The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Send Sutter back to Pitts

With their injuries to Malkin and Bjugstad, Pitts looks a little thin down the middle.

Maybe a good opp to send him back? 

What did they think of Sutter when he was there? Traded him for Bonino and Clendening and Bonino went on to win a couple of cups.  Do they still like Sutter? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Pittsburgh plays 3 offensive lines so it's doubtful they'd want Sutter to replace offensive players.  McCann moved from wing to C2 and Blueger to C3.  

Sutter could really help on the defensive draws tho to make McCann's life easier. Sutter did also drive some offence in his time there too, 21 goals that one year. 

I see an emergency fit with Pits, which might be a go if Sutter only had 1 year left on his deal. I think its that 2nd year on Sutters deal that would be the major sticking point. 

The deal I'd love to see is Sutter and our 2020 2nd for Pit's 2020 1st. Pipe dream I know but still, thats the one I want :P 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sutter could really help on the defensive draws tho to make McCann's life easier. Sutter did also drive some offence in his time there too, 21 goals that one year. 

I see an emergency fit with Pits, which might be a go if Sutter only had 1 year left on his deal. I think its that 2nd year on Sutters deal that would be the major sticking point. 

The deal I'd love to see is Sutter and our 2020 2nd for Pit's 2020 1st. Pipe dream I know but still, thats the one I want :P 

what about

sutter for Tanev as a frame deal hahahaha

a new set of bros

• Haha 1

You have to take back salary in-order for Pittsburgh to do it. They were thinking of trading Bjugstad to get cap compliant so I'd imagine now he's injured long term he would be on the available again. Sutter for Bjugstad is a pretty fair deal.

Malkin will be out long term, so Pitts will be looking for an offensive C, so I doubt they would look at Sutter.  They will have cap relief with Rust going on ltir.  Pitts SC window is closing, so I think they get a player that can put up points.

McCann's having an great start this year.  Opportunity for him to take on the 2nd C role.

Pittsburgh's GM, Rutherford, has traded away Brandon Sutter twice. First with Carolina, in the package for Jordan Staal. Then when he took control of Pittsburgh, he traded him again for Bonino. He obviously doesn't hold the player in particularly high regard.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Rutherford acquired McCann because he can defend while also producing - he was acquired as a matchup C.  

Kessel/ Sullivan clashed because Sullivan wanted 3 scoring lines and had Kessel on the 3rd.  Sutter is a 4th liner in their system and they already have those.

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Rutherford acquired McCann because he can defend while also producing - he was acquired as a matchup C.  

Kessel/ Sullivan clashed because Sullivan wanted 3 scoring lines and had Kessel on the 3rd.  Sutter is a 4th liner in their system and they already have those.

McCann isn't close to a matchup C compared to Sutter's experience. If thats who their running with for the next few months they are in big trouble. 

• Upvote 1