The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The athletic projects the Canucks 26th overall?

Rate this topic

cuporbust

I noticed the predictions in the paper this morning. All of the media people picked who they thought would win the Cup, Calder, most improved team etc.

Kuzma picked Quinn to the win Calder and the Canucks as most improved team. None of the other 23 voted for VAN in any catagory. Of course they're all saying TB will win it all. One guy even had the Sharks winning the President's Trophy lol, I didn' know non-playoff teams could do that

It's all guessing by these people, we (CDC) could probably do a similar job with our guesses. Maybe they figured it's taken TOR 50+ years to rebuild, so the Canucks couldn't possibly be ready to compete again already? Could they? Yep.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Almost exclusively because of injuries.  Year after year they show they can play with anyone when they play healthy........the problem is the catastrophic injuries that hit every single year.  No team would be able to weather those kinds of injuries and stay competitive, let alone a rebuilding team.

This year we have much better depth, regardless of injuries. Sure, being top 3 in the league for Cap Hit of Injured Players for a 4th straight season will certainly put us much closer to not making the playoffs than making them, but even then, last year we finished 23rd in the league, and we've significantly improved since then.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cookieeater55 said:

why is minny so high on that list :picard:

Their top-4 Ds is one of the best in the league - a coach talking to LeBrun was calling them elite this week.  Even with Dumba injured they were still the team that allowed the least mid-to-high scoring chances against.  When all 4 were healthy a season ago they were a 200pt D-corps just behind Nashville.  Dumba is healthy and it will allow them to spend more time on the attack.

• Upvote 1

People are overrating the Rangers I think. Their defence as a whole is still weak. Lundqvist and Gorgiev aren't above average goalies. After Panarin/Zib their O still leaves a lot to be desired.

They'll be a really good team in a few years, but not this year.

On the other hand Minny is being faded hard by people for no reason. Glad they're up there on this one.

Edited by mephnick

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not on The Athletic's list.  They were ranked rather low until the second half of the season.   This guy updates his list weekly as more numbers come in for him to work with.

He had them middle of the pack to start last season with a 50% probability of making the playoffs - 4th in the Central and 8th in the West on 3 October 2018.

Just now, mll said:

He had them middle of the pack to start last season with a 50% probability of making the playoffs - 4th in the Central and 8th in the West on 3 October 2018.

Isn't there some statistic that teams in the top 16 on American Thanksgiving make the playoffs, minus two of them?  Once the games start getting played, these final standing predictions don't count for nothing IMO.  Make a prediction before the games start, and that's it.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder how using just a team's plus/minus (goals for v goals against) could reflect a chart, and if it would be pretty similar to the one this guy created?   Maybe it's pretty close, and an equally decent predictor of where teams (based on last year's stats) will finish?  Although, if this person is only using numbers from last season, how does that take into account the changes teams make over the summer? 

The numbers are compiled off the projected opening lineup - taking into account the off-season moves.  Each player has a certain value based on his numbers of the past 3 seasons and making an adjustment for age and usage.  He then runs a simulation over 50'000 times with each teams lineup and factoring in schedule, rest, home/road games to come up with a projection of the season.  

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Almost exclusively because of injuries.  Year after year they show they can play with anyone when they play healthy........the problem is the catastrophic injuries that hit every single year.  No team would be able to weather those kinds of injuries and stay competitive, let alone a rebuilding team.

You can't blame injuries year after year after year and act like the Canucks are the only team that gets injured. Saying we've sucked year after year almost exclusively because of injuries is one of the most ridiculous excuse one could come up with IMO. Our defense hasn't been by far the most offensively inept defense just because of injuries. Our bottom 6 hasn't had by far the worst goal differential in the NHL just because of injuries. And so on.

Even if the Canucks are injured more often than most teams, that's reflective of the team and not just luck. A team with Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi etc... is definitively injury prone and that should be a factor into accounting for predictions as well.

1 minute ago, Grape said:

You can't blame injuries year after year after year and act like the Canucks are the only team that gets injured. Saying we've sucked year after year almost exclusively because of injuries is one of the most ridiculous excuse one could come up with IMO. Our defense hasn't been by far the most offensively inept defense just because of injuries. Our bottom 6 hasn't had by far the worst goal differential in the NHL just because of injuries. And so on.

Even if the Canucks are injured more often than most teams, that's reflective of the team and not just luck. A team with Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi etc... is definitively injury prone and that should be a factor into accounting for predictions as well.

