The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. cabinet minister Jinny Sims resigns amid RCMP investigation

Dazzle

So, rather than turn a blind eye to this, how do we fix this?  Whats the solution?  Whom, that has a voice or leverage right now, is going to help the people right corruption?  

Half the politicians in this city should be locked up, yet some how they are getting away with it.  Are the judges and rcmp being paid off?

16 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Every single politician is sub human scum. Always have been always will be. It takes a special kind of being to want to be a politician. All sold their soul. 

They way you exaggerate and pander here makes you look pretty special too.

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Amid all this torch burning and pitchfork waving does anyone know what she's being investigated for, let alone whether she's guilty of it?

This.

The investigation is ongoing.  From what I have read, the complaint hasn't been revealed.

If there is adequate evidence indicating wrongdoing, then justice should be served.  Not all politicians are corrupt inept pos.  Investigate:  Yes please.  Rush to judgement like a number of posters in this thread have: No thanks.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, samurai said:

They way you exaggerate and pander here makes you look pretty special too.

What is there to exaggerate about in regards to my statement about politicians? You genuinely believe politicians can be grouped into the same category as everyone else? Most people would disagree with you.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Amid all this torch burning and pitchfork waving does anyone know what she's being investigated for, let alone whether she's guilty of it?

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

This.

The investigation is ongoing.  From what I have read, the complaint hasn't been revealed.

If there is adequate evidence indicating wrongdoing, then justice should be served.  Not all politicians are corrupt inept pos.  Investigate:  Yes please.  Rush to judgement like a number of posters in this thread have: No thanks.

Jinny Sims wouldn't be the type to resign unless she really knew she was going to lose.

Absolutely investigate but there is a really good reason she is resigning, and it's not because she "doesn't want to be a distraction". 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Thank for posting @Dazzle

What’s that biblical story about saving a city if Lot can find just five good people?  Politics reminds me of that.  Can we find just five good and honest ones?  

You'd have to go a long way back in history to do that. The problem always comes down to power. Many politicians are "good and honest" until they become part of the government in office. That's when temptation, old school wink wink, nudge nudge and plain browbeating from the top comes into play. There are very few with the intestinal fortitude to combat that. Quite frankly I've often wondered if I could myself, given those circumstances.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, ynwa said:

You'd have to go a long way back in history to do that. The problem always comes down to power. Many politicians are "good and honest" until they become part of the government in office. That's when temptation, old school wink wink, nudge nudge and plain browbeating from the top comes into play. There are very few with the intestinal fortitude to combat that. Quite frankly I've often wondered if I could myself, given those circumstances.

A serious question for you, ynwa:  How do you know that there are "very few" politicians with the intestinal fortitude to resist corruption?  Have you had a career in politics and are speaking from first hand experience?  Do you have evidence that the majority of politicians are crooked?

I'm not trying to be a dick about this, nor am I singling you out.  But I'm geniunely surprised at the tone in this thread by a fair number of people.  Politicians are an easy group to attack these days  (one of the few) but are these attacks based on facts or are people just repeating some unfounded "common wisdom" ? 

50 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

What is there to exaggerate about in regards to my statement about politicians? You genuinely believe politicians can be grouped into the same category as everyone else? Most people would disagree with you.  

First, all different types of people from all different kinds of backgrounds enter into politics. So your belief that there are 2 types of people in the world is nonsense.   

People who say all Politicians are Crooks are like those who say that all Cops are a$$holes or that all Priests are Pedophiles.

There are good politicians and there are crooked politicians, just like there are good businessmen and crooked businessmen.

What a lot of people confuse with crookedness is the fact that Politicians will make lots of promises and then not deliver on all those promises.

Of course, no Politician can deliver on all his promises... But we expect Politicians to promise us the moon, so why are we surprised when they don't deliver?

The fact is, democratic government, although the best method for humans to organize themselves, is far from perfect... because humans are far from perfect.

Government, even when conducted honestly, is the act of compromise... there are never perfect solutions, only a series of possible imperfect solutions.

And every government has its key supporters, who expect to get their backs scratched because they were there at the start.  A good government is one who can say no to their own supporters when its clear what is being asked is not for the greater good.

What people need to beware the most of is a Politician who say they are the only person who can do the job... everyone else is a liar...  guys who say they are special and will completely change everything... and you just need to trust them.

The guys who use a lot of catch phrases like '...drain the swamp'. or '... "Make ? Great Again".  Or those who suggest their opponents are traitors, subhumans, inferior, etc.

That is what Hitler and Mussolini used to peddle... now we have a certain orange clown spewing out the same line south of the border... and he has created a bigger swamp there than ever.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

I gotta laugh when people on this board expect perfect results from government.

