The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | October (06-12) 2019

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Lightning managed just 13 shots in 61:53 tonight, but still managed to pick up a point in a 4-3 loss to Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes recorded 44 shots in the game.

I watched much of that game, and TBay had no legs.  Watching Jets v Isles right now.  The Jets D is horrible 

• Upvote 1

Matt Barzel is really good with the puck.  I’m also noticing that Trots has Barzel playing really good without the puck.  Great coaches turn really good offensive players into winners (providing the player wants to be a winner)

Do we need a new coach, like a Trotz?

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Matt Barzel is really good with the puck.  I’m also noticing that Trots has Barzel playing really good without the puck.  Great coaches turn really good offensive players into winners (providing the player wants to be a winner)

That remains to be seen. You've also got to consider that there aren't very many coaches like Trotz in the league at all. Not only that, but they're very rarely available to hire. 

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Anthony Mantha with all 4 Red Wings goals Wings lead Dallas 4-3

The Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha line finished the night with 7 points, giving them 55 points in their last 10 games.

Mantha now has 22 points in his last 10 games.

Curious to see how good of a player he will become.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That remains to be seen. You've also got to consider that there aren't very many coaches like Trotz in the league at all. Not only that, but they're very rarely available to hire. 

Who is the new Coiler coach? I think these top coaches do come available.  We just have to hire one when they do?  What about Hitch?  He’s available.  I don’t think ?Green is our guy.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who is the new Coiler coach? I think these top coaches do come available.  We just have to hire one when they do?  What about Hitch?  He’s available.  I don’t think ?Green is our guy.  

They do, but it's rare. Coaches like Q and Trotz don't become available often. Their tenures in Chicago and Nashville speak for themselves. They're in a tier above the Tippet's, AV's and McLellan's of the NHL. 

Not to say those guys aren't talented coaches in their own right. 

Hitch is 67, almost 68, and likes one year deals. He's not someone you look to if you're looking for longevity in a coach. 

Edited by Coconuts

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't think so, Even though Barry Trotz is a great coach Green is a good coach too. It's only been two games so far and I'm sure they will figure it out soon. Too many "sky is falling" fans are overreacting and are ready to jump off a bridge because of a couple of bad games. The rest of us are in for the long haul and there will be more good times coming up in the near future.

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Lightning managed just 13 shots in 61:53 tonight, but still managed to pick up a point in a 4-3 loss to Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes recorded 44 shots in the game.

3 goals on 11 shots in the 1st period and then 2 shots for the rest of the game.  

“Today was a [terrible] game for us,” Stamkos said, per NHL.com. “Unless we change things, it’s going to be a really, really long year. We rely so much on our goaltending and our power play and the passing. It’s three games into the season, that’s the good news. There’s lots of times to correct these things. I don’t want to get too down, but it’s frustrating knowing the group we have in here and we keep continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results.”

Edited by mll