The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Send Sutter back to Pitts

8 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

OK how about this realistically... we'll take Rust & 2nd pick for Sutter (retain some % of salary) + Virtanen??

I think that would be reasonable for the Canucks not sure that Pitt wants that deal.  I am not sure they give up a second for Virtanen at this point as it seems even TG views/plays him as a 4th liner.  Rust is a serviceable player and third liner who can play up the lineup. The retained salary may help. 

But as someone else pointed out Rutherford has traded Sutter twice already from two different teams.  Sutter looks really slow at this point.  I would do that deal Rutherford likely wouldn't. 

Edited by Borvat

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

I think that would be reasonable for the Canucks not sure that Pitt wants that deal.  I am not sure they give up a second for Virtanen at this point as it seems even TG views/plays him as a 4th liner.  The retained salary may help. 

But as someone else pointed out Rutherford has traded Sutter twice already from two different teams.  Sutter looks really slow at this point.  I would do that deal Rutherford likely wouldn't. 

well.. not like Rutherford has a lot of options out there to acquire a proven shutdown centre even hough a bit slow.... 3rd time a charm! :)

11 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Watching Gaudette play last game was such a breath of fresh air! He showed so much jump and was so aware of where he needs to be... He truly makes Sutter redundant now!! 

I would definitely try to move Sutter, Maybe retain 1m or so to make it easier. Has this year and next on his current deal so not terrible. Would love to get him off the team and let Gaud grow into a 3rd line offensive producing role/line

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

McCann isn't close to a matchup C compared to Sutter's experience. If thats who their running with for the next few months they are in big trouble. 

Sutter has slowed down with all the injuries.  McCann is only getting better.  Rutherford sounded beyond enthusiastic about getting him.  

For now McCann is going to take Malkin's spot at C2 with Galchenyuk on wing - that's an offensive deployment.  He earned 1st star last game with 2 goals and 3pts after stepping in. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

well.. not like Rutherford has a lot of options out there to acquire a proven shutdown centre even hough a bit slow.... 3rd time a charm! :)

Frankly, I wouldn't use the term proven with Sutter anymore.  Unless you have a time machine.....  ::D

Slow doesn't work in the NHL anymore. The Canucks need a couple more years to get some more of their youth and speed into the lineup and move out guys like Sutter and a few others.  

Edited by Borvat

4 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Why would they want to replace an offensive C like Malkin with a shutdown C.  Sullivan likes to attack and not sit back - they run 3 scoring lines.  

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

Frankly, I wouldn't use the term proven with Sutter anymore.  Unless you have a time machine.....  ::D

Slow doesn't work in the NHL anymore. The Canucks need a couple more years to get some more of their youth and speed into the lineup and move out guys like Sutter and a few others.  

It's all good... Rutherford SHOULD be feeling desperate now as he's 2 C's out relatively long term.. he has zero bargaining power!! and I don't think Sutter was a problem in the Pens dressing room... I assume.. .so JB should keep harassing Rutherford with 3 calls a day!

And.. I really like Rust!!! Reminds me of the prime time Jannik Hansen!

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Why would they want to replace an offensive C like Malkin with a shutdown C.  Sullivan likes to attack and not sit back - they run 3 scoring lines.  

Let me repeat again... not a lot of better options out there that are available?? who's gonna give up a Malkin-class player to help them? It's fine if he doesn't think he should be desperate... let him fill in with 2 AHL centres then... I don't give a .... LOL

Edited by Virtanen#18

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

Let me repeat again... not a lot of better options out there that are available?? who's gonna give up a Malkin-class player to help them? It's fine if he doesn't think he should be desperate... let him fill in with 2 AHL centres then... I don't give a .... LOL

McCann will move from wing to C2.  

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Sutter has slowed down with all the injuries.  McCann is only getting better.  Rutherford sounded beyond enthusiastic about getting him.  

For now McCann is going to take Malkin's spot at C2 with Galchenyuk on wing - that's an offensive deployment.  He earned 1st star last game with 2 goals and 3pts after stepping in. 

but thats not a matchup role. IMO you're overvaluing McCann and undervaluing Sutter, but I could be wrong too. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

but thats not a matchup role. IMO you're overvaluing McCann and undervaluing Sutter, but I could be wrong too. 

An offensive C is injured and they will replace him with McCann who will play in an offensive role with Galchenyuk on the 2nd line. 

23 minutes ago, mll said:

McCann, always like that draft pick...too bad we didn't keep him. I think he will have a lengthy decent NHL career. Whatever the true reason why we gave up on him so fast likely won't be known, sure wish we kept him around. Sure looks like he will have the more impactful/exciting career than Goldy/Virtanen from the same draft class

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

While we're drunk, Sutter and Boeser for Malkin!

173-0715100320-23298296.jpg.6d2f4dc12ba1901c7b8385c9bf517f64.jpg an aging star at 33 at $9.5 million for another 3 years.

52 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Watching Gaudette play last game was such a breath of fresh air! He showed so much jump and was so aware of where he needs to be... He truly makes Sutter redundant now!! 

He even saw about a minute and a half of PP time, second unit third period.

Ya know the guy that was benched for game 1 smh.

I wouldn't say he's redundant now. He still plays a vital role on the PK and defensively being a better option than 90% of our roster for that role.

As it looks now and from the preseason they are not going use Gaudette at all defensively but more so as a filler and energy line.

We would have a worse PK without him. He's probably our best PKer along side Beagle. Eats up like 4 PK minutes a game. He also can win draws and would be pretty helpful if any of our C's got hurt. We don't really have any centers to call up.

Unless we can get a better Sutter than nah.