The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are your first impressions of our new players?

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Right.... we had a tough bteam in '94.... where's the ring? In 2011 Thomas set a finals record for saves made. That had nothing to do with it, not to mention the number of injuries. We had toiughness on that 2011 team as well. Still not buying what you're selling.

The 2011 team series changed when it went to Boston and the intimidation started .The boys could not match that, out coached and intimidated we had toughness but not when it counted. Everyone had Injuries . Game 7 no one showed up .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

The 2011 team series changed when it went to Boston and the intimidation started .The boys could not match that, out coached and intimidated we had toughness but not when it counted. Everyone had Injuries . Game 7 no one showed up .

Check the numbers, we outshot them and out hit them in game 7.

• Cheers 1

On 10/10/2019 at 2:32 PM, iceman64 said:

Against the Kings yeah..  how about the top of the league teams who will do anything to win..  cough cough Bruins and Marchand cough cough.. and that's not even in our physical division out west.. might get away with it some nights but.. sooner or later..

Iceman it’s only been three games. Ferland has value maybe a few contest it but they are idiots.   Anyone that can hit, fight and score goals is a valuable player in today’s game.  It makes me sad that I even have to say that.  Used to be half the teams players could hit fight and score a goal.     

Since the enforcer died, guys that were big for their age lost  the opportunities to fight their way into the league - that big scary first round NYR McIrath or whatever his name is was the last guy to get such attention.   It’s changed already at the Junior level / you can’t act like an animal and have marginal skills and expect to be drafted.    It’s been long enough and the fighting rules in juniors have changed things too - if I was Milbury I’d say panifiscation is completed.   And we have a new era of hockey where the European style has taken over.  Even the new rules for expansion have changed - no longer can a team enter the league and just go the PHI route.   Both ANA and SJ when they came in tried it.   Didn’t work but if you go back and see their early rosters they weren’t taking sh!t from anyone.

Times have changed.   I’m super stoked we have Ferland.   Intangibles like his are hard to find now. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Baggins said:

Check the numbers, we outshot them and out hit them in game 7.

Should not been a game 7 should have ended in 5 or 6 at the most . but the point im making is the Cunucks dont have the push back .needed to be a cup winner. Or the coaches dont  believe in sticking up for their players.

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

First of all that is the dumbest statement I ever seen on this web site. If Daniel had stuck up for himself and showed a little spine he would be wearing a Stanley Cup Ring.

If you want to win you need push back Having Marty McSorley on your line helped Gretzky a lot, also when any team member gets ruffed up there should be an response by all the players clear the bench if you have to.

Times have changed a lot, but I still agree with this statement. Also why I am so glad Bo is the captain and not Petey. True leaders need to rise to any occasion. On the ice that can mean scoring a last minute goal, running someone clear through the glass or if need be, exterminate a rat. I would find it hard to follow anyone who is unwilling to even try to defend themself from a physical attack. Bo won’t put up with it, and neither will quite a bit of our team now. 

As to the OP, largely agree with the statements here

Ferland - still getting up to speed, tough SOB, gets a pass from me for his so far average play

Benn...exactly what I want in a third pairing guy, big upgrade from last year. 

Miller - so far better than I thought, and I was in favour of the trade already. 

Hughes - not as instantly game changing as I’d hoped (due to unrealistic expectations) but boy oh boy are all the signs there. My biggest happy point this year is seeing the improvement in his slap shot. This kid has wheels, IQ, dangles and now a shot that’s a threat as well. Gonna be some good things coming to Vancouver in the next couple years. 

• Cheers 2

It sure is nice to have Hughes , Meyers , and Benn instead of 

Delzotto , Pouliot , and Hutton. 

That alone should boost he Canucks 10 points in the standings. Miller has been a great addition, can fill in as top line centre if injuries occur. 

Still not sure about Ferland, I need to see he can still play like he used to. Is his back 100% ? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Not buying what you're selling. 

You're going back 40 years ago when things were actually different. There was more respect for stars back then and fighters ensured that respect. Now goons are gone, there's far less respect given stars, and players that take liberties don't give a crap about having to fight. 

