The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

smithers joe”s corner

Rate this topic

in a quest to learn something i didn’t know everyday, i stumbled on this interesting but useless information.

the los angeles dodger baseball team started out as the brooklyn dodgers. this is how they got their name.

the boroughs of brooklyn had trolley cars weaving all through the streets. dodging the trolleys became a way of life for the people. 

brooklyn’s team was known as the robins but was changed to the trolley dodgers in the late 1800’s. later it was shortened to dodgers.

as a kid, i loved the dodgers of brooklyn. watched jackie robinson, break the colour barrier in baseball. i guess this is the only advantage to being older than dirt.

• Upvote 1
On 10/7/2019 at 2:33 PM, smithers joe said:

in a quest to learn something i didn’t know everyday, i stumbled on this interesting but useless information.

the los angeles dodger baseball team started out as the brooklyn dodgers. this is how they got their name.

the boroughs of brooklyn had trolley cars weaving all through the streets. dodging the trolleys became a way of life for the people. 

brooklyn’s team was known as the robins but was changed to the trolley dodgers in the late 1800’s. later it was shortened to dodgers.

as a kid, i loved the dodgers of brooklyn. watched jackie robinson, break the colour barrier in baseball. i guess this is the only advantage to being older than dirt.

Was aware of this, did you also know that Jackie Robinson wasn't considered the best coloured player? Josh Gibson (sometimes referred to as the Black Babe Ruth) was considered the best player in the Negro league, but supporters of integrating the game didn't think he had the right personality to deal with the type of harassment and treatment he would get in the majors and Robinson did (BTW have always been a Pirate fan)

I follow a page on Facebook that is a bot that automatically posts a random fact every hour on the hour. I learn something new every day.

Here's a random fact I pulled off their page:

The Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Ancient Wonders of the World, stood for a mere 50 years before it was destroyed by an earthquake. Its ruins stood and attracted visitors for way longer than the original statue (reportedly hundreds of years) before it was finally recycled for scrap metal.

Source: http://www.simplethingcalledlife.com/2015/ancient-wonders-of-world-today/

• 8 months later...
On 6/25/2020 at 10:54 PM, :D said:

Smithers Joe has got to be like 115 by now

i feel like it most days. i was born in the early years of the 2nd world war. 1938, started life in vancouver’s east end. time of street cars, vaudeville and a 6 team nhl. heroes were, gordie howe, jean beliveau, alex delvecchio, stan musial, jackie robinson and mickey mantle. 

Edited by smithers joe
14 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i feel like it most days. i was born in the early years of the 2nd world war. 1938, started life in vancouver’s east end. time of street cars, vaudeville and a 6 team nhl. heroes were, gordie howe, jean beliveau, alex delvecchio, stan musial, jackie robinson and mickey mantle. 

You're my Papa's age.  He was born in 38/37.  He grew up in southern Ontario, Brigden to be exact.  He grew up on a farm, he has similar heroes as you.  He said he even got to play baseball against Ferguson Jenkins.  Jenkins made him look like a fool though.

13 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

You're my Papa's age.  He was born in 38/37.  He grew up in southern Ontario, Brigden to be exact.  He grew up on a farm, he has similar heroes as you.  He said he even got to play baseball against Ferguson Jenkins.  Jenkins made him look like a fool though.

as i’ve mentioned before, as kids living across from collingwood park we were allowed to shag flies for andy bathgate and larry popein’s base ball team’s practises. great guys. shortly after that they both moved up to the rangers. 

i also self adopted babe pratt as my father. he was quite moved and honoured. (long story) met him here in smithers years ago. 

Edited by smithers joe
  • Cheers 1