The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petersons new skate radius

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

20 minutes ago, TheNewGM said:

I think Peterson should go back to his old blade, he looked a little unsteady in that game, not like he needed to change, maybe more distraction now then its worth??

Have you ever skated on a different radius? Its not that big of a change, and he's probably used it most of the off-season. 

I just don't think he was ready to play against McDavid all night

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Have you ever skated on a different radius? Its not that big of a change, and he's probably used it most of the off-season. 

I just don't think he was ready to play against McDavid all night

LOL have you? It makes a huge difference. The change in radius where it makes him more agile means his skates dig into the ice more. The trade off is that his speed will be lowered because he can't glide as much with the change in radius. 

3 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

LOL have you? It makes a huge difference. The change in radius where it makes him more agile means his skates dig into the ice more. The trade off is that his speed will be lowered because he can't glide as much with the change in radius. 

Ah yes I get all my hockey knowledge from EA Sports NHL Be A Pro as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bitter Melon said:

Ah yes I get all my hockey knowledge from EA Sports NHL Be A Pro as well.

It’s not really a matter of science...

It’s strictly about being your most comfortable on the ice.

Guys are weird about certain gear.
I appreciate athletes that are that in tune with their craft. Starting with the skates seems like a good idea.

4 minutes ago, nergish said:

It’s not really a matter of science...

It’s strictly about being your most comfortable on the ice.

Guys are weird about certain gear.
I appreciate athletes that are that in tune with their craft. Starting with the skates seems like a good idea.

For sure. However if he changed the skate radius he clearly did so for a reason. And he practiced all summer with it. If Petey had a perceived poor performance it likely had more to do with a hundred other things, as its been pointed the radius has a pretty small impact on actual skating ability. Its largely a preference thing. Blaming the skate blade is just silly. You could just as easily claim its because his pads aren't broken in yet.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1

Ok really? Does it really matter when your "trying" to keep up to McDavid?  If anyone tries he needs a whole lot of leg strength that takes a LOT of work to get to and just changing skates might help in a very small way but it's just splitting hairs when it comes to a guy that fast and agile.. even Petey, as fast as he is too, isn't there yet but maybe in the next 1-2 yrs of training and added in a speed skating coach to push him but you have to love the compete level of someone who would even think of maybe skates would eventually make enough a difference in the first place! 

2 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

I think Peterson should go back to his old blade, he looked a little unsteady in that game, not like he needed to change, maybe more distraction now then its worth??

Perhaps you can share your thoughts on the subject in the existing thread rather than make a new one. Not really enough substance here to justify a new thread. 

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/391134-article-a-change-in-skate-profile-could-make-elias-pettersson-even-harder-to-handle-next-season/

Otherwise, there’s always the Pettersson thread:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/382800-elias-pettersson-40-c/

Cheers. 

• Thanks 1