The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Coaching Staff

Rate this topic

5Fivehole0

53 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

Team is weak. We have no #1 or #2 left wing. And we've got no real #2 right wing. So we're basically a team with 2/3rds of a 1st line, 1/3rd of a 2nd line, and then a 3rd and 4th line. 

Our GM gave up a 1st and a 3rd to trade for overpriced, overvalued JT Miller. This is a joke.

Edit: I don't know why management would ever break up the BHB line. To me, that's what gave them the best value from Baertschi ... and now he's waived because of it. I can't imagine this was Green's choice. More than likely management told Green to play EP with Boeser.... and that's why Baertschi is now off the team. That was a legit 2nd line. Now the team is worse because our GM is too incompetent to find players to play with EP, so he cannibalizes a functional line to do it.

Maybe you should give it a few more games...

• Haha 1

Without a doubt, Newell Brown needs to go. Easily one of the worst powerplay coaches in the league. He has the skill to work a decent powerplay and fails to utilize them at all. There's never any movement in the offensive zone, the entry is horrific with peddling the back pass through one of the slowest players on the team in Edler and our structure is completely dated. Never any net presence, never does our powerplay have 2 passing options in dangerous positions (like most powerplay structures in the NHL) thanks to that absolutely stupid umbrella formation that our team never even utilizes effectively. We never go for redirections with the umbrella formation that made Chicago so successful all of those years, instead we opt to just shoot from poor spots on the ice. A free flowing 1-3-1 on the powerplay is by far the most dangerous structure because even a low-skilled team can pull it off. The center man has to pull a defender because he's in a direct scoring position if the puck gets to him. That opens up the back door or simply a shot that forces the goaltender to honour. 

Makes no sense why we throw 3 guys up high. Last game we literally had 3 guys straddling the blue line when there was ice available down low. On the 5 on 3, you had Boeser and Edler literally close enough to put a skate on the line. It makes defending soooooo easy when you don't even force the opposition to move more than 5 feet in space because you're never really threatening putting one past an unscreened goalie. 

I yell at the TV so much when we get a powerplay. It's timbits hockey. Before you're 8 years old you learn that movement pulls defense out of position, yet we never use that basic knowledge. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2019 at 1:26 AM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Well call me crazy but after two games in I just don't think I'm ready to write the coaching staff off yet.

i was ready last year

The Ole Greener is turning into the coaching equivilant of Tommy Santala

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Maybe you should give it a few more games...

I've thought this since before the season started. This sums up what most analysts think of the trade:

If the Canucks miss the playoffs both years, the trade may not look very good. But Benning won’t have to worry about optics because he probably won’t still be GM unless Vancouver makes it back into the Stanley Cup tournament.

When people have to say "The GM made a desperate move, but he won't be around when the Canucks pay the price" ... that says something. Benning should have to put up $1 million of his own money as a bond on a trade like that. Desperate, bad trades to "go big or go home" should punish the GM personally if it fails. 

Edited by Matt_T83

3 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

I've thought this since before the season started. This sums up what most analysts think of the trade:

When people have to say "The GM made a desperate move, but he won't be around when the Canucks pay the price" ... that says something. Benning should have to put up $1 million of his own money as a bond on a trade like that. Desperate, bad trades to "go big or go home" should punish the GM personally if it fails. 

Still think you're jumping the gun Matt.  Miller may end up being a huge part of this team coming into it's own.  They have a good chance of making the POs this season, but if they don't they still get their 1st rounder.  The following season, the team will be that much better and will likely get the job done.   

I don't understand how anyone that has been a fan of this team during the last few years, cannot see that this year's group looks much better.  At the very least, they will be a fun team to watch and cheer yourself silly for.  I really like this team.