Nailed it.   Just gazing through some posts and this one popped out.   How true.   Crosby is going to retire a top ten player all-time - and we’ve all been around to witness history.  But I’ve always wondered how he’d have done if players respected him more, didn’t take cheap shots and if he had a gaurdian Angel like Gretzky did.   The abuse he’s endured over his career is actually a little sickening...and I do fear for EP and BB and Hughes.  

When he went out with his last concussion he was on pace for 150 points - in his prime and tearing it up.   Still managed an incredible career and will be a first ballot HHOFer...hard to imagine anyone scoring 1700 points anytime soon.. McDavid maybe...as long as he’s protected. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

My impressions as a group and all healthy with no issues;

The new guys look like preparation for playoffs, good 2nd line and really good/deep 3/4 lines.

Defence is still a little shallow and that has me concerned that Benning will spend more of the future to insure a PO spot.

But this still puts enormous pressure on two players that don't even have 130 NHL games to be the cornerstones.

IF

The team is 6 points out of a PO spot by the TDL they should have multiple players that other teams will want for their teams shots. Some team's HAVE to make a splash this year and the Canucks cannot afford to give up a top ten pick in either of the next two drafts, so trades might get them another 20 to 30 1rst round pick, higher if they can manage to take back a bad contract.

That should give the team 5 players that can play in the top ten that were drafted counting Podkolzin, Jake can do it. That SHOULD be the last of a rebuild, THEN just the building and polishing off. Clevr contracts could mean 10+ years of PO's. But blow this and the next draft for a single PO showing will probably mean a Colorado retooling and another 4 years.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

On 10/7/2019 at 5:26 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ferland has been the biggest disappointment so far. Really hasn't done much of anything thus far.  

Benn has been OK. Nothing special, but an OK 3rd pairing guy.

Hughes is offensively dynamic. He's gonna be a game breaker, but his defense obviously needs some work.

Miller looks like he's going to be a great fit. Not elite at any one thing, but good at a lot of things. 

I LOVE the way Myers plays. His shot and willingness to join the rush or go deep is super refreshing. However, as we all expected, he's made some costly mistakes, and will likely continue to make errors in his own end. 

As someone who has been very critical of Myers, one thing I’ve really been impressed by is his skating ability but also his drive to join rushes. 

Like we’ve all established, Myers has his defensive defiencies. Though after watching him these last couple of games, in my opinion his height probably has a lot to do with it. When there’s forwards attacking him, he’s got very limited space to pivot or skate out of trouble because he covers a lot of space. Literally all you have to do to Myers is pin him to the boards and he’s vulnerable.

Myers is a really unique defenseman.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 9:08 AM, iceman64 said:

for F sakes give Ferland a break, he just went through being ill and lost some weight and strength.. 

Can hardly expect him to be on his game for awhile, a week or so  (ish) then he should be ok 

Yeah i agree we need more time. Its only 3 games. I have no worries about Ferls.

Too early.

I don't feel like you're seeing the same Quinn as me.   It's all good and well to reserve judgement but to suggest he's nowhere close is way off base (and nowhere close).  He's extremely effective already.  Sometimes I swear he's a magician as well as a d man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

You mean when their classless fans jeered a guy with a broken back and then Hank got an unsportsman like and it set the tone?

Yeah...Boston's slime.  Let's tell the true story and, even better yet, focus on the here and now not the Big Bad Bruins who huffed and puffed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Too early.

I don't feel like you're seeing the same Quinn as me.   It's all good and well to reserve judgement but to suggest he's nowhere close is way off base (and nowhere close).  He's extremely effective already.

Quinn Hughes looks like the phenom we all expected.  IMO he eclipses 60 points this season.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

You mean when their classless fans jeered a guy with a broken back and then Hank got an unsportsman like and it set the tone?

Yeah...Boston's slime.  Let's tell the true story and, even better yet, focus on the here and now not the Big Bad Bruins who huffed and puffed.

Bruin fans suck dirty socks.  

• Upvote 1

D looks much better this year. Quinn Hughes is a game changer. Benn and Myers >>>>>>>> Hutton and Pouliot. No comparison. The D has already contributed 4 goals (3 games). I love the line of Miller - Pettersson - Boeser. This team could become very impressive after a few more games together, building chemistry and confidence, and then they get Roussel back. Canucks will be very tough to play against.

• Upvote 1

Hughes

Easily the nucks best player in all 3 games outside of Marky.  

His skating is amazing.  I think he could out skate Bure at the the same age.  