Look at how many arguments there are over how exactly which is the best way the Canucks should be managed and coached... which is an organization of maybe 50 players and 100 employees with one arena.  Management has the relatively simple task of putting together a competitive team.

Compare that to the complexities of managing government... which has to deal with 100,000 employees and billions of dollars... 100's of hospitals, maintaining bridges, roads, ferries, and all the dozens of other departments... do you think this is a little more demanding and maybe difficult to get exactly right?

Yeah, we need to hold government to account... and we need to throw the book at those who are corrupt, but to suggest that all politicians are idiots is to completely underestimate the magnitude of the task we give them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I gotta laugh when people on this board expect perfect results from government.

Look at how many arguments there are over how exactly which is the best way the Canucks should be managed and coached... which is an organization of maybe 50 players and 100 employees with one arena.  Management has the relatively simple task of putting together a competitive team.

Compare that to the complexities of managing government... which has to deal with 100,000 employees and billions of dollars... 100's of hospitals, maintaining bridges, roads, ferries, and all the dozens of other departments... do you think this is a little more demanding and maybe difficult to get exactly right?

Yeah, we need to hold government to account... and we need to throw the book at those who are corrupt, but to suggest that all politicians are idiots is to completely underestimate the magnitude of the task we give them.

It's not that we demand "perfect results", at least from my point of view. This thread was to talk about Jinny Sims, and ONLY Jinny Sims alone. I don't care what party she represents because, frankly, I don't believe she follows any party lines other than her own. The serious accusations about her supposedly taking money in exchange for immigration/votes somehow made her resign. If they weren't true, why did she have to resign? Don't actually believe the "I don't want to be a distraction" excuse.

Trump is a major distraction in politics. It sure didn't stop him from continuing to be president. What's more likely is that Sims knows she is on her last life of her cat lives. She knows if she doesn't resign, she'll be forced to when the RCMP investigation digs deeper. At least here she can "save face".

A dirty politician is a dirty politician. It doesn't matter what party, gender, race that person is.

8 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

So, rather than turn a blind eye to this, how do we fix this?  Whats the solution?  Whom, that has a voice or leverage right now, is going to help the people right corruption?  

Half the politicians in this city should be locked up, yet some how they are getting away with it.  Are the judges and rcmp being paid off?

Take away the cookie jars. Spending is insanely out of control, and there is far too much power in the money being spent, and too many people entirely dependent on other people's tax money. Its not sustainable, the debt is already many generations worth of supposed future capital.. how much further do we go? I will say it again, spending is insanely out of control. The amount of money and power in politics has gotten to absurd levels, and it attracts all the wrong kinds of people that should not be in charge of the public welfare. The system is being gamed by mildly competing professional money laundering mafias that pose as political parties.

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

basically she is skirting around the freedom of information act where as all communication has to be recorded for public and goverment access , instead she has used apps and personal email for government  business , since they cant be recorded  it is consider breaking the law   ya so bring the torches   

So are there bleeding hearts over there saying what she was doing was right even if she was breaking the rules? Had a politician over here just recently who was forced to resign for smuggling immigrants into the country, he was taking about 3000 CAD per head, didn’t even get prosecuted even though he was breaking the law, corrupt system.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately.  Much like the other two scandals we won't get much information from it until more information is actually available.  With a special prosecutor appointed that could be a while.

I agree though, I never liked Sims.  She was too willing to throw her own people under the bus in her former life.  Opportunists always look out for #1 first.

But again, I need to point out the hypocrisy here from De Jong and the Libs.  Did Jinny Sims fail to triple delete her paper trail on the BC rail ride to a billion dollar convention centre?  I think politicians who practice such blatant hypocrisy in the name of partisanship should be publicly flogged.

Good for Horgan for removing her as fast as he did.  Any and all government leaders should be that quick to act under allegations like the potential ones levied here.  Suspend and reinstate if proven innocent or cut ties and imprison.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

A serious question for you, ynwa:  How do you know that there are "very few" politicians with the intestinal fortitude to resist corruption?  Have you had a career in politics and are speaking from first hand experience?  Do you have evidence that the majority of politicians are crooked?

I'm not trying to be a dick about this, nor am I singling you out.  But I'm geniunely surprised at the tone in this thread by a fair number of people.  Politicians are an easy group to attack these days  (one of the few) but are these attacks based on facts or are people just repeating some unfounded "common wisdom" ? 

I get your point, and maybe my response was perhaps too large a blanket. No, I haven't had a career in politics, my comments were largely based on information I've had from friends and acquaintances who have been there and others who have been employed by politicians at various levels.

• Upvote 1