The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver to Step Down - New Leader Sought

DonLever

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/10/07/cp-newsalert-b-c-green-leader-andrew-weaver-steps-aside/

VICTORIA — B.C. Green Leader Andrew Weaver, who led the party to a historic election breakthrough two years ago, will not seek re-election in the next provincial election.

Weaver reduced his work schedule as he recovered from labyrinthitis after he suddenly had symptoms typical of the condition last month, but in announcing his decision to not run again in 2021 he cited his aversion to becoming a career politician for stepping down.

He has asked the party to begin the process to elect a new leader.

The province’s minority NDP government remains in power with the support of the Greens, but Weaver’s decision will not immediately affect the New Democrats’ hold on power because he will remain on the opposition benches of legislature.

The B.C. Liberals have 42 seats in the house, the NDP 41, the Greens three seats and there is one Independent, former Liberal Darryl Plecas, who serves as house Speaker.

The 57-year-old Weaver is an internationally recognized climate scientist who was first elected to the legislature in the Victoria-area riding of Oak Bay-Gordon Head in 2013.

He has been a University of Victoria professor for more than 20 years and has authored or co-authored over 200 peer-reviewed papers.

He became leader of the party in 2015 after becoming the first Green to win a seat in the legislature.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 7, 2019.

The Canadian Press

Edited by DonLever

Just now, milk and honey said:

Best of luck to Andrew. He is truly underrated and saved us from another 4years of Liberals. He is a hero of BC history!

Hopefully greens find a solid leader again.

Oh really? I guarantee you he destroyed the green party in BC. He should step down, his thirst for power made him give in on things he campaigned against. Why would anyone vote green when they caved to the ndp? 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh really? I guarantee you he destroyed the green party in BC. He should step down, his thirst for power made him give in on things he campaigned against. Why would anyone vote green when they caved to the ndp? 

Because they didn't want to vote NDP and didn't want to vote Liberal and knew that their vote would matter if they voted Green. I guarantee you are wrong.

Edited by peaches5
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

idk man i've read quite a few of your posts over the years and i really don't think you know what you're talking about 99% of the time.

Edited by 112
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

my niece works closely with members of the greens, they are not a happy group internally. 

Best of luck to him on his health and future happiness, but when it came to politics he had no spine. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Because they didn't want to vote NDP and didn't want to vote Liberal and knew that their vote would matter if they voted Green. I guarantee you are wrong.

O ok...so you're saying they're a revolt vote. Cool lol

52 minutes ago, 112 said:

idk man i've read quite a few of your posts over the years and i really don't think you know what you're talking about 99% of the time.

Ya ppl like you're so wise.:lol:

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my niece works closely with members of the greens, they are not a happy group internally. 

Best of luck to him on his health and future happiness, but when it came to politics he had no spine. 

Exactly. 

Opposite.

I think he showed that the Green party can work with governments and act / govern responsibly.

Many many more people will now look to vote Green in BC going forward. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I personally feel it was more compromising than caving, though I admit I wasn't there when the deals happened. For me anything short of selling his soul to the devil to get Christy the Criminal out of our lives was well worth it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Opposite.

I think he showed that the Green party can work with governments and act / govern responsibly.

Many many more people will now look to vote Green in BC going forward. 

We shall see but I don't think you will be correct. 

1 minute ago, Aladeen said:

I personally feel it was more compromising than caving, though I admit I wasn't there when the deals happened. For me anything short of selling his soul to the devil to get Christy the Criminal out of our lives was well worth it. 

Same answer. 

And I agree the BC liberals are one of the worst parties in Canada. BC really needs a viable option on the right.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

This line of thinking is the problem.

All votes matter even if you vote for the party that lost. This is how undeserving incumbents find their way into office. Think about the logic for a second. I don't want to vote for the Green Party because I think they won't win. So i will vote for who I think will win so my vote 'counts/matters' even if it's for a party platform that I don't agree with. This is why smaller parties never gain traction because when push comes to shove, so many people would rather vote for a party they don't care for, before giving another party a chance. 

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Just because he didn't have spine doesn't mean he didn't saved bc from another 4years of liberals.

We needed a change and he did the right thing at the time. After government formed sure he compromised. 

Edited by milk and honey

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

pays well I heard.

btw am i the only one who thinks governement officals are vastly and I mean vastly overpaid. They work like 180ish days in victoria/ottawa and I guess work in their local offices/events a certain amount of days.

They probably are.

But would the argument be that they need to attract decent applicants? Why would someone do those jobs if they can make way more in the private sector? 

Besides , you know, wanting to change the world for the better and little things like that...

10 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Just because he didn't have spine doesn't mean he didn't saved bc from another 4years of liberals.

We needed a change and he did the right thing at the time. After government formed sure he compromised. 

he did compromise, really on everything he claimed was a pillar of something he cared about. Contrast that with Liz May, who has already stated she won't prop up any gov't that supports TMX. Regardless of how you feel on the issue, she's fighting for what people wanted who voted for her. Weaver failed miserably on that front, and we also have zero green tech investment either. Big fail there too.

I understand wanting to kick Clark, I wanted Harper gone in much the same way. But Weaver failed Green voters when it came to major issues. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

I will be honest with you a green government in BC couldn't be any worse than the libs or ndp. I just feel he hurt the party because now green supporters may just vote ndp.

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he did compromise, really on everything he claimed was a pillar of something he cared about. Contrast that with Liz May, who has already stated she won't prop up any gov't that supports TMX. Regardless of how you feel on the issue, she's fighting for what people wanted who voted for her. Weaver failed miserably on that front, and we also have zero green tech investment either. Big fail there too.

I understand wanting to kick Clark, I wanted Harper gone in much the same way. But Weaver failed Green voters when it came to major issues. 

Obviously Jimmy has more time @milk and honey but this is exactly what I was trying to say and politically that's recipe for disaster for the green party.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

They probably are.

But would the argument be that they need to attract decent applicants? Why would someone do those jobs if they can make way more in the private sector? 

Doesn't that apply to police , fire, nurses and teachers then... ?  So why do we pay them so poorly and make their jobs almost undoable.

Soon no one will want any of these careers.... 

• Upvote 1