The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. cabinet minister Jinny Sims resigns amid RCMP investigation

Dazzle

13 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

So are there bleeding hearts over there saying what she was doing was right even if she was breaking the rules? Had a politician over here just recently who was forced to resign for smuggling immigrants into the country, he was taking about 3000 CAD per head, didn’t even get prosecuted even though he was breaking the law, corrupt system.

I don't know what the bleeding hearts (whoever they may be) are saying.  I was asking if we knew what rule she was accused of breaking.  And once we learned that it might be sensible to wait and see if she's actually convicted of breaking the rule.

• Wat 1

14 hours ago, the grinder said:

basically she is skirting around the freedom of information act where as all communication has to be recorded for public and goverment access , instead she has used apps and personal email for government  business , since they cant be recorded  it is consider breaking the law   ya so bring the torches   

Mr. Google tells me that this may be the issue but, as yet, nothing definite has been mentioned.

Has Mr. Google told you otherwise?

5 hours ago, ynwa said:

I get your point, and maybe my response was perhaps too large a blanket. No, I haven't had a career in politics, my comments were largely based on information I've had from friends and acquaintances who have been there and others who have been employed by politicians at various levels.

Okay, that was what I was referring to - that sweeping generalization about all politicians.  And not just by you but by a few others in this thread.  

56 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Mr. Google tells me that this may be the issue but, as yet, nothing definite has been mentioned.

Has Mr. Google told you otherwise?

she has done it more than once so if she isn't guilty why resign then  ,   oh right not to bring the spotlight on her party .  what a joke  she prolly is still getting paid  as well  

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2019 at 12:03 PM, xereau said:

Maxime Bernier is just too new to know, and he reminds me of giant government 'libertarians' from the US.  He has some interesting rhetoric, but why is he so dogged in pursuing public positions of power?

He has had an interesting taste in girlfriends.  Not her fault though that he left official and/or sensitive documents lying around.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I don't know what the bleeding hearts (whoever they may be) are saying.  I was asking if we knew what rule she was accused of breaking.  And once we learned that it might be sensible to wait and see if she's actually convicted of breaking the rule.

The odd thing is that you're one of the few "bleeding hearts" for Sim. It's embarrassing for anyone to resign. The reason a politician does it is because the heat is onto him/her, and that a scandal of some sort is worse than resigning.

Honestly, if she wasn't guilty of something, she wouldn't have resigned. She could fight it tooth and nail. Instead, she cops out because she must KNOW that she's going to get busted hard.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:59 PM, Alflives said:

Thank for posting @Dazzle

What’s that biblical story about saving a city if Lot can find just five good people?  Politics reminds me of that.  Can we find just five good and honest ones?  

you have to have such a thick skin now I don't know why anyone good would do it... but many still do imo. They just don't get the attention. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He has had an interesting taste in girlfriends.  Not her fault though that he left official and/or sensitive documents lying around.

can't really blame him for being distracted. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you have to have such a thick skin now I don't know why anyone good would do it... but many still do imo. They just don't get the attention. 

I know.  Our neighbor on the Soulth Shore in Nova Scotia is Bernadette Jordan.  She’s the MP (liberal) for that region.  She’s a really good person, and so is her husband - Dave.  She is just a regular person.  She even hangs her laundry! 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I know.  Our neighbor on the Soulth Shore in Nova Scotia is Bernadette Jordan.  She’s the MP (liberal) for that region.  She’s a really good person, and so is her husband - Dave.  She is just a regular person.  She even hangs her laundry! 

we were sorta neighbours Alf, I lived in Bedford. 

When i was consulting I met a lot of good people just below the minister level, there really are good people working in the system. I hate that the few rats get so much attention. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

When i was consulting I met a lot of good people just below the minister level, there really are good people working in the system. I hate that the few rats get so much attention. 

True enough Jimmy.  I don’t vote back east, but would definitely vote for Bernadette if I could, even though she’s a Liberal.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Side bar.  We had our place on the South Shore for a while before the Jordan’s moved in next door.  I built them a new deck, and helped them redo the old house the bought.  Bernadette helped dig the foundation holes for the Sono-tubes.  How is that for a future MP?  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Side bar.  We had our place on the South Shore for a while before the Jordan’s moved in next door.  I built them a new deck, and helped them redo the old house the bought.  Bernadette helped dig the foundation holes for the Sono-tubes.  How is that for a future MP?  

damn you should have stayed and cashed in! I kid. People are good that way out there. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

damn you should have stayed and cashed in! I kid. People are good that way out there. 