His passing is better than I expected.  Crisp, tape to tape and he sees lanes that others don't.  Second best passer on the team outside of Ep40.  

Blown away by his one timer.   He has found a way to uncork a one timer better than I have seen from him prior.  His slapper is also much better.  

His defence is a bit disappointing.  Not sure I can place that on him, Tanev was pretty off his game in the first 2 outings.  

Hughes will also be a big minute d man.  I could see him playing 30 min a night many times in his career.  

Strength is going to be an issue.  That's never going to change.  His stick work, IQ and skating will offset this.  

• Upvote 1

Miller.  Way better than advertised by the media hacks.  Looks like JB might be more knowledgeable than say... reporters.  Prefect top six player.  Honestly think he needs to skate with Ep40 and Boeser.  Think his 4 point night will not be an outlier during his time here.  

Ferland, hard to tell atm.  Was really sick and lost alot of power due to that pre camp.  

Think he might be a better fit with Bo and Pearson atm. With Pearson already showing great hustle on the forecheck, when Ferland gets his moto running on all cylinders that line will be horrible to play against.  Has the potential to become as good as a second line as when Kesler was dominant.  

Pearson.  Steal of a trade.  Want to see him re sign with the club.  He was a bubble guy for a top 6 spot and has brought his 'A' game into this season.  

He couldn't hope to play with a more consistent guy in Bo, which could only help Pearson maintain his game.  

Benn. Decent with a bit of shaky play when puck handling out of his zone.  

For the contract, great bottom pairing guy.  

Fattenburg.  Get better soon.  Hard way to start out and sincerely hope he is going to be okay.  

Myers.  Too all the fools that felt he was barely a top 4 d man, kill yourselves.  He has energy and love the way he activates.  Creates offence and can hammer the puck.  Looking for him to get better results as this team starts to settle in.  Same with his defence.  The pairings have all been a little shakey.  All new partners.  This will get better with reps.  

All in all, this team has already shown some chemistry.  The hustle is there, the creative elements are there, the confidence is there.  It's only going to get better with reps IMO.  Looking for this group to get stronger as the season goes on.  

Dark horse for sure.  

• Upvote 2

How good can Hughes become? Does he even have a ceiling? His shot was the weakest link in the chain, but that slap shot looked darned good to me. No weak links that I can see. If he continues to work on that shot, and builds even more confidence, he could do some real damage. I don't think 50+ points is out of the question this year, he might even reach 60. He's everywhere on the ice, and is able to do things with the puck, put it into perfect position, anticipating and reading the play. He's got a hockey mind like Gretzky, he seems to see the whole ice, a couple of plays before they happen. That was a beautiful quick backhander to Gaudette last game, as he crossed the blueline. Him and Pettersson, they're not like regular people. 

Edited by NUCKER67

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nailed it.   Just gazing through some posts and this one popped out.   How true.   Crosby is going to retire a top ten player all-time - and we’ve all been around to witness history.  But I’ve always wondered how he’d have done if players respected him more, didn’t take cheap shots and if he had a gaurdian Angel like Gretzky did.   The abuse he’s endured over his career is actually a little sickening...and I do fear for EP and BB and Hughes.  

When he went out with his last concussion he was on pace for 150 points - in his prime and tearing it up.   Still managed an incredible career and will be a first ballot HHOFer...hard to imagine anyone scoring 1700 points anytime soon.. McDavid maybe...as long as he’s protected. 

Also think Crosby is one concussion away from being a Mark Savard.  

Rules or no rules, teammates need to stand up for each other.  To expect the opposition to do so is like expecting the oil industry to fix climate change... ridiculous.  To expect a league to become progressive and fair minded vs catering to the old boys club and US media market is also ridiculous  

Team mates stick up for each other.  Idfc (I don't &^@#ing care) if its California kick ball, someone cheap shots one of our guys, hammer them.  Don't go ballistic, but push back.  Fight back if needed, but always push back.  If cheapshots are let go then more will follow.  

When the league brought in the instigator rule, they where also supposed to crack down on the causes of fighting, ala cheapshots.  To be fair, some guys like Probert made players better due to the threat of pure violence.  That had to go.  

But the flip side isn't much better IMO.  It could be if the supplemental discipline was consistent and more severe.  

Edited by Phat Fingers