The Canucks have been top 3 in injuries each of the last three years I believe.  You can absolutely blame injuries if it's key, long term injuries year after year

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys . Not sure what these guys are drinking over at the athletic,  but they are not exactly projecting the Canucks to make a step forward this season.  Thoughts ? 

With the additions this offseason I don't see how our team finishes worse than last year. Baring massive keys injuries (it has to at least slow down sometime) I see this team in the running for the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Looks like JB has to earn it.  This is his team, 100%.  He did all a GM could do this off season to improve the roster, which he did.  

Greater depth hopefully will keep the injury attrition down to a reasonable level this year.  

Improved areas:

Goal.  Markstrom after his season last year plus Demko in the NHL is a big improvement over last year.  Bonus, Dipietro, Bachman and Kielly are also on plane ticket away.  Depth is there. 

Caveat, can Markstrom maintain his level of play and can Demko show that hard work in the minors has paid off.  

Defence.  Worst part of our line up last year.  Greatly improved with the additions of Hughes, Myers, Benn and Fattenburg.  Bonus, depth has improved both on the NHL club and in Utica.  

Caveat, hopefully Myers doesn't Eriksson his deal.  Hughes will have alot of eyes on him this year.  Can he live up to the hype.  The season will tell.  

Forwards.  Again greatly improved.  Mille, Ferland and Pearson could be our second line. (Bo, Ep40 and Brock would be a deadly first line)  In other words, we have a second line this year.  Ep40 will have support, Brock will have support, Bo will have support.  

6 top 6 players with youth up and down the lineup.  Would love to see a legit tough as nails guy in our bottom six, but ridiculous depth in the bottom 6 along with an emerging Gaudette. 

Caveat, a sophomore slump out of Ep40 would stall any hope of the playoffs.  Virtannen has taken a step backwards, Baer is in Utica and Eriksson is still here.  

More than enough depth to see this team thru injuries.  

Coaching.  Green has his team.  No excuses and he needs to be part scientist and part alchemist to bring it all together.  The parts are there, can the sum be greater?  Chemistry will be vital to seeing this team into the playoffs. 

Caveat.  Green has the right approach IMO, but will it work with the players he has. The season will tell.  

Management.  JB has done everything to improve this club this off season.  The team has gotten deeper, bigger, younger and has the speed and skill to compete. 

Caveat.  Can our young players continue to improve?  Does Hughes bring the needed transition game to our roster.  Can he be the catalyst to increase productivity from.our top 6.  

Again, youth is unpredictable and no one can really say where this team will end up.  So many wildcards.  This team has so many unproven components that we could finish anywhere from last to just outside the top 10.  

Guess that is why they play the games...  let the season begin.  

37 minutes ago, Grape said:

I'd like to see how Toronto would have done with Marner, Kadri, and Reilly out for significant time.  Or Calgary without Gaudreau, Backlund, and Giordano.

We're still barely a bubble team but we're better than what they suggest.  Toronto at 2nd with that defence blows this out of the water.  

I'd take their predictions to the nearest bookie and place $100 against it to make the playoffs

5 hours ago, Run n Gun said:

For the past 4 years...

The media have had low projections for the Nucks. Followed by outrage from these very message boards.... yet the Nucks have continually proven that they are a bottom feeding team.

Will this year be different? I sure hope so... but I can also see why projections for the team are all over the place for this year. 

Let's not get our panties in a bunch, folks.

That's not how I remember it... I remember the Canucks being chosen as a dead-last finisher and most of the "outrage" was around the narrative that the club was so poorly run there was no hope for improvement.  Instead of focusing on the positives, the media labelled this group as a bunch of dysfunctional misfits who hadn't even started "rebuilding."

Every season the Canucks kept themselves out of the basement despite (in hindsight) having half-AHL (or guys who ended up in Europe) rosters... it doesn't take much for me to assume if we bring the effort of those crappy years and combine it with the influx (both internal and external) of skill/talent that we should be in wildcard contention this season.  It doesn't surprise me that the media are still clinging to that narrative after being so invested in it.. and let's face it:  no-one is going to believe in you until AFTER you prove them wrong.  Still, I don't blame fans for getting prickly at the continued crap we get from sites like the Athletic.  Big reason I don't pay for a subscription despite consuming a lot of hockey talk.

• Upvote 1

I don’t see us making the playoffs this year. I don’t think we will be 26th but at the same time I don’t see a huge change from last year. We lack depth and one injury can really set us back..

Edited by kurtis