Yes.  It’s different in some places out east.  Bernadette and my wife are still really close.  Dave and I are very close too.  They (she) are just normal people.  If I didn’t get so weak we’d still be there.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, brownky said:

It's not about good, it's about apathetic. People that aren't excited by the forbidden apple, nor are they excited by the virtue of "not taking it".

Find the people who legitimately don't give a ***t.

I should run. I don't want to be in government, I don't want to be a politician. But I really don't want anybody else to be in power either, because they have their little pet projects, lies and deceit.

If elected, I promise to do nothing. No scandals, no tomfoolery. I'll literally go and play freecell on my phone and leave you people to live your lives in peace and quiet away from pointless interference of me telling you how best to live your life.

Oh and I'll kill off ICBC. Buncha crooks.

The Ron Swanson approach.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:51 PM, DADDYROCK said:

My Dad used to say that politicians are a notch lower than child molesters,it seems that every time you turn around some politician that is supposed to have high moral standards is getting caught doing not just stupid things but very bad criminal things.

Throwing some of these people in prison for long periods might stop or at least slow down the corrupt behaviors, because they assume they will just not have to pay the consequences of their actions and being in a position given to them by trusting people heightens the betrayal.

Just proves that most wealthy people are just so much less honorable than just your regular hard working citizens.

Sentences should be tripled for acts committed while in public office.

18 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The odd thing is that you're one of the few "bleeding hearts" for Sim. It's embarrassing for anyone to resign. The reason a politician does it is because the heat is onto him/her, and that a scandal of some sort is worse than resigning.

Honestly, if she wasn't guilty of something, she wouldn't have resigned. She could fight it tooth and nail. Instead, she cops out because she must KNOW that she's going to get busted hard.

My heart isn't bleeding for Sim.  But I think there's a lot to be said for the principle that a person is innocent until found guilty.  When we find out what she's accused of, and if she's found guilty, then by all means punish her.

What I was struck by in this thread was the way several posters immediately concluded that she must be guilty because she was charged and then went on to tar all politicians as corrupt.  It struck me as an over-reaction.

20 hours ago, the grinder said:

she has done it more than once so if she isn't guilty why resign then  ,   oh right not to bring the spotlight on her party .  what a joke  she prolly is still getting paid  as well  

She's done WHAT more than once?  I've yet to find any credible media source that has said just what she's being investigated for.

As far as her being paid, she resigned from her cabinent position not her MLA position.  So, yes, she will still be being paid as an MLA.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

My heart isn't bleeding for Sim.  But I think there's a lot to be said for the principle that a person is innocent until found guilty.  When we find out what she's accused of, and if she's found guilty, then by all means punish her.

What I was struck by in this thread was the way several posters immediately concluded that she must be guilty because she was charged and then went on to tar all politicians as corrupt.  It struck me as an over-reaction.

It's common sense. Politicians don't resign because they felt like they were going to be a distraction. The accusation was tantamount to corruption (money for favours, in this case, immigration). A serious accusation to say the least. We're not talking about her being rude to a member of the public, or even an old twitter message from long long ago.

Remember Glen Clark of the NDP? That was a scandal too when there was an investigation on him about conflict of interest.

As for being an MLA, we'll see what happens. I think the RCMP investigation will be interesting. We'll see whether or not it will force her to step down from there too.

If you're watching the news, Trump's getting a lot of heat now than ever before. Watch him resign before he gets impeached. Either way, he's coming down sooner rather than later. Not saying Sims is Trump, but you really have to have thick skin to stay in power.

Edited by Dazzle

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

She's done WHAT more than once?  I've yet to find any credible media source that has said just what she's being investigated for.

As far as her being paid, she resigned from her cabinent position not her MLA position.  So, yes, she will still be being paid as an MLA.

what more than once ?  I already said it  freedom of information act  that is what rules she has broken more than once, lol yep  still gets paid for breaking the rules, if it was any other job you would be fired ,