The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daryl Morey, the NBA and LeChina

Toews

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Good ol' Lebron James stirring the pot.  I won't bother posting the tweets here, but clearly he's someone who would rather appease the bullies than stand up to them when his Afro-American bros aren't the ones being pushed around.

10 minutes ago, infinitecarnage said:

EG6MuKdVUAE7wct.jpg

Image result for wiping tears with money

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

So much for LeBron and his stance on free speech. As soon as his bottom line is affected, that all goes out the window....

I expect this kind of spineless kowtowing from the likes of Stephen A, but to hear it from James is highly disappointing....

• Upvote 3

On 10/7/2019 at 11:39 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sadly, it seems like the only way to get a regime change to remove these authoritarians from power would likely be a world war, the likes of which people will rather choose to tolerate and suffer the injustices dealt by the authoritarians instead of facing the potential of near annihilation of portions of human civilization to right the wrongs instigated by the authoritarians and stand up against these injustices.  It really is a difficult decision to make. :sadno:

You can choose to personally not buy their garbage. If every person in the world did it, China collapses over night.

Btw, this is a country that has killed 100 million people for their political beliefs since the end of WW2.

That's what, 15 Third Reichs?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Perhaps he meant, in a week when NBA players are not in China, and thus not potential prisoners of the communist government?

Maybe. But if that were the case, should you really be kowtowing to someone you are in business with because fear that they will bring you harm because of something said by someone that you have a loose affiliation with? If you are for social justice, why are you doing business with someone that is striking fear into the players that are in the same union as you? This is about money and nothing else. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Maybe. But if that were the case, should you really be kowtowing to someone you are in business with because fear that they will bring you harm because of something said by someone that you have a loose affiliation with? If you are for social justice, why are you doing business with someone that is striking fear into the players that are in the same union as you? This is about money and nothing else. 

Most likely it's about the money.

I  think saying nothing until after the players got/get out of China would be a wise thing.

A wiser thing would have been not going to China in the first place:

The US and China trade war

China jailing Canadian citizens as retaliation for the arrest of Meng Wanzhou

are just the latest in very good reasons to stay the heck out of China.

How many Canadians and Americans are over there right now, and how do you get them out of China quickly.?

43 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The theory is sound, but the practice is unlikely to match the intended plan.  Everyone wants cheap goods, and there comes a point where money becomes the determining factor.  Not everyone will feel the outrage or even the indignation - this stuff is all happening in another world (to most consumers) and what does the lack of human rights for some Wing Wang Wong that they don't know and is halfway around the world have to do with their [insert desired product] anyways? To a lot of consumers, social justice means crap-all, as long as their own right to consume consume consume isn't infringed upon.

And then there's that whole "no more world wars" bit.

Not saying your idea sucks (actually, I am personally actively boycotting both Made in China and Made in USA junk - inasmuch as I can, makes for quite the challenge when grocery shopping at the local Cave-In Foods), but unfortunately it's not likely to be embraced by most of the consumerist society we live in.

It's very difficult, but every little bit helps. 

I purposely choose not to buy clothes or shoes that are made in China, I choose groceries from domestic sources rather than from China, I purposely choose to avoid travelling on Chinese airlines, I will never purchase firearms made from Chinese companies, and I do not actively invest in Chinese companies.  

If everyone did that... even just half a point less in GDP growth in China would be a huge concern for them.  

Edited by Lancaster
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The theory is sound, but the practice is unlikely to match the intended plan.  Everyone wants cheap goods, and there comes a point where money becomes the determining factor.  Not everyone will feel the outrage or even the indignation - this stuff is all happening in another world (to most consumers) and what does the lack of human rights for some Wing Wang Wong that they don't know and is halfway around the world have to do with their [insert desired product] anyways? To a lot of consumers, social justice means crap-all, as long as their own right to consume consume consume isn't infringed upon.

And then there's that whole "no more world wars" bit.

Not saying your idea sucks (actually, I am personally actively boycotting both Made in China and Made in USA junk - inasmuch as I can, makes for quite the challenge when grocery shopping at the local Cave-In Foods), but unfortunately it's not likely to be embraced by most of the consumerist society we live in.

A more effective boycott would be of businesses which operate in free countries like USA and Canada and do the bidding of China. You can still do business with China but on our soil you adhere to the principles and beliefs that our countries was founded upon. This applies to any employees and staff, they should be allowed to express themselves freely on any medium and if some authoritarian does not like to hear the truth, then tough $&!#. If you can't stand by that employee then you might as well pack up your business and head permanently to China and deal exclusively with them.

I am legitimately a little disturbed that professing belief in ideals like democracy and freedom can suddenly become  "complex", "bizarre", "convoluted". Those are the words I have seen much of sports world use in regards to this incident. Otherwise intelligent people feigning ignorance or lack of understanding when the issue is rather simple, rather black and white, either you believe in democracy and rights for individuals or you don't. If you cannot comment because of the league's business relationship with China, then say that out loud instead of pulling a Homer Simpson.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The one difficult problem I'll have in a few years will be what carrier I'm going to fly with when my wife plans to go back to HK to renew her HKID. I don't fly Air Canada due to incidents in the past, I refuse to fly any mainland carrier because of the requirement to hop through the bamboo curtain, and now Cathay has shown it's now a slave to the regime to the north.  Eva Airlines?  One of the Japanese carriers?  Good thing I don't have to make a decision about it right this moment... :ph34r:

I always like ANA and EVA.  Usually a bit pricier... but I don't like flying on Chinese airlines where the cushions are all worn flat and there are still cigarette holders in the arm rests.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Thanks, I will keep those in mind.  Knowing that my wife likes Japan, it's likely we'd be going with a Japanese carrier - gives us reason to travel there ::D

Heads up, in case it matters... an old boss of mine said that ANA, and perhaps all Japanese airlines, keep the temp pretty warm (close to 80F).  I never flew with them to find out, but he had no reason to BS me about it.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It's very difficult, but every little bit helps. 

I purposely choose not to buy clothes or shoes that are made in China, I choose groceries from domestic sources rather than from China, I purposely choose to avoid travelling on Chinese airlines, I will never purchase firearms made from Chinese companies, and I do not actively invest in Chinese companies.  

If everyone did that... even just half a point less in GDP growth in China would be a huge concern for them.  

I've "tried" shopping elsewhere for some time (quotes, cuz sometimes I forget to put the effort in).  I did some looking the other day, and there are a few sites that suggest non-Chinese options, or pointing out which common brands have their stuff made there.  I never knew Levi's were made there.  Sad.  Been wearing their jeans almost exclusively for over 30 years (not the same pair :P).

It's tough with tools, though.  There's a store down here that has great prices on tools, but I think everything there is made in China.  I really resist shopping there now, but I know I will need more tools as I grow in the hobby and I'm sure there will be some things I need that aren't available from non-Chinese sources.  Just gotta do the best I can.  

Every little bit helps

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Warm is a-ok with me and my wife. ::D

Sometimes I find that the airlines lower the temperature of the flight cabin, making me have to wear like 5 layers to keep warm.

Maybe good for a long flight like that, as it would put me to sleep, which I didn't do enough of when flying to Tokyo.  I would think it would get too stuffy being that warm, but like you, I know my wife wouldn't mind it either.  Enjoy!

My boss always wore shorts on those flights.  All 6'6", 300+lbs of him.  I would too, but then, I might wear them on domestic flights if the weather is warm enough.