The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Logo “Tweaking”

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

3 hours ago, arsenalian said:

I’ll never understand this logic. By this logic if we had the skate back, which seems to be what the majority opposed to the Orca want, would we have to change the name to Vancouver Spaghetti Skates?

And you are implying that you are using logic by saying an Orca is a Canuck???

An Orca is a fish.

I don’t see it your way!

This team lost it identity a long time ago.

Edited by wildwood12
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

An Orca is a fish.

I don’t see it your way!

I don’t mind the orca jerseys.  I think the colours are nice too.  I completely accept the symbol has zero to do with the team though.  I hated the colours of the skate and V.  I found them putrid.  The original stick in rink forming the C for Canuck was ingenious with its simplicity.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We may be the only team who's jersey doesn’t reflect  the team name.

If you're speaking strictly NHL -

Boston has a "B" but has nothing to do with bears.

Columbus is basically just a flag around a star but at least it could loosely resemble a "blue jacket".

Montreal just has a "C" which is basically the equivalent to us having a C-shaped Orca.

And the Caps logo doesn't have a capital in it.

Perhaps we should just change the name to the Vancouver Comets, and use this sweet logo?

team_AHL_utica_commets.png

2 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

An Orca is a fish.

I don’t see it your way!

Actually, no.  An Orca is a warm blooded mammal. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

If you're speaking strictly NHL -

Boston has a "B" but has nothing to do with bears.

Columbus is basically just a flag around a star but at least it could loosely resemble a "blue jacket".

Montreal just has a "C" which is basically the equivalent to us having a C-shaped Orca.

And the Caps logo doesn't have a capital in it.

Perhaps we should just change the name to the Vancouver Comets, and use this sweet logo?

team_AHL_utica_commets.png

At least the Bruins is just a big B and Montreals logo stands for Canadiens Hockey. The whale just makes no sense to me (yes i  know its shaped as a C) it has nothing to do with the Canucks or hockey.

Washingtons logo I guess doesn’t reflect their name especially since capitals all lower case but you could argue with the colors it reflects their name and the stick is for hockey.

Bottom line for me, i hate the orca.

PS: The Comets logo is sweet.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 2

Keeping the whale logo has saved me $ not having to buy a bunch of Canuck swag. I just do NOT like the logo, personal choice. Some will like it some won't, I am in the dislike category.

Logo was totally done when Orca Bay was in charge. Canucks have 0 to do with it before McCaw was owner and they changed things up in a big/terrible way with a new logo and bringing in the 2 Slums: Keenan/Messier

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

Go all the way then and call the team the Vancouver ORCAS

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

YES.  So with that being said, we are now called the Vancouver Whales.

7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Keeping the whale logo has saved me $ not having to buy a bunch of Canuck swag. I just do NOT like the logo, personal choice. Some will like it some won't, I am in the dislike category.

Logo was totally done when Orca Bay was in charge. Canucks have 0 to do with it before McCaw was owner and they changed things up in a big/terrible way with a new logo and bringing in the 2 Slums: Keenan/Messier

FINALLY. Common sense prevails.

The real reason why the Aquilinis kept the corporate Orca is because it $$costs$$ too much to change the primary. Tweaking like removing the maroon and adding the "VANCOUVER" wordmark in '07 and then removing the wordmark and increasing the size of the Orca on the current new jersey doesn't cost as much as changing the primary mark all together. It's also a lot cheaper to use the sterile and weak Agency font than use the traditional Athletic block font with bordering. This ridiculous baloney about the "new generation of fans" and "Indigenous to the area", is what it is...ridiculous baloney.

If only Tom Gaglardi and Ryan Beetie got the franchise, the Orca would've been history a long time ago.

• Wat 1

The main take away from the article is that the Orca isn't going anywhere and that's a good thing.  A tweak would be interesting but honestly, the Canucks have never looked better in their 50 history than they do right now.

I don't see why the Orca not containing green is such a big deal either.  The thick green stripes do more than balance the uniform and the numbers don't feature green either so it's not like a green-less logo looks entirely out of place.  Many other teams don't use every colour in both their striping configurations and logos.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Ummm...no.   Not every team needs to be like CHI, with a Blackhawk (one of the most cherished and favourite logos in team sports - that no way anyone would allow in today’s day and age of political correctness)... what do the Bruins have? A  weird B...the NYR?  The NYI? NJ Devils (where’s the devil I can’t figure that one out)  Vancouver has its own brand of an Orca in the shape of a C... not too hard to figure out - even the original logo was a C but was hard for low browers to figure out - and now the highbrowers like it the most out of all our various unis - took about 45 years to get there but it’s he only version of any of our uniforms ranked in the top half of the league.   We don’t need to be called the Orcas (and if we ever do I might seriously consider stop rooting for the team ) to be the Canucks - just like we don’t need a logger on skates logo to be called a Canuck (which outside the country is slang for any Canadian - might as well call ourselves Vancouver Canadians then and have Lucky Lagers avatar for our logo, you know a couple hosers with toques on it).

Everyone identifies to the logo that teams they fell in love with at the beginning for the most part.   All of ours have had a C or a V somewhere in them.

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Maybe tweak it so it looks like a male whale than a female whale - or at least go half way - maybe a trans whale that way all the bases are covered.

Hilarious.  If we are going to go there then we might as well make it look more like a whale then a crunchy flying fish too.  Maybe get rid of the native art and have a cartoon of a killer whale like SJ - or just so everyone really gets it a photoshopped picture in detail of an orca at some theme park (where

most have seen one) - maybe jumping out of the water or getting fed some tuna by a babe in a bikini.   Then no confusion at all to what it exactly is we are looking at.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1