able to produce on that line once he got comfortable there.

I think it would be worth experimenting with anyways.

It was a fail when he was added to the Sedins for the Canucks but not prior to that (Worlds?).  Sedins could make anyone look great except an older Eriksson.  But hey, sure, give it a whirl with Horvat.  It will be a kick in the teeth to all other players outplaying Loui which sends a bad message though.  For example, if a younger, quicker Virtanen can't get ice time with Bo due to lack of effort, then why should Loui get time on that line?  At least with someone like Virt you could suggest that we want to see some chemistry develop so there's a future there for many years.  I'm good with neither player getting that chance right now because "TJ" :) is playing better and deserves it.  Same with Pearson.

• Cheers 1

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser

It's still *way* too early to make any kind of judgement, but the Canucks' top line does need a swift kick to the bum.   They need to get going.    I say 'put all the eggs in one basket,' and see how it goes.     

I mentioned this idea before, but lets see how Gaudette does with more ice-time and with strong linemates.     Playing limited bottom 6 minutes may not be the most conducive for his game. 

Experiment with the following:

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Miller

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Leivo

Eriksson 

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

2 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser

It's still *way* too early to make any kind of judgement, but the Canucks' top line does need a swift kick to the bum.   They need to get going.    I say 'put all the eggs in one basket,' and see how it goes.     

I mentioned this idea before, but lets see how Gaudette does with more ice-time and with strong linemates.     Playing limited bottom 6 minutes may not be the most conducive for his game. 

Experiment with the following:

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Miller

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Leivo

Eriksson 

I think Petey's staying at C. Gaudette fits the wing way better too. I'd rather Have Gaudette RW Horvat's line and maybe swap Miller/Ferland.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think Petey's staying at C. Gaudette fits the wing way better too. I'd rather Have Gaudette RW Horvat's line and maybe swap Miller/Ferland.

I've always been an advocate of Miller-Pettersson-Boeser.

These guys played one game together during the pre-season did they not?    Granted, it was only pre-season, but they looked pretty good together.    

Gaudette playing with Horvat and Pearson is a nice idea, but I don't think Green wants to play Gaudette on the wing.  It was either Green or a sports analyst that drew an analogy to a starting pitcher in baseball (center), that is converted into a relief pitcher (winger) out of short term convenience.   The point being that a Starting pitcher (center) is a valuable commodity and that developing said person in said role is of vital importance.

I like Ferland-Sutter-Virtanen though.   

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I've always been an advocate of Miller-Pettersson-Boeser.

These guys played one game together during the pre-season did they not?    Granted, it was only pre-season, but they looked pretty good together.    

Gaudette playing with Horvat and Pearson is a nice idea, but I don't think Green wants to play Gaudette on the wing.  It was either Green or a sports analyst that drew an analogy to a starting pitcher in baseball (center), that is converted into a relief pitcher (winger) out of short term convenience.   The point being that a Starting pitcher (center) is a valuable commodity and that developing said person in said role is of vital importance.

I like Ferland-Sutter-Virtanen though.   

A few games in, a couple zeros and a PP that can’t score ... the deck is definitely getting shuffled soon if it keeps up.  

We outplayed EDM clearly - win for McDavid.   CAL it could have gone either way though, the good signs from that is we kept up with one of the leagues top teams last year (and goaltending is/was their only weakness, two games in and both goalies for them have had solid games),  Rittich had other ideas.   Also on the shot count - ten from Hughes and Myers last night  (that hit the net, 4 and 6) - that’s super refreshing, it’s a promising sign that offense from the defense is coming. Myers hits on one every 17 shots or so, Edler one every 36 shots (that’s our past right there) .... IF Hughes is as good as he’s supposed to be, one out of 10-12 maybe possible.  

The two could add 10 goals to our overall between them, last year that would have made a big difference. 

Its going to take the rest of the month for things to settle in, once Roussel is back and if everyone is still healthy, lines will become more set and established.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

A few games in, a couple zeros and a PP that can’t score ... the deck is definitely getting shuffled soon if it keeps up.  

We outplayed EDM clearly - win for McDavid.   CAL it could have gone either way though, the good signs from that is we kept up with one of the leagues top teams last year (and goaltending is/was their only weakness, two games in and both goalies for them have had solid games),  Rittich had other ideas.   Also on the shot count - ten from Hughes and Myers last night  (that hit the net, 4 and 6) - that’s super refreshing, it’s a promising sign that offense from the defense is coming. Myers hits on one every 17 shots or so, Edler one every 36 shots (that’s our past right there) .... IF Hughes is as good as he’s supposed to be, one out of 10-12 maybe possible.  

The two could add 10 goals to our overall between them, last year that would have made a big difference. 

Its going to take the rest of the month for things to settle in, once Roussel is back and if everyone is still healthy, lines will become more set and established.

Taking Horvat off the top unit was a mistake. I definitely want Newell Brown to go back to his "Load up the top unit" ways. Add JT Miller to the top unit and have Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, and Hughes on it. Let Gaudette run the second unit. Give him Edler and Tyler Myers to play with on the back end and cycle out his wingers until they find something that works for the 30 seconds or so when they're on the ice. I'd almost put Sutter on that unit too if they're starting out the powerplay and we're needing to hold possession for the 1st unit to come out.

I feel that the Canucks have really gained in the speed department. However, I feel that this Chicken**** drop pass style removes any speed we have as an advantage.  If you’re gonna wheel then wheel... don’t wind it up just to drop the puck before Center. 

- lack of innovation and drop passing to death is what’s killing us right now. 

Miller-Pettersson-Pearson

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussell-Beagle-Sutter

Feel like this could be a good option. Reunite the BHB line. Miller is a much better puck handler than Pete's current linemates.

Third scoring line.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Miller-Pettersson-Pearson

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussell-Beagle-Sutter

Feel like this could be a good option. Reunite the BHB line. Miller is a much better puck handler than Pete's current linemates.

Third scoring line.

Nice work! This is exactly where we need to go. Third scoring line that can also lay the body. This to me is a much more balanced lineup.

Get it done, Green!!