The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playing Possum

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Obligatory poll questions  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/play_possum

Verb

play possum (third-person singular simple present plays possum, present participle playing possum, simple past and past participle played possum)

(idiomatic) to feign death; to remain quiet and still to escape attention or remain undetected; to lie low.

Thinking fast, we played possum, hoping the bear wouldn't bother us.
The soldier played possum, fooling the sniper.
To keep the focus away from his client, the lawyer basically played possum during the entire complex trial, and his tactic paid off with an acquittal.

So this is the Aquilini's evil master plan. It's been revealed to me in a dream.

The Canucks are playing possum.

They are pretending to be that same old bottom feeder team that shows glimpses of promise but ultimately falls well short of success.

But don't be fooled, common and unassuming NHL enthusiasts. The Canucks are just getting started.

In the immortal words of Celine Dion, "You ain't seen nothin yet".

And hell, for all we know, maybe the Canucks just figure Alberta is terrible and don't want to play their best hockey in that dreadful province in front of those dreadful fans.

But whatever the case may be, I think that it's quite obvious that our boys in blue (and green, and some white/black, but you get the point) are trying to lull their opponents into a false sense of security.

Now teams are going to roll into Vancouver and think they have an easy match-up for the night, and then WHAMMO, we lower the boom.

Like the old rope-a-dope technique made famous by Mike Tyson. Wear the opponent down and then STRIKE like a cobra in the night.

To summarize, it's clear and obvious (and I also had a vision in a dream which is never wrong) that the Canucks have thrown the first two games on purpose in order to appear weak in the eyes of future opponents. Said opponents will then take the Canucks lightly and proceed to get steamrolled.

So don't jump off the bandwagon just yet.

Like Batman once said, "with great power, comes great responsibility".

Besides, if we went 82-0, people would definitely be suspicious and cry "rigged". And we can't be having that tarnish on our first Stanley Cup parade in June of next year.

You heard it here first.

Love,

BrockBoester
Edited by BrockBoester
  • Upvote 1

Canucks will go 80-0 the rest of the way.   :-p

In all seriousness, I think it goes back to what I was saying in another thread:   The Canucks have to find a way to either create two elite scoring lines (which I don’t think they are capable of since they aren’t an elite team as of yet), OR create three “good” scoring lines (which I think they are capable of).

1) Get someone to ride “shotgun” with Pettersson and Boeser on the top line.

2) Get someone to ride shotgun with Horvat and Pearson on the 2nd line.

3) Play Gaudette, Miller, and Ferland together to create a very good 3rd line.   This will also give Gaudette a good opportunity to grow his game at the NHL level.

The rest of the guys on the roster, and even guys down in Utica such as Baertschi and Goldobin, can be motivated and rewarded to play well so that these guys can get a chance to be the guy riding shotgun on the top two lines.

If I’m someone like Virtanen, Eriksson, or whoever, I would be creaming my pants at the opportunity.

• Upvote 1